Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Book recommendations?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 4:38 pm
Would love some recommendations for good novels. I enjoy historical fiction and suspense/ mystery novels. I also throw in the occasional classic or a great biography here and there.
I read a lot and I'm running out of interesting looking titles so need some help....
Open to almost anything but sci-fi and fantasy. Again, historical fiction is a favorite, but please- need a break from anything WWII/ holocaust related.

HonesttoGod

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 4:43 pm
I love the white Queen or anything by phillipa Gregory.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 4:50 pm
Have you read Anne Rinaldis books?

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 5:01 pm
Just read a good one called Band of Sisters by Lauren Willig. Brand new, published last month.
Set in 1917 (so, WWI era), historical and realistic but not in a heavy or gory way. If you like it, she's written a whole series that are a spoof of the Scarlet Pimpernel and are quite fun, plus several stand alone books.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 5:18 pm
I'm not sure this will meet your criteria, but I absolutely loved The Island At The Center of the World by Russel Shorto. While not a biography, and definitely not a novel, it tells the long lost history of the Dutch who first settled New York.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 5:20 pm
I love outlander, not Sci fi at all except for the time travel aspect. Lots of violence and romance though.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 5:21 pm
Two Family House Loigman
The Gilded Years Karin Tanabe
Excellent historical fiction

mazelandbracha

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 5:24 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
Just read a good one called Band of Sisters by Lauren Willig. Brand new, published last month.
Set in 1917 (so, WWI era), historical and realistic but not in a heavy or gory way. If you like it, she's written a whole series that are a spoof of the Scarlet Pimpernel and are quite fun, plus several stand alone books.

I second this one. It was fabulous! Also, for the most part, clean.

monseymom25

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 5:26 pm
The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek
The Great Alone
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 5:30 pm
mazelandbracha wrote:
I second this one. It was fabulous! Also, for the most part, clean.

She's got a super fun blog, check it out. She always posts her current reads, and I've gotten some great recommendations from her. She's been doing a lot of (free) Zoom book talks, too, that you can register for. I've signed up for a few and really enjoyed them. Interestingly, she taught a class about historical romance writing in either Yale or Harvard a few years ago, which must have been a fabulously fun class to attend.

naomi2

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 5:33 pm
monseymom25 wrote:
The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek
The Great Alone
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

I just read the book woman of troublesome creek and enjoyed it very much. Could have ended better but very enjoyable all along

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 5:43 pm
These all look like great suggestions. Just ordered 8 books from the list. Keep the suggestions coming. I'll need more soon enough....

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 6:39 pm
For suspense, you can't beat Tana French, I'm one of her obsessive fans Very Happy . I've also come across a newish author, Riley Sager--straight up suspense but pretty good for the genre. Nothing too creepy or gory.

For more historical books, you might want to check out books by Beatriz Williams, Karen White, Kate Quinn (I know you said no WWII but I liked her most recent book about female codebreakers at Bletchley Park).

Her books can be a bit heavy, but one of my all time faves is Sea Glass by Anita Shreve. It's a bittersweet read just an fyi.

Have you read The Doomsday Book by Connie Willis? Time travel, but the sci fi part is secondary to the historical part.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics