Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Mishpacha double take
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 8:11 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
So what does a girl/family do if they would like a boy who learns but can't afford to support a few families at once??

The girl herself needs to figure out how to support her husband. She should get a well-paying job, do with less, have her dh arrange a yissacher-zevulun deal, consider part-time kollelt, etc. Her family has no obligation to have a hand in this.

It's very easy to want a learning boy on other people's cheshbon. If a girl and boy truly want it, they'll do whatever they can to try to make it work.

farm

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 10:44 pm
Although I’m guilty of this myself, having actually read the entire feature, I’m finding it so annoying when people give opinions despite not having read the article.
As has been stated, whether you agree or not, the premise of the shidduch was a mitzuyan poor bachur was redt to a lovely, wealthy young lady and her family promised to support the young couple fully so he could be in kollel in E”Y. His poor parents that could barely afford to send a baby gift for their grandchild are sad and disappointed that merely a year into his marriage, their metzuyan masmid is already ‘working’ during 2 of his 3 sedarim essentially tutoring so that he could put food on the table. So when the mechutanim ask them to aggressively push friends of theirs to a shidduch between their son for the mechutanims’ older single daughter, and remind them to mention ‘of course we will support him/them in kollel 100%’ they balk. How could they in good conscience pass on that information to convince friends of theirs to have their son date the mechutanims’ daughter when their own son married to another daughter who is living in squalor and has already practically needed to leave kollel in order to buy formula for his baby? And when they hint at this when pressed by the mechutanim, the mechutanim hit the roof at the chutzpah.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 11:47 pm
I'm really getting tired of this Double Take column every week. Also Dr. Freedmans and the addictions one (I think they finally stopped it or at least skipped).

It's the same idea week after week. We got the gist of it. Time to move on.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 1:01 am
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
I'm really getting tired of this Double Take column every week. Also Dr. Freedmans and the addictions one (I think they finally stopped it or at least skipped).

I like these 2 columns.
When they are skipped there is nothing for me to read in the magazine.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 9:10 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:

I like these 2 columns.
When they are skipped there is nothing for me to read in the magazine.

They're repetitive every time.
Someone is troubled and the dr/rabbi cures/saves/helps him in the end.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 9:22 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:

To each his own. The Double take column is probably my favorite part of the magazine, and I love almost everything about the magazine, so its saying a lot.

Additionally, since almost every conflict in life can be attributed to misunderstanding/
miscomminication, I love to see the very many ways this can play out. I love how the author is able to take two sides and present them so expertly, so that I find that I usually agree with both. It is so true to life.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room