Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Gardening
Ideal time to start planting

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 8:19 am
When should I buy my plants? Also, I use pots. Any tricks to get good produce out of it? I usually get good tomatoes but my other produce like peppers and eggplant will give me one piece only.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 10:58 am
Anyone?

gamanit

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 11:00 am
you can buy plants whenever but the earlier on in the process that you buy it the cheapest it is. Cheapest option being seeds and most expensive option is fully grown and already flowering/bearing fruit. Peppers love warmth and sunlight.

Tzippy323

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 11:20 am
Congrats on planting! I am a back porch ”farmer” and I cannot begin to tell you how rewarding it is. Go online to Burpees. They have wonderful plants that you can order and they will be shipped at the proper planting time for your zone. A lot of items may not be available right now, as most orders went in months ago. For garden supplies and seeds you can use Guerneys. I have been disappointed time and time again when ordering plants or seed potatoes, but thrilled with seeds and supplies. Stay away from Home Depot, as many of their plants carry disease and it will spread to other things you are growing. Good luck, and happy farming!

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 11:38 am
Tzippy323 wrote:
Congrats on planting! I am a back porch ”farmer” and I cannot begin to tell you how rewarding it is. Go online to Burpees. They have wonderful plants that you can order and they will be shipped at the proper planting time for your zone. A lot of items may not be available right now, as most orders went in months ago. For garden supplies and seeds you can use Guerneys. I have been disappointed time and time again when ordering plants or seed potatoes, but thrilled with seeds and supplies. Stay away from Home Depot, as many of their plants carry disease and it will spread to other things you are growing. Good luck, and happy farming!

Hey you seem knowledgeable. Im the other poster from the strawberry post.
So what would be the best to buy for strawberries. And I see you mentioned to stay away from home depot- that's where I was thinking of purchasing, so where should I buy. And anything else I need to know besides making sure it has sunlight and water?

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 11:45 am
Any tips for keeping chipmunks from stealing my tomatoes?

happy chick

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 11:58 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Any tips for keeping chipmunks from stealing my tomatoes?

We have a neighbor upstate who grows tomaotes and he claims that planting zucchini around the tomatoes keeps the animals away. Seems to work for him.

Tzippy323

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 12:48 pm
If you want to keep pests, especially hornworms away from tomatoes, plant marigolds among them.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 1:00 pm
After woodchucks decimated our cucumbers Sad we made a garlic spray to keep them away, which seemed to work together with sufficient chicken wire. I'm not sure about chipmunks but maybe they hate garlic, too. I would Google.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 1:02 pm
BTW you can start seeds indoors as early as you want, as long as you give them enough low hanging light. Check out youtube for videos about starting your variety of seeds, there's lots of good stuff there.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 1:25 pm
Tzippy323 wrote:

Do you have experience with Azure?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Gardening