Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Teach me laundry!
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 9:29 am
Ok I have a three section divided laundry basket. Please teach me how to divide up loads!
Ex-colds-I have whites, darks, delicates, white shirts
Help!

English3

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 9:33 am
Ye me to it's becoming an emergency in my house. The clean laundry is piling up to the heavens. How do people cope with a clean house fed kids and laundry packed away.I think I am drowning in clothes. I have five kids oldest is six

imaima

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 9:34 am
You decide what type of division makes sense for you.
I have whites, gentle/wool, and the regular where everything else goes. Some people do towels ans sheets separatwely. Some people also have blacks.
You are allowed to have more categories than you basket suggests.

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 9:36 am
For English 3.
A life saver was doing laundry by room (rack kids'room it's a load) besides fire some whites or delicates.
Empty dryer, they're in a bin, return to their room. They need to put it away.

Some of my kids hate that, but it's Bette than me having piled on my couches

LiLIsraeli

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 9:36 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ok I have a three section divided laundry basket. Please teach me how to divide up loads!
Ex-colds-I have whites, darks, delicates, white shirts
Help!

When I had this setup, I did whites, colored (all colors, not divided into light and dark), and towels/sheets.

I don't bother separating whites and coloreds anymore. I do it by room or by person. One day I wash master bedroom laundry, one day boys laundry, one day girls laundry. Towels when I get a chance or when I am close to running out of clean ones.

clowny

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 9:43 am
I have dark, whites and dh shirts. Shirts gets done once a week and every morning I wash another load alternating between dark and whites. That night after little ones are in bed the load gets folded.

English3- solution to piled up clean laundry for me was to wait until my girls are old enough to help me fold. Up until then I couldn’t find any other solution. What did help a lot was when I moved and I had a nice size laundry room so at least the laundry wasn’t all over the house

sky

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 10:02 am
I do

Towels (hot)
Whites (bleach and hot) - I wash whites and white shirts together
Gentle (cold wash and hang)
Regular (I wash light and dark together on warm. If I’m worried about staining I’ll use a color safe sheet but it hasn’t been a problem)

Bras, stockings also get washed separate loads

SuperWify

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 10:51 am
I have so many loads! A laundry basket in my room for our darks and colors, a basket for each kids laundry in their room. In the laundry room I have one for whites, one for towels and linen, and one for white shirts and delicates. Upstairs I keep my kitchen towels and shmattes in a big bag.

With all the cream and ivory lately I think I need another basket 🙄

SuperWify

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 10:52 am
sky wrote:
I do

Towels (hot)
Whites (bleach and hot) - I wash whites and white shirts together
Gentle (cold wash and hang)
Regular (I wash light and dark together on warm. If I’m worried about staining I’ll use a color safe sheet but it hasn’t been a problem)

Bras, stockings also get washed separate loads

You wash undershirts and shells with white shirts?

SuperWify

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 10:54 am
clowny wrote:
I have dark, whites and dh shirts. Shirts gets done once a week and every morning I wash another load alternating between dark and whites. That night after little ones are in bed the load gets folded.

English3- solution to piled up clean laundry for me was to wait until my girls are old enough to help me fold. Up until then I couldn’t find any other solution. What did help a lot was when I moved and I had a nice size laundry room so at least the laundry wasn’t all over the house

Or, have your housekeeper (if you have one) do the folding. I wash all my laundry by Tuesday so that when she comes on Wednesday she can fold it for me. I do put it away myself.

Crookshanks

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 10:59 am
I have whites, casual (pjs, socks, underwear) and delicates (everything else-all clothes and tights). Towels are another load, sometimes with linen. The whites, delicates, and casuals are in my three section hamper, and the towels have their own basket in a different room.

English3

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 11:25 am
Yes I used my cleaner Todo laundry but I don't know what it is some kind of emotional blockage but I would rather do something else than fold

naomi2

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 11:33 am
Wash everything together on COLD.
Wash towels and linen separately from clothing.
Pretreat stains with shout spray
Put tzitzis in a mesh bag
Hang to dry all tzitzis and other delicates

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 11:47 am
English3 wrote:
Ye me to it's becoming an emergency in my house. The clean laundry is piling up to the heavens. How do people cope with a clean house fed kids and laundry packed away.I think I am drowning in clothes. I have five kids oldest is six

You can find some good ideas here.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=.....=784s

SuperWify

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 12:46 pm
SuperWify wrote:

What’s the hug for? At least explain to me if it’s possible to wash white shirts and whites together- something I was always told is a big no.

sky

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 12:48 pm
SuperWify wrote:

Undershirts and white or light underwear with - white shirts - yes
I wash both on hot with bleach so I assumed it was ok. In my house it’s a huge load. I run it with every possible setting (soak, high soil, steam, extra rinse) it takes 3+ hours but is always bright white.

Shells I wash on cold, delicate no bleach

A friend of mine told me she washes all laundry by kids rooms so it’s easier to put away. Just washes everything on cold.
But I like washing undergarments on warm or hot. Otherwise I feel it’s not as clean.
Otherwise it sounds like it would simplify putting away.

Last edited by sky on Wed, Apr 07 2021, 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Crookshanks

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 12:50 pm
SuperWify wrote:
What’s the hug for? At least explain to me if it’s possible to wash white shirts and whites together- something I was always told is a big no.

Yup I do! I never heard it's not okay.

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 12:56 pm
I fo a basic divide of towels, lights, colored, delicates White shirts go to cleaners. I divide it after it's washed into laundry baskets. Each person has their own basket, that way I can have my kids put it away after we fold it. If it doesn't get folded, it sits in my guest room until one of us have a chance to fold it.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 1:12 pm
SuperWify wrote:

White shells need extra care (black ones also do but white even more since stains are harder to remove).

silverlining3

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 6:34 pm
I do dark/colored on cold
Whites, everything included, on hot, I add oxy powder
Towel
Linen
And delicate, handwash-if I have

Towel and linen isn't necessarily included in my schedule, I wash as needed.

If it helps, since I really don't enjoy doing laundry, (doing every day, even its 1 load, would make me enjoy it even less) I dedicated 2 days a week as 'laundry days'. I put a load in washer. When done, I put it in dryer, and right away put next load into washer. Dryer gets done before washer, so I take out load and fold and usually pack away. (Sometimes I don't pack away right away.) Once washer is again done I repeat like before. Comes out I fold only 1 load at a time and not mountains of laundry.

Even it can be a lot in one day, I still prefer this way over having to do laundry every single day.

Don't worry, although I try to stick to my twice a week laundry schedule, life happens, and it can end being that I do do laundry more than twice a week.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics