Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Whooping cough vaccine for family
Previous  1  2

Frumme

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 7:21 pm
What's funny is that my insurance didn't cover a tDap booster while I was pregnant with my first. It was covered right after I gave birth and the hospital administered the shot in the maternity ward, though. Can't Believe It

And yes people can be carriers and not realize it. Think typhoid mary

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 8:29 pm
They give it during pregnancy so you can pass the antibodies to your baby. Not to prevent the mother from getting it.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 9:29 pm
tweety1 wrote:
It's really absurd if you ask me. Totally unnecessary.

Do you understand the science? It’s to pass antibodies from mother to baby to protect the baby during the most vulnerable newborn ages.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 9:48 pm
tweety1 wrote:
It's really absurd if you ask me. Totally unnecessary.

My three week old had whooping cough. It's a nightmare.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 11:07 pm
Yes, I asked everyone who wanted close contact with my baby before 2 months to have a TDaP within the last 5 years. This included both family members and friends. Thankfully I am part of a community where this was no big deal. Many people had had a booster recently anyway and a few got one while I was pregnant in preparation. I also got TDaP while pregnant so the baby hopefully had some immunity but newborns are still so little and vulnerable.

moomles

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 12:02 am
So important for mothers to have the vaccine. My son had whooping cough as a 6 week old baby 15 years ago. I still remember not sleeping for weeks, constantly terrified he had stopped breathing after a coughing attack in the night.

moomles

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 12:06 am
Apparently many people do not keep their immunity so there is lots of whooping cough circulating. Having the vaccine gives your baby immunity before it is born. Newborn babies are particularly vulnerable to whooping cough.

chmom

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 3:36 am
There are 2 things being mixed together here
1 pregnant women should get the pertussis vaccine in every pregnancy because immediately after the vaccination there is a boost in antibody production which are then transferred to the baby and gives it a good protection until it can be vaccinated itself at 6 weeks
2 anyone who has regular contact with the newborn needs to be up to date with their pertussis vaccine in order not to transfer it to the baby. Adults can have pertussis without the typical symptoms

And for those saying that this is a newfangled invention, there are new studies and new knowledge being acquired all the time in medicine which are then incorporated into patient care. Would you like to be treated as per the 1950 standards?

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 3:47 am
I get all of my titers checked every 5 years.

If I'm going to be babysitting other people's children, I feel really good going in and being able to show them that all my vaccines are up to date, and that I take their family's health very seriously.

I also make sure I am certified in first aid and CPR every year.

I don't think that's crazy, I think it's part of being a responsible citizen.

ETA: If you don't want or need the full DTAP, you can ask your doctor to order single vaccines from a compounding pharmacy. You'll pay extra, but if you're worried about it, it's worth it.

I did all of DD's vaccines as singles, after she had a bad reaction to the DTAP. One shot per visit, and delayed spacing. It doesn't have to be "all or nothing."

tweety1

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 5:42 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
My three week old had whooping cough. It's a nightmare.

You hadn't had the vaccine in the last 10 yrs?

tweety1

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 5:44 am
moomles wrote:
So important for mothers to have the vaccine. My son had whooping cough as a 6 week old baby 15 years ago. I still remember not sleeping for weeks, constantly terrified he had stopped breathing after a coughing attack in the night.

Of course it's important. I take the vaccine. I'm just saying that to take it at every pregnancy when you yourself are up to date isn't necessary.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 12:40 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
They give it during pregnancy so you can pass the antibodies to your baby. Not to prevent the mother from getting it.

This! just spoke to my dr about it. It's exclusively to protect your baby.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 4:31 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I get all of my titers checked every 5 years.

If I'm going to be babysitting other people's children, I feel really good going in and being able to show them that all my vaccines are up to date, and that I take their family's health very seriously.

I also make sure I am certified in first aid and CPR every year.

I don't think that's crazy, I think it's part of being a responsible citizen.

ETA: If you don't want or need the full DTAP, you can ask your doctor to order single vaccines from a compounding pharmacy. You'll pay extra, but if you're worried about it, it's worth it.

I did all of DD's vaccines as singles, after she had a bad reaction to the DTAP. One shot per visit, and delayed spacing. It doesn't have to be "all or nothing."

unfortunately in my babys practice its all or nothing. doctor told me he would kick me out if I didnt do them all at once

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 4:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
unfortunately in my babys practice its all or nothing. doctor told me he would kick me out if I didnt do them all at once

I just got kicked out of a practice for wanting to space shots. And I found a new pediatrician. It’s worth it to find someone who won’t force you to do things you’re uncomfortable with.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 4:41 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
I just got kicked out of a practice for wanting to space shots. And I found a new pediatrician. It’s worth it to find someone who won’t force you to do things you’re uncomfortable with.

wow rly? are u in NY? I havent foud any doctor that will allow me to space it out
(im in the 5ts)

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 4:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
wow rly? are u in NY? I havent foud any doctor that will allow me to space it out
(im in the 5ts)

There's one Dr in BP pediatrics that lets me space shots. I dunno if others won't. I have a great relationship with one Dr. Only try to go to him even for sick visits. I started when my baby was over a yr. He told me see you in a month. I told him your month means my 4 months. We had a great laugh and that was that. We had a very open and honest discussion abt shots.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics