Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
A question if you got the vaccine and are happy
Previous  1  2

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 10:32 am
Dh and I are both vaccinated since January (healthcare workers).
It’s up to my guests. On second days, we had a family over where the husband was fully vaccinated, but the wife was in between shots. They preferred an outdoor meal, and they wore masks when they went inside to use the bathroom.
On Purim, we had a family over where both the husband and wife were fully vaccinated, and they were ok eating inside.

Raindropsonrose

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 10:36 am
Like others have said, not worried for myself, but am concerned for children. Especially because mine are in school, and getting covid would majorly inconvenience the entire school community (a two week quarantine for the whole grade).

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 10:36 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Are you concerned that people who are not vaccinated might still infect you?

Are you masking and distancing around them?

Yes. Maybe in a few months I will feel differently, but for now I am still distancing from the non-vaccinated (being that I am in Israel, the numbers of non-vaccinated are going down all the time).

Also I have kids who are not vaccinated yet, so I don't invite non-vaccinated people into my home if I can help it.

I have only recently started getting together with my vaccinated friends and family without our masks. That was such a relief.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 8:47 pm
Teomima wrote:
Both. I know kids usually don't have a severe case, but I'm their mom, it's my job to protect them from whatever I can. Plus even minor cases are now showing relatively long term negative side effects. Would you let your children ride in a car unbuckled just because you don't think they're likely to get into an accident? Of course not! (At least I hope not). We need to protect our children. That's our job as parents. So taking every reasonable precaution is my job.

Likewise of course I want to protect the people they are exposed to. This was an especially urgent concern before the vaccine. We did not share an indoor space with their grandparents for nearly a year, and even then everyone (who was old enough to) was masked. Now they're around other children at school/daycare (b"h with almost all vaccinated/recovered teachers) and obviously I want to do my share to protect the other students. I hope every other parent feels the same way and isn't knowingly putting my child at risk but sending a potentially exposed kid to school.

A child is not considered potentially exposed to covid because the child was exposed to a well adult who has no symptoms of covid and no known exposure to covid, just wasn't vaccinated. I'm not sure if that's what you meant.

Yes we want to protect our kids from illness. Covid is roughly comparable to the flu for kids, as far as numbers that will have severe illness or death, and we've never considered having children mask or socially distance for the flu (nor should we imo).

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 9:21 pm
We got Covid at the end of February my husband who had been fully vacced for 3 weeks at the time was totally fine. Everyone had symptoms to some degree mine being the worst for the kids it was just like a virus for them some had it worst then others. My youngest who has mild asthma was put on a steroid for a few days as he didn't sound great in the night and we had to use the inhaler for the first time in many months.
We were still being very careful when we got it but we unfortunately got it through school spread... Now that we have had it we are enjoying a few months of freedom while we all have antibodies obviously still wearing masks etc in public spaces and all places that require it but we were able to see lots of family over pesach some of whom we hadn't seen in over a year.
When my kids antibodies wear of we will be more careful again I would not want a repeat of what we went through at the end of February... (I am eligible for the vaccine now as I'm a teacher so will get it in the near future my Dr said to wait 90 days from the positive test)

Teomima

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 2:22 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
A child is not considered potentially exposed to covid because the child was exposed to a well adult who has no symptoms of covid and no known exposure to covid, just wasn't vaccinated. I'm not sure if that's what you meant.

Yes we want to protect our kids from illness. Covid is roughly comparable to the flu for kids, as far as numbers that will have severe illness or death, and we've never considered having children mask or socially distance for the flu (nor should we imo).

Any time spent near anyone unvaccinated is a risk for potential exposure. Any time I send my kids to school they're at risk. It's not like other students/teachers go to school knowing they're sick/have symptoms (at least I hope not!). But every now and then a few days later someone tests positive and sends the entire class into quarantine. This has happened to us, and everyone I know, time and again. Unfortunately any foray out the door is a calculated risk. It is a risk we are willing to take for the sake of school, but not one we are willing to take for mere socialization.

And no, covid is not always comparable to the flu for children. Do you know anyone in healthcare? My dh treats patients, children and adults alike, who had a "mild" case even a year ago but are having long term breathing issues, chest pains, gastrointestinal issues, kidney problems, even neurological complications. It's terrifying. Regarding masking and social distancing for the flu, we do exactly that whenever flu virus transmission exceeds certain parameters, causing high global infection rates and qualifying as a pandemic. Look at the historical records from the 1918 influenza (the Spanish Flu). Look at images from Asia during the SARS outbreak (granted not an influenza virus, rather another coronavirus like covid-19.) Not to mention, we vaccinate children against the flu, which is why masking and social distancing for the common influenza virus is irrelevant. A 2017 study by the CDC shows that the flu vaccine reduces the risk of flu-related deaths by 51-65% in children alone.

Covid is constantly mutating. New variants are more contagious among, and more dangerous for, children (and pregnant women). We're always discovering new and dangerous long term side effects, such as Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children (MIS-C). Covid had creeped up the scale and is now among the ten deadliest pandemics in history. A year ago that was unimaginable. Who knows how much worse it'll get before we get enough of the population vaccinated.

Look, you want to take the risk for yourself and your children? That's your prerogative. But don't assume that it's always a small and mild risk.

grace413

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 6:03 am
Teomima wrote:
Any time spent near anyone unvaccinated is a risk for potential exposure. Any time I send my kids to school they're at risk. It's not like other students/teachers go to school knowing they're sick/have symptoms (at least I hope not!). But every now and then a few days later someone tests positive and sends the entire class into quarantine. This has happened to us, and everyone I know, time and again. Unfortunately any foray out the door is a calculated risk. It is a risk we are willing to take for the sake of school, but not one we are willing to take for mere socialization.

Look, you want to take the risk for yourself and your children? That's your prerogative. But don't assume that it's always a small and mild risk.

Liking this was not enough. Thanks Teomima.

fleetwood

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 6:30 am
Once my friend is fully vaccinated plus 2 weeks we plan on going to eat to celebrate my birthday in February. Other than that I will still mask up in public and not allow unmasked people in my house.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 7:06 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

The flu is actually more dangerous for children than Covid. This thread literally is making me shake my head in disbelief, but to each their own. 🤷‍♀️

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 7:46 am
fleetwood wrote:
Once my friend is fully vaccinated plus 2 weeks we plan on going to eat to celebrate my birthday in February. Other than that I will still mask up in public and not allow unmasked people in my house.

Forever? Wow.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 7:54 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
The flu is actually more dangerous for children than Covid. This thread literally is making me shake my head in disbelief, but to each their own. 🤷‍♀️

Thank you.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 8:26 am
Teomima wrote:

It sounds like you are not so much afraid of your children becoming ill from covid as not wanting the school to be forced into quarantine. That is a different concern altogether. While it's annoying, I will say that my childrens' schools did not close down at all this year. Some individual classes had to go into quarantine, but since the beginning of the year, none of my children experienced that more than once, and several never did. So I admit that concern isn't on the top of my list.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 9:14 am
Teomima wrote:

And no, covid is not always comparable to the flu for children. Do you know anyone in healthcare? My dh treats patients, children and adults alike, who had a "mild" case even a year ago but are having long term breathing issues, chest pains, gastrointestinal issues, kidney problems, even neurological complications. It's terrifying. Regarding masking and social distancing for the flu, we do exactly that whenever flu virus transmission exceeds certain parameters, causing high global infection rates and qualifying as a pandemic. Look at the historical records from the 1918 influenza (the Spanish Flu). Look at images from Asia during the SARS outbreak (granted not an influenza virus, rather another coronavirus like covid-19.) Not to mention, we vaccinate children against the flu, which is why masking and social distancing for the common influenza virus is irrelevant. A 2017 study by the CDC shows that the flu vaccine reduces the risk of flu-related deaths by 51-65% in children alone.

Covid is constantly mutating. New variants are more contagious among, and more dangerous for, children (and pregnant women). We're always discovering new and dangerous long term side effects, such as Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children (MIS-C). Covid had creeped up the scale and is now among the ten deadliest pandemics in history. A year ago that was unimaginable. Who knows how much worse it'll get before we get enough of the population vaccinated.

Eh. I'm comfortable with the risk because it's tiny, just as I'm comfortable with allowing my children to ride in cars although the risk of a car accident is far greater for children than the risk of severe illness from covid.

For context, total US deaths of mis-c now stands at around 36, with over 3,000 cases.
Total US covid associated deaths for children under 19 is around 240.
Total pediatric flu deaths for 2018-2019 estimated at 480 (keep in mind the flu vaccine is barely 50% effective on a good year, so it shouldn't do much to allay fears if these numbers bother you)
Average number of US children under 12 (if comparing to under 19 it would obviously be much higher) killed in car accidents annually is over 600, with over 97,000 injured. Of those, *two-thirds* were buckled in.

The numbers, and level of risk, to children from car accidents, is nowhere near comparable to the risk to children from covid. And yes I do know people in health care.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 9:21 am
fleetwood wrote:

This is what I'm trying to understand. Is it because you are nervous the vaccine doesn't offer full protection?

I actually started the thread because I have an elderly relative who cannot vaccinate due to health issues and her fully vaccinated adult children won't have her over.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 10:24 am
I am not concerned for myself but I follow the law and the preferences of people who are with me.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 10:28 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This is what I'm trying to understand. Is it because you are nervous the vaccine doesn't offer full protection?

I actually started the thread because I have an elderly relative who cannot vaccinate due to health issues and her fully vaccinated adult children won't have her over.

I am nervous the vaccine doesn't offer full protection. I mean, that's a fact. It offers over 90% protection (94 maybe?) but not 100% protection.

It will work if everyone who can gets vaccinated. It won't work if half the population doesn't.

If I had an elderly parent who couldn't vaccinate, I would make an exception for her. I assume she is being careful and not coming into contact with hordes of people, or unmasking in public. I would definitely host her. However, the same doesn't go for random neighbors or acquaintances.

Teomima

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 12:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It sounds like you are not so much afraid of your children becoming ill from covid as not wanting the school to be forced into quarantine. That is a different concern altogether. While it's annoying, I will say that my childrens' schools did not close down at all this year. Some individual classes had to go into quarantine, but since the beginning of the year, none of my children experienced that more than once, and several never did. So I admit that concern isn't on the top of my list.

Huh? How did you come to that conclusion? Of course my concern is first and foremost the health of my family and fellow community members. School is practically irrelevant at this point. Here in Israel there have been two extended lockdowns this school year alone. Add all the week-long holidays to that and the kids have already missed most of school this year and that's not even counting the quarantines due to exposures.

Teomima

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 12:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Eh. I'm comfortable with the risk because it's tiny, just as I'm comfortable with allowing my children to ride in cars although the risk of a car accident is far greater for children than the risk of severe illness from covid.

For context, total US deaths of mis-c now stands at around 36, with over 3,000 cases.
Total US covid associated deaths for children under 19 is around 240.
Total pediatric flu deaths for 2018-2019 estimated at 480 (keep in mind the flu vaccine is barely 50% effective on a good year, so it shouldn't do much to allay fears if these numbers bother you)
Average number of US children under 12 (if comparing to under 19 it would obviously be much higher) killed in car accidents annually is over 600, with over 97,000 injured. Of those, *two-thirds* were buckled in.

The numbers, and level of risk, to children from car accidents, is nowhere near comparable to the risk to children from covid. And yes I do know people in health care.

As I said, taking that risk is certainly your prerogative. Me? I think better safe than sorry. You seem to be bothered that this is my approach. You asked people for their opinions, I gave mine, and explained my reasons. You have every right to act as you see fit with your family. I'm not trying to convince you to change your choices, just giving you the reasons for my own.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics