Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Car seat recommendations

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 11:17 am
My 18 month old is very much growing out of her car seat and I think it’s time to buy a new one. But I love the fact that it’s reversed/reclined so that she can fall asleep in it. Is there anything like that for toddlers? Or are they all front facing?
Any recommendations in general?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 11:25 am
There are so many convertible car seats on the market!
The Graco Extend2Fit is a good option 😃

challahchallah

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 11:29 am
An 18 month old should definitely stay rear facing for a while, but many many convertible car seats allow you to install them rear facing and then later switch to front facing. I like the Nuna Rava a lot, but it’s pricey.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 11:30 am
Cosco makes a great convertible car seat, and it doesn’t break the bank at all. It’s also super light weight, super easy to install, and not bulky at all.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 11:33 am
It looks great but is too wide for an airplane seat without raising the armrests (which you can’t do at a window seat, and that’s where they put you if you have a car seat)
Edited to say this was referring to the graco car seat

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 12:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It looks great but is too wide for an airplane seat without raising the armrests (which you can’t do at a window seat, and that’s where they put you if you have a car seat)
Edited to say this was referring to the graco car seat

Cosco fits very nicely in an airplane seat.

stillnewlywed

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 12:45 pm
Graco Extend to fit can recline and can be rear or forward facing. Rear facing until 2.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 1:10 pm
stillnewlywed wrote:
Graco Extend to fit can recline and can be rear or forward facing. Rear facing until 2.

But it doesn’t fit into an airplane seat, which seems to be one of OPs requirement.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 1:44 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
But it doesn’t fit into an airplane seat, which seems to be one of OPs requirement.

We live out of town and fly every so often.

Also, is the cosco car seat comfortable?

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 1:47 pm
I have an evenflo convertible & I'm very happy with it.

challahchallah

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 2:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

The Cosco seat isn’t padded much at all, but it’s super light and fits easily on a plane so perfect for travel. You can also get one for under $50 if you can swing having one seat for travel and another main one for home. The more comfortable seats tend to be heavier so a pain to travel with even if they technically fit on a plane.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 2:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Very!!! My 5 year old is still in a cosco seat (not the convertible one)

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 6:11 pm
Cosco doesn't install nicely in all cars. We find the straps twist and the buckle sticks more than higher priced seats. Not as padded. We use it in our non travel vehicle.

Graco has a slim fit carseat.

If you're doing a lot of installs with LATCH, worth it to invest in premium push button latch vs hook type.

challahchallah

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 6:14 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

If you're doing a lot of installs with LATCH, worth it to invest in premium push button latch vs hook type.

Be careful with LATCH installs though, many have a weight limit that’s well below the car seat limit so you can’t use the LATCH system for very long. You want to check the weight limit for the LATCH install both from the car seat manufacturer and from your car.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 6:55 pm
What is latch?

Ok so I guess these are my new criteria:
Can fit in small cars
Comfortable enough
Can go on a plane
Well priced preferrably

challahchallah

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 7:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What is latch?

Ok so I guess these are my new criteria:
Can fit in small cars
Comfortable enough
Can go on a plane
Well priced preferrably

LATCH installs are when you use the metal anchors at the bottom of the seat to install the carseat instead of using the seatbelt.

When you say you want something that fits in small cars, do you want small front to back or just side to side? The more you recline the car seat, the more space it will take up front to back.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 9:28 pm
Still don’t understand installation guide the latch system..oh well:)
I have a Nissan Versa. The current car seat fits without the front seat being too inclined.

challahchallah

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 9:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Still don’t understand installation guide the latch system..oh well:)
I have a Nissan Versa. The current car seat fits without the front seat being too inclined.

If you use the seatbelt to install your next car seat, you won’t have to worry about the LATCH system or its limits at all.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 9:55 pm
Look for easy to remove fabric to wash and if you plan on using it for a long time, a no rethread harness.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 12:43 am
I agree with the cosco recommendation!
I also have a Nissan versa and we use a Diono radian which is pretty narrow but it would not work for travel as it's really heavy. It does seem to be very comfortable though. It's padded nicely and my kid doesn't have their head roll forward when sleeping as much as they had in other car seats. I have also used this cosco carseat in a different car https://www.amazon.com/Cosco-M.....=8-6. It's convertible so it can be used both rear and font facing. It's not as narrow as the diono but it's almost as narrow and would be great for traveling. It's very lightweight and easy to strap in. The cover comes off and washes well. In comfort it doesn't seem to be the same as the diono and the diono definitely does seem safer being that it's much more padded and heavy. There are other narrow carseats like clek but I don't know how heavy they are and they will definitely be pricier than the cosco option.

Edit: The amazon link isn't available. This is very similar from Walmart https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cos.....true. The Scenera model has lower height/weight limits
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics