Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Question for those who had covid and then got vaccinated

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 6:18 pm
My husband had covid back in April and just got vaccinated yesterday. Today he has pretty bad chills and is very achey, which I know are normal side effects.

When I got my vaccine a few months ago, I had almost no reaction to the first one and got a fever from the second dose. My husband has a theory that since he had covid already, his first dose was kind of like his version of my second dose, because his body already had antibodies. So if you never had covid, you react worse to the second dose because thats when your body really kicks the immune response into high gear. But if you had it already, your body already recognizes the virus so it kind of does that with the first dose.

I'm just curious if this was other people's experience as well. I have no reason to ask except that I find the concept interesting. We are not doctors nor do we have any medical education so I'm curious to hear from people that might know more than me.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 6:28 pm
I had covid in early October and got the first Pfizer dose in March and the second one this past Monday. I had achiness and fatigue for a day from each shot. I was barely able to do anything.

bobeli

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 6:30 pm
I don’t have experience but there are some studies out from Israel that puts the antibody count of recovered people after the first vaccine at a higher level than 2 dose non infected people.
That is one reason some places are recommending 1 dose to people that had the virus.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 6:33 pm
When I got first dose I ran fever. Nothing for second dose. I had covid previously. My Dr says her patients that experienced covid by and large had same experience as me anecdotally

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 6:40 pm
Covid in March 2020
Vaccines in feb 2021
Only arm pain from first
Nothing at all from second

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 6:42 pm
In many cases, the second time your body is exposed is when your immune system gets reactivated, and you feel sick. So for you, the second time was your second shot, but for your husband it was his first shot. He’ll probably feel fine after his second shot.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 6:54 pm
Yes, I have heard this from many people and it is starting to be researched and documented. I have seen quite a few news articles to this effect. It seems like there is a "movement" in the global medical world to start recommending only one dose for those that are recovered for this reason.

I personally am still within my 90 days since testing positive, so I'm not getting vaccinated yet. I'm hoping this idea becomes mainstream sometime soon

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 8:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My husband had covid back in April and just got vaccinated yesterday. Today he has pretty bad chills and is very achey, which I know are normal side effects.

When I got my vaccine a few months ago, I had almost no reaction to the first one and got a fever from the second dose. My husband has a theory that since he had covid already, his first dose was kind of like his version of my second dose, because his body already had antibodies. So if you never had covid, you react worse to the second dose because thats when your body really kicks the immune response into high gear. But if you had it already, your body already recognizes the virus so it kind of does that with the first dose.

I'm just curious if this was other people's experience as well. I have no reason to ask except that I find the concept interesting. We are not doctors nor do we have any medical education so I'm curious to hear from people that might know more than me.

I actually heard this from a doctor who had the same experience (major reaction after first dose). She explained it like your husband's theory.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 8:21 pm
Yes. I had the same experience and so did my coworkers who had Covid prior. We all had it in the first wave in March last year.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 8:28 pm
Ditto for me and my husband

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 8:38 pm
Wow okay so there is actually some truth in it. So interesting!

chanchy123

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 8:41 pm
bobeli wrote:
I don’t have experience but there are some studies out from Israel that puts the antibody count of recovered people after the first vaccine at a higher level than 2 dose non infected people.
That is one reason some places are recommending 1 dose to people that had the virus.

Yes
In Israel, people who has covid previously only resident one dose for this reason.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 9:04 pm
I too covid April 2020. Got my first dose of the vaccine, and 24 hrs later felt pretty sick, symptoms were similar to how I felt last year when I really was sick. Was bad enough that I’m not sure whether I want to get the second dose.

chanchy123

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 9:13 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
I too covid April 2020. Got my first dose of the vaccine, and 24 hrs later felt pretty sick, symptoms were similar to how I felt last year when I really was sick. Was bad enough that I’m not sure whether I want to get the second dose.

As you can see upthread most chances are that you won’t feel a thing after the second dose.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics