Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Birthday present for future DIL
Previous  1  2

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 3:39 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
I got engaged the day of my vort.

Mil gave me a perfume. Loved it.

Baruch Hashem! I would be nervous to choose perfume for someone, you never know how it might smell on their skin...

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 5:19 pm
My birthday was two weeks before my wedding. I got a set of assorted leather seforim (Siddur, tehillim, etc.) with my name stamped in gold. Beautiful and useful.

mfb

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 5:24 pm
Wallet, handbag, camera, weekday jewelry

zaq

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 5:54 pm
One more vote for a small and simple item of jewelry. . For future bdays, wallets, bags, scarves, hobby gear and so on are fine, but for the day she gets engaged it should be something she will keep, not use up, wear out or give away when it goes out of style. Of course consult her mother, sister or bff --or your son--about her taste.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 6:21 pm
WhatAbout a nice new book?

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 7:45 pm
handbag or wallet. Something personal, but not too personal. I think perfume is too personal (unless your son was dating her for a while and you know her quite well. )

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 9:50 pm
Thanks all for suggestions.

I think I might go with a handbag. I dont think she is into jewelry.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 10:03 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks all for suggestions.

I think I might go with a handbag. I dont think she is into jewelry.

OP - go with a nice pair of simple hoops
She will think it’s special

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 10:08 pm
suremom wrote:
I would appreciate an actual item. I feel very not cared for when getting a GC. Like it was a must to get a gift, but she couldn't be bothered to put in thought.
Simple hoops, rings, bags, uggs slippers, invite to night out at restaurant etc.

So funny, everyone is so different. I love getting gift cards as gifts. I don't view it as 'couldn't be bothered to put in thought', I view it as letting me choose what I like, not having to pretend to like something useless to me...

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 10:19 pm
A Kallah has a TON to plan. I think a really cool pocket-sized planner/ cute notebook and a pack of colored sharpies/ pens may be a really good practical gift. Maybe make a gift bag with a bunch of assorted -congrats you're a Kallah - items

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 11:12 pm
Just want to chime in and say kudos for acknowledging her bday at all. I literally did not have a birthday acknowledged by my in laws for at least the first 5 years of marriage. It was so hurtful (and yes they acknowledged with a card and gift for DH and my kids etc but not mine, I felt invisible)

agreer

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 11:36 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
So funny, everyone is so different. I love getting gift cards as gifts. I don't view it as 'couldn't be bothered to put in thought', I view it as letting me choose what I like, not having to pretend to like something useless to me...

Me too!

I'd sooooo much rather a gift card than a present that I hate. I like cash even better.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 1:18 am
We got engaged on chanukah and mil gave me a chanukah gift of a coach wristlet (with gift receipt and picked out by her daughters) which was a surprise and so thoughtful especially bc I knew they didn't have money.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics