Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Question about popular music in Israel
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 10:21 pm
DH and I recently started listening to top hits in Israel on our Apple music and it just got me wondering how Israeli music works in terms of frum/non frum culture in Israel. I have a bunch of questions!

I assume there are chareidi only/dati music radio stations(?) Are the most requested songs on those stations included in the Israel Top 50 or is that audience not large enough to break the top 50 or 30 or whatever songs?

Are dati singers played on mainstream radio? Hanan Ben-Ari, for example, has songs currently in the Top Songs list so I assume so?

I'm not always great at understanding songs unless I Google them. Is there usually a different sound in the religious vs not religious music or not really? I mean I assume the song about the woman full of diamonds isn't particularly religious, but a lot of the songs sound mizrachi, and I wouldn't know. Do you usually know when listening?

Are there any popular dati female singers who would be on such a list in Israel or not really?

Anything else you think I should know as I embark on my Israeli music journey?

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 12:43 am
The dati radio stations play totally different music than the secular ones. For starters, no women, which is huge.
Most dati stations play music that is very Ashkenazi or very Mizrachi, with a clear frum message. They will play some of the dati singers who are popular with the secular audiences (like chanan ben ari) but not as a regular or common thing.

Just like the charedi stations don't play the top requested songs from secular radio, neither does the secular radio play the top requested songs from charedi stations. This is not what the audience wants to hear. You also don't have popular Ethiopian songs or Russian songs or Arabic songs on mainstream secular radio.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 12:50 am
To add - you asked if dati singers are played on mainstream radio. Of course. Lots of them. However, they create music that is geared for mixed audiences. Their texts speak to a secular audience too. In fact , that is usually their main audience.

Most of the songs on charedi stations do not appeal to the secular - not the texts, and not the style. So there is not much overlap. The dati singers who are popular on secular radio are usually not played that often on charedi radio.

Rappel

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 12:55 am
My two favourite dati/haredi radio stations are Kol Hai and Moreshet.

Before I started stopping listening to secular music, Galgalatz was a great station to listen to for pop.

There is some popularity crossover. For example, Omer Adam is an Israeli pop superstar who was chozer beteshuva. היא רק רוצה לרקוד is never going to appear on Kol Hai, but מודה אני might.

DrMom

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 1:22 am
As a side note, I find secular Israeli pop music to be very interesting, and far far less vulgar and coarse than American pop music.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 2:42 am
Rappel wrote:
My two favourite dati/haredi radio stations are Kol Hai and Moreshet.

Before I started stopping listening to secular music, Galgalatz was a great station to listen to for pop.

There is some popularity crossover. For example, Omer Adam is an Israeli pop superstar who was chozer beteshuva. היא רק רוצה לרקוד is never going to appear on Kol Hai, but מודה אני might.
Where did you hear that Omer Adam is a chozer b'tshuva?

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 2:46 am
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:

I doubt he is a BT. There have been rumors for a while that he is becoming closer to religion, מתחזק. But still not what I would call a BT, not last I saw anyway.

chanchy123

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 2:52 am
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:

He’s not, but he does sing a few very Judaic traditional oriented songs likeמודה אני and יום השישי.
There is an overlap between popular dati singers and secular pop culture. Hanan ben Ari Yishai Ribo, and Akiva are popular in both worlds. Obviously, not all their songs work in both crowds.
A lot of the mizrahi very popular singers are traditional and also sing songs with more Jewish are faith themes, many times they also won’t perform on Shabbat even if they don’t completely keep Shabbat. They will perform in Jewish frameworks and with religious singers and frum events like during Elul doing selichot events. Even female singers like Sarit Haddad do women’s shows (she does an an annual show on Hevron).
Narkis is a frum singer who covers her hair and is doing very well for herself on secular platforms. Many of her songs also have Jewish themes. Check this one out: https://youtu.be/P2yhLf848zY

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 2:55 am
chanchy123 wrote:
He’s not, but he does sing a few very Judaic traditional oriented songs likeמודה אני and יום השישי.
Thank you. I didnt think so either, but hey, you never know.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 5:34 am
My neighbor, Yonatan Raziel is apparently popular across the spectrum. He is chareidi.

Lover

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 6:27 pm
Omer Adam became now a BT after Oct 7th.
Its sad that this had to ha Can't Believe It ppen in order for everybody to figure out who Hashem is...

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 6:42 pm
Iymnok wrote:
My neighbor, Yonatan Raziel is apparently popular across the spectrum. He is chareidi.

He’s my husbands absolute favorite, cool that he’s your neighbor

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 11:40 pm
Lover wrote:
Omer Adam became now a BT after Oct 7th.
Its sad that this had to ha Can't Believe It ppen in order for everybody to figure out who Hashem is...

Why sad? The same thing happened after the yom kippur war. Many chozrei b'tshuva.
Hashem makes it so that hard times make people want that closeness with Him. Its just so real. And happens like that.
I think its actually amazing that even after all the awful things that happened, people are coming closer, not running from god.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 11:47 pm
Lately I became obsessed with Shmuel not exactly Hanan Ben Ari, omer Adam style but he's good

a2z

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 1:31 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Why sad? The same thing happened after the yom kippur war. Many chozrei b'tshuva.
Hashem makes it so that hard times make people want that closeness with Him. Its just so real. And happens like that.
I think its actually amazing that even after all the awful things that happened, people are coming closer, not running from god.

Especially after 6 days war

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 1:41 am
If you’re wondering about a female dati singer on Apple Music… check out רוחמה בן יוסף
I recently discovered her and I love her music.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 2:44 am
My Israeli daughter worked at one of the camps in New York this summer. Quite a frum charedi camp, if not to the extreme right. Anyways she found it quite surprising and somewhat amusing that the camp's playlist included some Israeli music that would never go down in charedi society here in Israel. Sometimes it feels that just the fact that the songs are in Hebrew make them kosher, lol.

Elfrida

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 3:27 am
amother Lilac wrote:
My Israeli daughter worked at one of the camps in a New York this summer. Quite a frum charedi, camp if not to the extreme right. Anyways she found it quite surprising and somewhat amusing that the camp's playlist included some Israeli music that would never go down in charedi society here in Israel. Sometimes it feels that just the fact that the songs are in Hebrew make them kosher, lol.

Or perhaps the fact that the girls don't really understand the words?
(Just recognise them as Hebrew, and pick out a few that they understand!)

JasmineDragon

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 3:32 am
amother Lilac wrote:
My Israeli daughter worked at one of the camps in a New York this summer. Quite a frum charedi, camp if not to the extreme right. Anyways she found it quite surprising and somewhat amusing that the camp's playlist included some Israeli music that would never go down in charedi society here in Israel. Sometimes it feels that just the fact that the songs are in Hebrew make them kosher, lol.

I've seen that, too! I remember being in a car where the driver only listened to Jewish music, and we were listening to the handful of acceptable songs on another girl's phone over and over. I was learning Hebrew at the time and I didn't understand all the lyrics, but there was definitely something about a beach, so I highly doubt it would've been acceptable if it was in English.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 4:32 am
What comes to mind is מהפכה של שמחה which I think was remade by some frum singers. The original song is definitely secular, but not really explicit, and it somehow caught on in the frum music scene.

I do think there is a tendency for non hebrew-speakers to associate anything Hebrew as Jewish (which makes sense).

Of course, they also play macarena at simchas. Not English, upbeat, no one really cares that it's not really an appropriate song.

Anyway, of OP is still looking for female singers, Yuval Dayan is popular. She's personally religious but she does sing for mixed audiences. (Some may remember that she created a stir because she performed for Joe Biden but wouldn't shake his hand. Interesting discussion but total side point.)

Unfortunately female singers who don't sing for mixed audiences aren't going to have their songs played on the radio, for obvious reasons.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions