Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Weird question...NEW UPDATE
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 8:29 pm
greenteaorange wrote:
With package warnings it usually says
“May contain traces of tree nuts” (no peanut issue here).
Or “May contain traces of peanuts”

The fact that package says “ May contain traces of other nuts” it’s very general would try to avoid products like that in future.

Exactly! And peanuts is not even considered a nut. It's a legume. And he is good with other tree nuts, as far as we know.

So after I spoke to the company, they said to write an email, and in their response they took back what they said. This is my letter and their response:

Hi. I am writing regarding the Lieber's Original Sweetened Almond milk.
This food is Kosher for Passover.
The carton says "MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF OTHER NUTS AND SOY"
My question is, is there a possibility that the milk may contain traces of peanuts?
Peanuts are not usually included in "other nuts" as it is not a tree nut.
Peanuts (and soy) are also not Kosher for Passover for those who don't eat kitniot.
Please advise asap. Thank you.

Response:

I can double check but I don’t think it may contain peanuts. However it may contain soy as they produce soy milk in that same facility even though from a kashrus point its not considered containing.

I wrote:

Ok, thanks.
We are trying to unravel the mystery of my son having had an anaphylactic reaction after having this milk.
We are only aware of an allergy to peanuts.
If you have any other info, or if you know what other nuts it may have contained, would be very helpful.
Thank you.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 8:49 pm
Honestly I'm feeling somewhat traumatized from this whole story. I'm walking around with this heavy feeling all day.

The baby was not with me when he vomited. I wanted to get some work done, so I sent him with my husband and other kids on a trip. As soon as he vomited, my husband turned right around and brought everyone home. But it was probably 25 minutes until he got home, and another half hour until he got the Epipen. I don't know what would have happened if my husband had just cleaned him up and continued with the trip.

I just worry now that I could never leave the baby with a babysitter. I had planned to start sending him to a small playgroup (4 kids total) but now I'm too nervous to do that. He is so bored at home and loves to play with other kids.

SashaT

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 10:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Honestly I'm feeling somewhat traumatized from this whole story. I'm walking around with this heavy feeling all day.

The baby was not with me when he vomited. I wanted to get some work done, so I sent him with my husband and other kids on a trip. As soon as he vomited, my husband turned right around and brought everyone home. But it was probably 25 minutes until he got home, and another half hour until he got the Epipen. I don't know what would have happened if my husband had just cleaned him up and continued with the trip.

I just worry now that I could never leave the baby with a babysitter. I had planned to start sending him to a small playgroup (4 kids total) but now I'm too nervous to do that. He is so bored at home and loves to play with other kids.

I’m sorry. it’s so hard. The most important thing is to always travel with epipens. We all have what if’s and hesitation. My son with multiple food allergies was in daycare from birth until this year (Corona). We had a very clear plan with the daycare and they had an epipen and Benadryl. He had his own designated high chair. Anyone who took care of him was always left with a set of epipens. All my kids practiced with the trainer epipen and know how to administer it (blue to the sky orange to the thigh- remove blue cap and press orange tip to the thigh to release) The daycare was nut and peanut free, but my son is also allergic to dairy, eggs, soy, seeds, legumes and fish. I also sent all of his food myself. He didn’t eat anything I didn’t send or approve ahead of time. Teachers washed hands before giving him food. We also kept special treats there for him for birthdays etc. He never had an anaphylactic reaction in daycare bli ayin hara. We currently travel to an oral immunotherapy program to treat his allergies. It’s not for everyone, but B”H he is now eating unlimited amounts of certain tree nuts and is working on his other allergens

mammala120

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 10:52 pm
Wow. That’s so scary Op. I have few kids with allergies and so worried. Hope you can Find answers to what might has caused such reaction.

SashaT can you please tell us was is Oral immunotherapy and where you get this done. I am interested

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 11:22 pm
SashaT wrote:
I’m sorry. it’s so hard. The most important thing is to always travel with epipens. We all have what if’s and hesitation. My son with multiple food allergies was in daycare from birth until this year (Corona). We had a very clear plan with the daycare and they had an epipen and Benadryl. He had his own designated high chair. Anyone who took care of him was always left with a set of epipens. All my kids practiced with the trainer epipen and know how to administer it (blue to the sky orange to the thigh- remove blue cap and press orange tip to the thigh to release) The daycare was nut and peanut free, but my son is also allergic to dairy, eggs, soy, seeds, legumes and fish. I also sent all of his food myself. He didn’t eat anything I didn’t send or approve ahead of time. Teachers washed hands before giving him food. We also kept special treats there for him for birthdays etc. He never had an anaphylactic reaction in daycare bli ayin hara. We currently travel to an oral immunotherapy program to treat his allergies. It’s not for everyone, but B”H he is now eating unlimited amounts of certain tree nuts and is working on his other allergens

Thanks for the chizzuk.

My baby is also allergic to eggs, milk, fish, sesame and peanuts.

I should train all the kids in giving the epipen. When I discussed it with the babysitter she seemed too nervous to handle it, which left me feeling insecure as well. Also, the group is not nut free. But in my area, there are no other options for playgroup that I know of.

I think another thing that is hard for me is that as a mother, I'm super laid back about everything. But there is no being laid back with this kind of thing. I have to change my whole mindset.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 12:01 am
I second the “always travel with an epipen” rule.
Truth is, we forgot last week when we went to the park. But it’s important- either keep one on his diaper bag or keep one in your purse and make sure your husband always has one when he has the baby.
(You can’t keep it in the car, because of the temperature)

OP, everything you’re describing is so normal - it’s life as an allergy mom.

(I did send to daycare but you will have to be super careful about where you send and making sure. It often helps to send to a place that has already dealt with an FA kid so it’s not their first time. Even better is if the Morah had personal experience with caring for an FA family member. But I don’t recommend if the person is unfamiliar/uncomfortable.)

farm

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 12:05 am
My cousin was also unable to find a babysitter where she felt confident sending her highly allergic baby. She ended up hiring someone herself and invited 2 other babies the same age to come to her house for playgroup.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 12:36 am
farm wrote:
My cousin was also unable to find a babysitter where she felt confident sending her highly allergic baby. She ended up hiring someone herself and invited 2 other babies the same age to come to her house for playgroup.

I can try that.

I know I shouldn't worry ahout it, but I keep thinking of having to send him off to school eventually..

My kids schools are peanut-free. But it's not like I never sent in a wafer that said "made in a facility with peanuts "...I never realized just how scary it is. Now I feel bad that I didn't take it seriously. But a parent that never dealt with allergies truly doesn't know how serious it is. Some people think its exaggerated or made up to get attention. (For real.)

By nature, I'm the opposite of a hypochondriac. I always downplay everything.

I never realized just how much life is affected when you have a child with allergies. I think I am still somewhat in denial. But the doctor's reaction today really shook me up. Sad

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 12:45 am
Not sure where you live, but in NY you are eligible for a health para to shadow your child in school and make sure he doesn’t come into contact with allergens.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 12:47 am
I don't know where you're located, but Dr. Wexler (frum) is an acquaintance and he does "cure" food allergies using the FARM method. http://www.advancementsinaller......html

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 1:00 am
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
Not sure where you live, but in NY you are eligible for a health para to shadow your child in school and make sure he doesn’t come into contact with allergens.

Not in NY, but thanks.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 1:02 am
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
I don't know where you're located, but Dr. Wexler (frum) is an acquaintance and he does "cure" food allergies using the FARM method. http://www.advancementsinaller......html

Is this the kind of thing where people travel to Minnesota for this treatment?

EtA: Also, is what he does the same idea as Oral immunotherpy?

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 1:03 am
SashaT wrote:

My child is allergic to all of the foods you mentioned, plus a whole lot of other stuff, including wheat. Finding safe foods is a giant hassle....
I'm happy to hear that your child has been safe in daycare. I had to become a sahm because my child kept having allergic reactions at daycare. However, my child needs to start school soon and I'm really nervous about it so it's nice to see that it's possible to remain safe if everyone works together.
Can I ask how old your child was when you started the oit program?

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 6:39 am
Op It sound like Bh you have a great allergist. I’m one of the posters who said about the almond milk, I have a son with allergies and as a baby it was so scary, you never know what causes it. Especially when you’re in the heat of the moment you can’t think straight. My sons now 13 and has outgrown many of the allergies bh , May your child outgrow the allergies too one day. Much Hatzlacha and Hashem should always give you the clarity to know and do the right thing in a ll situationns. I did keep my son home with a babysitter I highered till he was almost 3. It was for my sanity . People who don’t have allergic kids don’t know to think about May contain .....

SashaT

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 11:50 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I can try that.

I know I shouldn't worry ahout it, but I keep thinking of having to send him off to school eventually..

My kids schools are peanut-free. But it's not like I never sent in a wafer that said "made in a facility with peanuts "...I never realized just how scary it is. Now I feel bad that I didn't take it seriously. But a parent that never dealt with allergies truly doesn't know how serious it is. Some people think its exaggerated or made up to get attention. (For real.)

By nature, I'm the opposite of a hypochondriac. I always downplay everything.

I never realized just how much life is affected when you have a child with allergies. I think I am still somewhat in denial. But the doctor's reaction today really shook me up. Sad

I can one hundred percent relate to having to change your mindset. It's hard. I'm normally a pretty laid back parent myself. A pound of dirt won't kill them an all that. lol. Allergies are different, unfortunately. That said, it does become second nature over time. We figured out a lot of safe recipes for him; my other kids learned to wash their hands after eating; I bring baby wipes with me to wipe down hands and surfaces as needed, and we try to remember to always carry his epipens with us. Everyone makes mistakes, of course, which is par for the course. I used to have a lot of anxiety around his allergies, and I still do, of course, but the adjustments do become easier over time. School does worry me, which is a big reason why I enrolled him in the oral immunotherapy program, but remember, he will also be older then, and understand his allergies better himself. There are so many parents with children with multiple food allergies that have successfully sent them to school. My son is not school age yet, but it takes a LOT of communication.

SashaT

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 11:58 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
My child is allergic to all of the foods you mentioned, plus a whole lot of other stuff, including wheat. Finding safe foods is a giant hassle....
I'm happy to hear that your child has been safe in daycare. I had to become a sahm because my child kept having allergic reactions at daycare. However, my child needs to start school soon and I'm really nervous about it so it's nice to see that it's possible to remain safe if everyone works together.
Can I ask how old your child was when you started the oit program?

Absolutely, my child definitely had mild reactions in daycare, but thankfully, not serious ones. I was lucky in that they had experience in dealing with kids with allergies. My son was 18 months when we started oral immunotherapy. We travel to California from the East Coast to do it. The specific program we use SoCal Food Allergy Institute has their own approach to OIT, but it's the same idea of feeding small amounts of allergen to the child over time. Unlike other OIT programs, they first work on foods that have related proteins to the allergen - example eating pears because the skins share proteins with cashews etc. They also were able to work on all his many allergens, not just peanuts. There are other programs that are closer, of course.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 3:42 pm
Just wanted to update you ladies. We went back for a followup appointment to the allergist today. He tested the Lieber's almond milk and there was no reaction.

So at this point, we have no idea what he reacted to and we have to assume that he somehow ingested one of his other allergens (probably dairy) without any of us seeing.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 5:10 pm
Thank you for updating.
Similar thing:
Friday night my ds had allergic reaction.
Had not eaten anything he is allergic too.

Was it a cross contamination in something he did eat? (Not listed on the label)
Was it a trace of some cross contamination in the house? (We do eat his allergens but try to be VERY careful)
No way to know. So nerve racking because we don’t know.

(In fact most of the time when he has a reaction we have not been able to identify the cause.)

Hugs OP! I was pretty upset after his reaction and I told myself, it’s ok, you’re allowed to feel emotional.

So if that helps you - yes, it’s a lot intense feelings- it’s a real thing.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 8:46 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
how do you know if your child is eligible for a health para, and how do you get one?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 11:34 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Thank you for updating.
Similar thing:
Friday night my ds had allergic reaction.
Had not eaten anything he is allergic too.

Was it a cross contamination in something he did eat? (Not listed on the label)
Was it a trace of some cross contamination in the house? (We do eat his allergens but try to be VERY careful)
No way to know. So nerve racking because we don’t know.

(In fact most of the time when he has a reaction we have not been able to identify the cause.)

Hugs OP! I was pretty upset after his reaction and I told myself, it’s ok, you’re allowed to feel emotional.

So if that helps you - yes, it’s a lot intense feelings- it’s a real thing.

I don't limit dairy in the house. It was isru Chag Pesach, the kids went on a trip. Who knows, possibly he got something into his mouth..he has had very strong reactions to dairy. I will never know for sure.
BH we have moved past it. We need to daven every day for our children to be safe.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics