Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
For those that moved away from NYC due to cost of living...
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 9:00 pm
...is it actually cheaper where you are when you factor in higher tuition, food, etc? I'm talking about JPF type - wears colored shirts but black hat (I know! I hate these descriptions too!)

If so, would you be able to describe your area a bit and why you like it?

professor

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 9:57 pm
My parents moved when rent became too high. But now cost of living is high... Oh well. (And we're not even factoring in tuition, just groceries and such)

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 10:04 pm
More square footage for the money but the money is a wash just other gaps that it fills.

greenteaorange

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 10:19 pm
Good question I wonder this as well but more for people living out of Ny/NJ area entirely.
Considering also cost of travel time/ money back to New York to visit family

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 10:27 pm
There's the dollars and cents cost of living, but there's also stepping off the treadmill of a New York lifestyle. If you have a simpler lifestyle (which exists in some places, but not all), you'll save some money, and also a lot of intangible costs. You have to know what matters to your family.

lamplighter

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 7:07 am
I did the math and the cost of living in total does not change but for many the quality of life improves.
Bigger house and yard, less crime, smaller community etc.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 6:21 pm
lamplighter wrote:
I did the math and the cost of living in total does not change but for many the quality of life improves.
Bigger house and yard, less crime, smaller community etc.

I hear that. The flip side is away from family though.

GLUE

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 6:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I hear that. The flip side is away from family though.

Not if you convince your family to move with you

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 7:07 pm
GLUE wrote:
Not if you convince your family to move with you

That will never happen Smile

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 1:15 am
If anyone can respond with specifics I’m very interested in this question. Also I think there’s a diff moving out of NYC to a smaller NJ /CT community where you’re still within driving distance of NYC...

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 8:14 am
So this is me. I'm doing this right now. After being in NYC for the last 12 years, I'm moving my family OOT. We're within commuting distance to my job in the city but from a financial standpoint, yes - I will be mortgage free but between property taxes, utilities, increased school costs, I'm literally spending the same as I was before. The difference is my kids will be in smaller, more individualized classes. We will have 4 acres, a pool, a 6,000 square foot, newly renovated 20 year old house (compared to our 1,500 square foot, 120 year old house before), trees, grass, a huge driveway. We have friends nearby and my MIL and best friend are all moving near us. Iyh, this will be the change of pace we all need to feel less stressed and happier as a family. We get more moving OOT but the cost is really the same. The trade off is the lower stress from leaving the city and the family friendly way of life.

dak11

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 8:23 am
Would love to hear where you can get 4 acres that's commuting distance to nyc.

oodlesofnoodles

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 8:26 am
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
So this is me. I'm doing this right now. After being in NYC for the last 12 years, I'm moving my family OOT. We're within commuting distance to my job in the city but from a financial standpoint, yes - I will be mortgage free but between property taxes, utilities, increased school costs, I'm literally spending the same as I was before. The difference is my kids will be in smaller, more individualized classes. We will have 4 acres, a pool, a 6,000 square foot, newly renovated 20 year old house (compared to our 1,500 square foot, 120 year old house before), trees, grass, a huge driveway. We have friends nearby and my MIL and best friend are all moving near us. Iyh, this will be the change of pace we all need to feel less stressed and happier as a family. We get more moving OOT but the cost is really the same. The trade off is the lower stress from leaving the city and the family friendly way of life.

Where are you moving to? Wondering the same thing as the poster above me.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 8:55 am
oodlesofnoodles wrote:
Where are you moving to? Wondering the same thing as the poster above me.

New City, NY.

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 9:46 am
New City, NY.

All due respect, that's basically Monsey Smile not quite OOT

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 10:58 am
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
All due respect, that's basically Monsey Smile not quite OOT

Agree to disagree. My kids are traveling 30 mins to school, closest grocery store is 20 mins, we have no shul or real community around us (closest is a 25 min walk)... this is pretty OOT compared to Brooklyn. We're hardly in Monsey or spring valley where our friends kids have frum kids on the same block.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 11:03 pm
Agree to disagree. My kids are traveling 30 mins to school, closest grocery store is 20 mins, we have no shul or real community around us (closest is a 25 min walk)... this is pretty OOT compared to Brooklyn. We're hardly in Monsey or spring valley where our friends kids have frum kids on the same block.

No shul? I've been looking in New City as well and was told they have 5. Unless you're referring to the lower area where chassidim are moving

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 7:21 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No shul? I've been looking in New City as well and was told they have 5. Unless you're referring to the lower area where chassidim are moving

Depends where you look. Buena Vista, Red Rock, Concklin, all are the Frum area. Everywhere else is either chabad or nada. The father from Buena Vista you go, the harder to get to a shul.

LittleMissMama

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 9:35 am

You're spending the same because you bought a 6000 renovated mansion. If you wanted to save money, you wouldn't have done that but obviously that wasn't your goal.

Good luck with the upkeep/maintenance on the house and 4 acres!

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 9:46 am
More relevant now than ever so upsetting they are talking about 51% taxes! highest in the country!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating