Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
I want to subscribe to a kids magazine
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 12:41 am
Writergirl wrote:
Hi Fellow Circle Writer đź‘‹

Totally agree with you about the editors - always pushing for better. (Also, so curious which column you write! Smile)

My daughter also writes for the circle!

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 1:15 am
Another Circle writer here. Hi, all!

Love this job and LOVE the Circle, but agree about the serial comics. Way too imaginative and sensational for my taste. Tried bringing it up to the editors, but they weren’t really buying it...I know the kids love them, but kids love unlimited candy, too.

Curious what other Circle parents think about this...

Simple1

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 7:54 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
Another Circle writer here. Hi, all!

Love this job and LOVE the Circle, but agree about the serial comics. Way too imaginative and sensational for my taste. Tried bringing it up to the editors, but they weren’t really buying it...I know the kids love them, but kids love unlimited candy, too.

Curious what other Circle parents think about this...

My kids like the comics. But at one school meeting for one of my kids, we were discussing getting her to read more. It came up in conversation that kids these days like to read comics and they felt it's not so good education-wise because they don't get the full senstence structure and so much of it is in pictures.

avrahamama

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 8:11 am
Circle has a nice variety of articles, serials, and comics. I think they can all stay. They're great. I'd love to see them include some more different types of text features so that kids can learn how to use and read them charts of all kinds (maybe take surveys?) Timelines would be cool too like if they profile a tzadik they can put a timeline of world history along with it to give context.

I love the soft skills that Social Scene teaches and ask the Menahel as well!

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 8:39 am
Simple1 wrote:
My kids like the comics. But at one school meeting for one of my kids, we were discussing getting her to read more. It came up in conversation that kids these days like to read comics and they felt it's not so good education-wise because they don't get the full senstence structure and so much of it is in pictures.

School librarian here: I only let the kids take out one comic book at a time, and not the younger grades. They need to get used to reading conventionally told stories. Comic books are gateways to reading...more comic books.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 9:48 am
We buy Circle and Spotlight. My older girls enjoy the Circle very much and my younger kids especially the ones under 12 looooove the Spotlight. They don't have much comics but they really have lots of amazing columns for younger age kids.

avrahamama

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 9:52 am
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
We buy Circle and Spotlight. My older girls enjoy the Circle very much and my younger kids especially the ones under 12 looooove the Spotlight. They don't have much comics but they really have lots of amazing columns for younger age kids.

Spotlight is very good. It's like the Frum version of Highlights magazine. Very academic but also engaging. It's a monthly.

Are there any other weekly kids magazines aside from circle, that are not the kid supplements in the adult weeklies.

amother
Black

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 10:21 am
is spotlight better then "highlights" bought highlights for my kids and they had no interest in it but love the circle!

in terms of women not being represented as others have said it's really not so in your face. the drawings include women and their aren't so many "real" pictures of people. The pictures of kids has plenty of girls just they are little. Personally we wouldn't feel comfortable with our kids picture in there regardless of gender so doesn't bother us.

I like the teen serials. not such a fan of the comics.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 10:31 am
amother [ Black ] wrote:
is spotlight better then "highlights" bought highlights for my kids and they had no interest in it but love the circle!

in terms of women not being represented as others have said it's really not so in your face. the drawings include women and their aren't so many "real" pictures of people. The pictures of kids has plenty of girls just they are little. Personally we wouldn't feel comfortable with our kids picture in there regardless of gender so doesn't bother us.

Yes, way more interactive and fun. Lots of exciting contests. They highlight a lot on kids talents.

amother
Black

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 12:32 pm
do they come in the mail in a timely fashion or at least give lots of time for the submissions. my kids biggest issue with the circle is that due to messed up mail service it often comes late and then it's too late for them to put in submissions.

avrahamama

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 12:39 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
Yes, way more interactive and fun. Lots of exciting contests. They highlight a lot on kids talents.

This! But also highlites is somewhat politicized. Which annoys me.

keym

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 12:58 pm
Can I say as a mother what I love most about the Circle? 80 pages no ads.
So I feel I'm really getting my money's worth
I hate kids magazines with ads. Who are you targeting? My 10 year old should buy your clothing or treats?

#BestBubby

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 1:15 pm
SEIT here.

Marshmallow is 100% comic book form.

This prevents children from gaining reading skills for higher level reading.

It is more visual than reading.

If you had a VERY reluctant reader, I would use a comic with LIMITS as a reward
for reading a conventional book.

Better to go with Circle.

There used to a good secular children's Magazine: HIGHLIGHTS but it is probably corrupted.

amother
Black

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 1:41 pm
bestbubby- I got my kids highlights because it was on sale and I remember it being good. it was a big disappointment. so sad.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 1:45 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Thanks.

Guess we won't be getting it. We don't do publications that exclude women. (Unless they don't have any adults).

#virtuesignaling

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 2:07 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
do they come in the mail in a timely fashion or at least give lots of time for the submissions. my kids biggest issue with the circle is that due to messed up mail service it often comes late and then it's too late for them to put in submissions.

Spotlight is monthly so the kids have a full month to submit to contests. My kids are always sending in stuff and they usually (can't say all the time) make it into the magazine, but probably because they don't put them all in because they get too many submissions. But not all contests have a deadline, some of the contests can be submitted anytime.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 2:09 pm
keym wrote:
Can I say as a mother what I love most about the Circle? 80 pages no ads.
So I feel I'm really getting my money's worth
I hate kids magazines with ads. Who are you targeting? My 10 year old should buy your clothing or treats?

I don't think I've ever come across a childrens mag with ads

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 3:02 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:

My kids love the Circle and I think it's incredibly well done. Their picture policy does bother me, however. If you're not going to accept pictures of girls over the age of six, don't accept pictures of boys of that age. It shouldn't be that a girl's project needs to be photographed without her -- or even worse, that a girl who has collected Circle cards need to have her brother (or cousin or neighbor, if she doesn't have a brother!) in the picture in order to qualify for the prize.

And the response from the menahel when girls (respectfully) raised this question came across as condescending and dismissive. I generally appreciate his answers, but this was a big fail in my opinion.

I'm not going to stop our subscription to the Circle, because it is really enjoyed in our house, but I would like the Circle editorial staff to know that it does bother some of the target (yeshivish) clientele, and I really wish they'd take a different approach. (It doesn't even have to be that they start printing pictures of girls or women; I'd be satisfied even if they'd stop printing user-submitted pictures of boys above the age of 6 along with the girls.)

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 3:29 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
The Circle currently has a promotion, an afikoman special, offering a choice of a free gift with a new subscription. That being said, I would personally wait until they offer a better promotion, a nice discount on a subscription. They do that occasionally.

I just want to say that this really isn’t a “major promotion”.
A few weeks before subscribing I went to their website and a yearly subscription said $185.
When I called up after seeing the promotion ad they said it’s $195 for the year + free gift OR instead of the gift I can choose to get $10 off for $185 a year.

I skipped the free gift but had a laugh at the marketing tactic.

amother
Black

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 3:50 pm
I definitely agree with you that it would be 100% better if they would just not show pictures of boys above a certain age. Due to the time lag of when we get the magazine and the fact that I wouldn't want my kids in the magazine either way it hasn't seemed to be an issue for my girls but I do understand you.

We are probably NOT their target audience, way to cynical unfortunately. For example the siyata dishmaya stories often will bother my husband.

He'll say basically we did something unintelligent but don't worry, Hashem saved us in the end.

Or they'll publish a story that mentions doing something that we would disagree with but it won't be said as if it's a bad thing. For example the husband gave a way a tremendous amount of money without running it by his wife and she wasn't so happy about it but in the end they were saved and it was probably in the zchus of that money, that's not the type of marriage my husband and I have or that we would want for our kids.

But if we banned anything we didn't agree 100 percent with there wouldn't be much if anything left for them to read so,,,,
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room