Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Resources for teaching secular education

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 10:18 am
DS11 Limudei Chol is deteriorating rapidly (not chassidish). I'd like to do something at home with him and looking for resources.
He reads somewhat above grade level and we have lots of books including some history and science ones.
His math skills are not on grade level and his writing is abysmal. I would prefer not to use Khan academy or other online resources, only books and worksheets.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 10:29 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
DS11 Limudei Chol is deteriorating rapidly (not chassidish). I'd like to do something at home with him and looking for resources.
He reads somewhat above grade level and we have lots of books including some history and science ones.
His math skills are not on grade level and his writing is abysmal. I would prefer not to use Khan academy or other online resources, only books and worksheets.

Keep him reading, what ever interests him
Make sure it’s just a little above his grade level so it’s challenging enough but not frustrating, they call this the ZONE.
It’s funny usually great readers are great writers. Just keep him reading

As far as math, where exactly is he lacking.
You need to go back a bit and see which skills he’s lacking
Math is something that you can’t have gaps, if not the entire building will come tumbling down.

advocate

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 10:41 am
This might be a good option. Very solid, traditional education- accredited. https://www.calverthomeschool.com/shop. Look at the print options. Hatzlacha!

advocate

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 10:42 am
This might be a good option. Very solid, traditional education- accredited. https://www.calverthomeschool.com/shop. Look at the print options. Hatzlacha!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 10:54 am
advocate wrote:

It looks interesting but print only is for K-2. Thanks!

professor

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 11:20 am
There are so many! Brighter vision learning adventure books, all the summer bridge books for 6th grade from Brain Quest and those spiral "summer activity book" books

avrahamama

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 11:27 am
A lot of Jewish homeschoolers I know like the "Life of Fred" math series. It's really written like a novel iirc. So its reading and math combined. Fred is christian and goes to church but the series doesn't do any preaching in terms of yoshka.

What kind of writing are you looking for him to do? Expository? Creative? Or are you more concerned with his sentence structure? Punctuation? Vocabulary?

#BestBubby

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 11:31 am
There is an online Jewish homeschool site - I forget the name. Anybody know?

There are many homeschool curriculums that people use to "after-school" their children.

But some are very christian oriented so be careful.

I heard of a math series called "Learn Math Fast" which teaches several years of math
in one year. It is on Amazon. You can read reviews on Cathy Duffy site.

#BestBubby

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 11:45 am
To teach reading (phonics)

There are many good/cheap phonics books - some are in the library like:

The Reading Lesson, Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading, Teach your child to learn
in 100 easy lessons, Alpha-Phonics.

Also get from library the very easy beginner books "I can Read" series, "step into reading"
"level 1or 2" books.

Also books known as "Bob Books" and Nora Gaydos books.

There is a website called StarFall that has phonics booklets and phonics game.

Math:

There are Kumon math workbooks in stores for a couple of dollars. And similar companies.

Get workbooks that specialize in "word problems" - also called "problem solving."

Singapore has Challenging Word Problems - they are hard so get the ones a grade below yr child.

There is a series called "Learn Math Fast" which teaches from first grade - high school math
and can be mastered in a couple of years by a bright older child.

There are flash cards to memorize addition, subtraction, multiplication and division facts.

There are some games that use a lot of math. I like "Can't Stop" and there was a Math Bingo I had.

Doing puzzles and brain teasers build patience for figuring out math problems.

History

Have children read historical fiction like "Little House on the Prairie" and "Across Five Aprils"
"American Girl" series.

There is the "I survived..." series like "I survived the Civil War" for kids 9+

There is the "I am" picture books "I am George Washington for kids 4 - 8.

There is the "Who was" series "Who was Abraham Lincoln?"

There is the Magic Tree House Series (7+) which has a little history. The Magic Tree House COMPANION books are mini history books on different topics. Very interesting.

There are History Encyclopedias. A popular homeschooled one is Usborne World History Encyclopedia
which is written for kids 8 and up. But you may need to black out nude photos.

Another History series for children is called: Children's History of the World.

and "A Little History of the World."

Science

Lots of great picture books on science.

"The Let's Read and Find Out" series

Dr. Seus Learning Library - teaches different science topics in rhyme

Gail Gibbons picture science books for kids.

There are JEWISH Encyclopedias like the "AMAZING FACTS" series.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics