Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
WWII vs Holocaust discussion with ds

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 3:40 pm
I reminded ds today that it was yom hashoah (he is in 9th grade.) he siad he doesn't see the difference between WWII and the Holocuast. I tried to explain that That there two things happening that the german were trying to do during that time period. World domination was one part and jewish and minortiy and disabled extermination was the other part. He didn't get it. I explained that germany was not interested in killing British Catholics or french catholics etc. they wanted to conquer the land and become wealthy and spread their ideals, if you joined them you were fine (sort of) but except for those who did not fall inline with their ideal even if they said they would change. He still doesn't get it. Am I off base in my thinking? Is there a better way to explain this?

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 5:08 pm
Sounds like you did just fine and we’re pretty clear.

Crookshanks

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 5:47 pm
You're right. It's possible a 14 year old would have a harder time differentiating between the two.

lech lecha08

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 12:46 am
That's basically how I explained it to my kids.
We were watching Bedknobs and Broomsticks of all things last year. There's a scene where all the kids are waiting to be picked up in the church and one of my kids was confused why they were in a church. I realized she thought they were Jewish refugees like Kindertransport or something and had to explain how the Shoah and WW2 were basically two different wars.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics