Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
What to expect at a pediatric rheumatologist appointment

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 8:03 pm
Dc has so many issues and the regular pediatrician can’t figure out why. We were finally referred to a rheumatologist. Was anyone’s child helped by a rheumatologist? What should I expect?

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 8:14 pm
I took my DD to a rheumatologist a few years ago. We spend almost an hour going over her medical history and life. She asked about her what is her normal routine how things changed and other stuff on her life.

It was not the right Shelch for us so I can not tell you about treatment

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 8:39 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
I took my DD to a rheumatologist a few years ago. We spend almost an hour going over her medical history and life. She asked about her what is her normal routine how things changed and other stuff on her life.

It was not the right Shelch for us so I can not tell you about treatment

I guess your dd didn’t have any of the conditions they test for...
I just want a diagnosis!! It’s been a long time to watch my child suffer. I hope your dd is doing better.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 10:09 pm
This can go a few ways: Dr. finds what is the problem and it's something he treats, probably with immune suppressors( though I could be really off on that). Or will find something off and bounce you to another Dr. Or will find everything in order and still give you a referral.

Everyone I've ever mentioned the title rheumatologist has told me oh Rheumatologist are useless. I agree completely.

Hatzlacha Rabbah!! This is so hard!

cbsp

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 10:20 pm
OP, this seemed pretty generic to me but maybe you'll find something useful:

Your Child’s Rheumatology Appointment

https://www.chop.edu/centers-p.....tment

B'hatzlacha!

Shoshie

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 3:31 am
A pediatric rheumatologist can be helpful in diagnosing and treating juvenile arthritis.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 3:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Dc has so many issues and the regular pediatrician can’t figure out why. We were finally referred to a rheumatologist. Was anyone’s child helped by a rheumatologist? What should I expect?
What kinds of issues. They can be helpful if you know what you’re looking for and it’s something they are familiar with. If you’re just shooting in the dark and don’t fit any classical box you probably won’t get much smarter.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 3:55 pm
Sorry if this answer isnt what you are looking for. I hope it can help if you dont mind.

I find that when the Dr is at a loss of what to do, they give up and refer to another kind of dr. The next dr doesnt necessarily know what to do for the situation bt the orig dr feels that running more tests might pick up on more.

Do you want to share a bit of what you are dealing with to possibly get a little direction from others here? Obviously answers here, whether from us who are informed in the medical world and/or from experience - or not, are to share information so you can make the right decision for yourself.

Ever been in a situation and then read an article someone wrote in a magazine even lets say, the Ami. And there, you found an answer you were looking for and then dug deeper to figure something out. Same idea. Maybe we can help in some way. Im turning on notifications for this in case you choose to share info and I can try to help if I can .

Good luck!

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 4:14 pm
Go in with a bit of optimism, even though you're hearing a lot of negative responses here.

I took my son to a rheumatologist when he was having prolonged joint pains.

He was told to come with a pair of shorts so that he would be comfortable with her doing a full body exam - checking for stiffness, swelling and heat in joints.

He was sent for bloodwork and also for a scan - either an x ray or an ultra sound.
She told me that she would recommend an anti inflammatory if there were any inflammation detected.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 4:16 pm
My daughter had juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis. It took years to fully cure, but they were extremely helpful.
Take a picture of your child with a camera that does not have red eye reducer. Are both of their eyes red? This was one of the first things we noticed as each time only one eye was red.
May your child have a רפואה שלמה
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics