Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Vort style dresses- spinoff
Previous  1  2  3

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 5:29 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
But then they said she later wears it to her Shabbos Sheva Brachos and her friends' weddings (which justifies the cost).

Did she hem it in between?

SuperWify

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 5:42 pm
I got mine on sale for $300 and that was considered low range a couple years back. My sisters since have spent between closer to $1k.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 5:47 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
In elegance on Coney Island the dresses are mostly around $2000 and up.

I spent around $700 on my vort dress almost 20 years ago. That wasn’t even considered a lot then. Honestly, my mom was buying me $300 dresses for Shabbos when I was in high school. And my mom is not even a spender, quite the opposite. There’s all kinds out there.

Got my dress there

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 5:48 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
Am I the only one who didn't get a new dress for my vort? I was in shidduchim for a few years and I always had a nice chasuna outfit that I wore to friends chasunas. My brother's bar mitzva was a few months before I got engaged, I got a new nice outfit that I wore to his bar mitzva, a few friend's chasunas and then my vort, shabbos sheva brachos and some subsequent chasunas when it still fit me. I think it was $200 or so 11 years ago.

No you’re not the only one. I did the same by my engagement party including brother’s bar mitzvah, friend’s weddings and my uncle’s wedding. I think mine was even cheaper about $150...

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 10:10 pm
OOT ten years ago: I bought a gorgeous dress from tj maxx for about $50. Then I went to a dressmaker and she remade the top for me so it had a more frum style look to it. I have no idea how much that cost. I loved it but I was never as skinny as my vort (even at sheva brochos lol) ever again in my life.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 10:17 pm
For people who spent a lot on a vort dress, did you also buy your wedding dress, or get from a gemach/rent? And did you choose to spend that much in place of spending on something else, or was it another known expense of the wedding?

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 10:39 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
For people who spent a lot on a vort dress, did you also buy your wedding dress, or get from a gemach/rent? And did you choose to spend that much in place of spending on something else, or was it another known expense of the wedding?

I also bought my wedding dress, but it wasn’t very expensive because it was second hand. But I would have bought an expensive one but we just happened to find a beautiful one for cheaper. I come from a community that spends a lot on weddings.

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 11:22 pm
Wow, my head is spinning from this thread.
I didn't have a vort - got engaged the day before Pesach and then it was sefira and then time for the wedding already Smile
But I can't imagine spending this kind of money Surprised

Quote:
If someone gives you a kitchen aid you’d be shocked how people spend that amount on a mixer.

And sorry, this is an awful comparison. My kitchen aid I used 2-3 times a week for 13 years before it died. Definitely worth the $400! A dress that costs$700, even if you wear it 7 times (which is highly doubtful) comes out to $100 a wear (not counting the dry cleaning bill)

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 11:27 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
Wow, my head is spinning from this thread.
I didn't have a vort - got engaged the day before Pesach and then it was sefira and then time for the wedding already Smile
But I can't imagine spending this kind of money Surprised

Quote:
If someone gives you a kitchen aid you’d be shocked how people spend that amount on a mixer.

And sorry, this is an awful comparison. My kitchen aid I used 2-3 times a week for 13 years before it died. Definitely worth the $400! A dress that costs$700, even if you wear it 7 times (which is highly doubtful) comes out to $100 a wear (not counting the dry cleaning bill)

My point is that when you don’t spend the money on any clothing you don’t have a frame of reference for how much clothing costs. If you don’t spend on an item you won’t know the cost. Nothing to do with a mixer or a dress costs per se. Just because she didn’t pay for it doesn’t mean she doesn’t wear clothing that costs that much.
OP says she gets her clothing from other people and is shocked how much dresses cost.
Are you, poster, surprised that people spend $150 on a vort dress? I’m more surprised that OP is surprised, that’s all. The $700 dresses weren’t even what she was asking about. More of us would be surprised at that than at $150.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 11:45 pm
My vort outfit was $400 twenty years ago. My family was very frugal and I thought it was a lot. Even my wedding gown was only $100 (plus alterations) from the Satmar gemach- and it was beautiful!

$150 is very very cheap for a vort dress. I'd say it's even cheap for a regular Shabbos outfit!

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 11:50 pm
No, I am not shocked people spend $150 on a vort dress. Yes, I am shocked they'd pay that much for a shabbos dress. Especially in circles where it's expected to buy a new wardrobe every season

I buy myself clothing. I don’t think I have ever spent that amount on a single article of clothing for myself in my life

But, yes, I was commenting on the $700+ dresses
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics