Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Frustrating experience with a small business

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 4:02 pm
I don't understand - I ordered something from a local frum business and the service has been terrible. I wanted the product before pesach and ordered it within a reasonable time frame before then - I even asked if it could be ready in time and they confirmed that it could.
A week before pesach when I asked when it will be arriving they said since I didn't specify when I ordered it that I needed it for then, they didn't take care of it and pushed me off until after pesach.
Now it's a few days after pesach and I still couldn't get any responses from the company with an expected timeframe so I messaged them saying that I wanted to cancel my order. That finally produced a response - obviously telling me that since I already placed a deposit it couldn't be cancelled, but at least I finally got a response with an expected delivery date.
I feel really bad that I had to threaten to cancel my order, but honestly that was the only way I got a response. Is this normal customer service??
Since I paid the deposit in cash there was no way I could get my money back, I'm glad that I got a response but really frustrated that I had to do it this way. What could I have done instead?

singleagain

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 4:06 pm
Hey on a credit card so you could dispute the charges if you don't get it

Unfortunately customer service is a hit or miss

Edit to add I think it's really bad for him for the company to decide that you don't need in the specific time frame and that is something to be very careful of in the future

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 4:08 pm
singleagain wrote:
Hey on a credit card so you could dispute the charges if you don't get it

Unfortunately customer service is a hit or miss

Edit to add I think it's really bad for him for the company to decide that you don't need in the specific time frame and that is something to be very careful of in the future

Yes I learnt my lesson to pay on a credit card in the future, but they charge a 3.5% service fee for credit cards and it was a large purchase.

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 4:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes I learnt my lesson to pay on a credit card in the future, but they charge a 3.5% service fee for credit cards and it was a large purchase.

I would not shop at this store.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 4:17 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
I would not shop at this store.

I'm pretty I won't be shopping there again, if it was a non Jewish store I would leave a bad review, but I wouldn't want to do it to a frum business. I just feel bad that someone else might have a similar experience.

singleagain

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 4:23 pm
In the future you also might want to consider getting written confirmation of dates and stuff if you're making an order you know say you want it by this date and give me a written confirmation with signatures and stuff

But you should ask a rabbi about what you might be allowed to say especially if someone asks you directly about the store

tigerwife

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 4:30 pm
I’m sorry about your experience. Not all small companies are up to par in the customer service department. I don’t think it is wrong of you to cancel your order if it hasn’t been fulfilled in an expected timeframe (per the company).

I just want to point out that you titled your thread, “Jewish Owned Businesses”, which seems to indicate this kind of service is common in all Jewish businesses, because of your experience with one company. This is misleading and untrue.

Reality

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 4:39 pm
It could be it's not the stores fault. There are still huge delays in manufacturing because of covid. But the store could definitely have better customer service. So sorry! Hope you get your item soon!!

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 4:40 pm
Completely agree with tiger mom. When people comment with how bad Jewish stores are in a title, it ruins it for everyone.
I used a service of a completely non Jewish business this week, (I’ve been using them for a while actually)
They were horrible as usual. Disgusting to me. Lied there was no bathroom and when I said I’m calling the manager they quickly showed me the bathroom.
They put a sign up when they go out that they’ll be back in 15 minutes. I’ve been waiting by their door for half an hour, no show.
This is a real business, not a mom and pop shop.
It’s everywhere

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 5:06 pm
tigerwife wrote:
I’m sorry about your experience. Not all small companies are up to par in the customer service department. I don’t think it is wrong of you to cancel your order if it hasn’t been fulfilled in an expected timeframe (per the company).

I just want to point out that you titled your thread, “Jewish Owned Businesses”, which seems to indicate this kind of service is common in all Jewish businesses, because of your experience with one company. This is misleading and untrue.

Good point, I'll update the title. Just frustrated because I've had similar experiences at local businesses.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 5:08 pm
Reality wrote:
It could be it's not the stores fault. There are still huge delays in manufacturing because of covid. But the store could definitely have better customer service. So sorry! Hope you get your item soon!!

It had nothing to do with COVID, the item was in stock (sorry I'm being vague on purpose)

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 9:18 pm
The store owner got all apologetic and now I feel stupid, did I overreact? I feel bad that I messaged saying I want a refund when it's not even a week post pesach embarrassed

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 10:01 pm
No. You shouldn't feel stupid. My boss plays the same games sometimes. One specific line that we sell is more time consuming and a big pain. And for a specific reason he is the one who deals with that line exclusively. So he just ignores those customers. Tells us to tell them that he'll call them back and he never does. When they start threatening he gets all angry at them and then calls them back and apologizes and then does it again. Eventually they do get what they want, because he makes good money off it so he doesn't want to lose that line of business.

But it's embarrassing for the rest of us. We provide amazing customer service all the time. But we're stuck when it comes to this one line.

So yes, he deserves to be threatened. And that might be the only way you'll get your product.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 8:59 am
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
No. You shouldn't feel stupid. My boss plays the same games sometimes. One specific line that we sell is more time consuming and a big pain. And for a specific reason he is the one who deals with that line exclusively. So he just ignores those customers. Tells us to tell them that he'll call them back and he never does. When they start threatening he gets all angry at them and then calls them back and apologizes and then does it again. Eventually they do get what they want, because he makes good money off it so he doesn't want to lose that line of business.

But it's embarrassing for the rest of us. We provide amazing customer service all the time. But we're stuck when it comes to this one line.

So yes, he deserves to be threatened. And that might be the only way you'll get your product.

Thank you for this! I'm really not the kind of person who threatens and I used to work in customer service so I know what it's like. I hope it's not held against me - there's still some work that needs to be done before the order is complete.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette