Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
For those that moved away from NYC due to cost of living...
Previous  1  2

Lets_Eat_Pie

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 9:48 am
LittleMissMama wrote:
You're spending the same because you bought a 6000 renovated mansion. If you wanted to save money, you wouldn't have done that but obviously that wasn't your goal.

Good luck with the upkeep/maintenance on the house and 4 acres!

This seems unnecessarily snarky. She was trying to be helpful.

LittleMissMama

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 9:52 am
Sorry, just be truthful.

PSA: maintaining a larger home is no joke, especially if you've moved from a city apartment. (which is what we did years ago. I always say my house is like another child.)

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 9:54 am
LittleMissMama wrote:
You're spending the same because you bought a 6000 renovated mansion. If you wanted to save money, you wouldn't have done that but obviously that wasn't your goal.

Thanks, lol. I'm not worried. Bh, I make an excellent parnassa and can pay a landscaper and for cleaning help.

amother
Tan

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 9:58 am
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
Thanks, lol. I'm not worried. Bh, I make an excellent parnassa and can pay a landscaper and for cleaning help.

Crisis averted. Wink But I don't think you're in the same situation then as the OP. Most people looking to leave the higher cost of living are struggling financially to some extent.

OP, everyone's situation is different based on the tuition for the type of school they send to and their careers. Some fields pay so much less in some cities. You have to really investigate before making a move. Hatzlacha

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 10:04 am
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
Crisis averted. Wink But I don't think you're in the same situation then as the OP. Most people looking to leave the higher cost of living are struggling financially to some extent.

OP, everyone's situation is different based on the tuition for the type of school they send to and their careers. Some fields pay so much less in some cities. You have to really investigate before making a move. Hatzlacha

This. I'm not in a kollel type situation and we didn't move to save money. We moved to change our pace of life and lifestyle. Very different reasons. We also did our research and knew the total cost would be the same but that meant affordable, for us.

amother
Copper

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 10:11 am
If you're looking solely at dollars and cents, you're going to be sorely disappointed. A suburban lifestyle will likely require 2 cars and all the costs that come with that. You'll need the equipment to care for your lawn/yard or pay a landscaping service (since lawn care takes up a lot of time). The cost of heating and cooling a larger space is a lot. You save on the housing, but those savings just end up going to cars, utilities, and maintenance costs. I'm not saying you shouldn't move. There are many good reasons to, like more space, privacy, generally more relaxed vibe. But if you're looking solely at money, you're not going to come out as far ahead as you think, or even at all.

tweety1

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 10:12 am
LittleMissMama wrote:

Sometimes is not abt saving money but what you're getting for your money and quality of life. Exp, spending 1 million for a house in Brooklyn and spending 1 million for a house in New City, what are you getting in each location.

watergirl

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 10:25 am
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
If you're looking solely at dollars and cents, you're going to be sorely disappointed. A suburban lifestyle will likely require 2 cars and all the costs that come with that. You'll need the equipment to care for your lawn/yard or pay a landscaping service (since lawn care takes up a lot of time). The cost of heating and cooling a larger space is a lot. You save on the housing, but those savings just end up going to cars, utilities, and maintenance costs. I'm not saying you shouldn't move. There are many good reasons to, like more space, privacy, generally more relaxed vibe. But if you're looking solely at money, you're not going to come out as far ahead as you think, or even at all.

Really? I got a used lawnmower from craigslist. It was $100 and works perfectly. The time it takes for lawn care and upkeep truly depends on the size of property. Not everyone who leaves NYC moves to a McMansion. Just the lower property tax itself saves more per year to make it worth it; property tax per year costs more in some areas than I am paying per year for my 2 cars, utilities, etc.

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 10:35 am
I definitely saved money by moving out of New York, but that was a long time ago so maybe the equation has changed.

Savings #1 - lower car insurance. We were unable to afford a car in New York and we were able to afford it when we moved.

Savings #2 - lower taxes. New York city has the highest taxes ever - city taxes PLUS state taxes. Some states do not have income tax at all.

Savings #3 - because we now had a car, I was able to shop around at different stores for best prices. Especially in clothing, this was a savings (now that we all have internet I'm not sure how relevant this is).

#4 - this is not a savings but it sort of is - we moved from a 800 square foot apartment to a 2400 square foot townhouse, and we were paying just $200 dollars more a month. So technically not savings but if we were looking for a larger apartment it would have cost us WAY more than $200 a month in New York city.

Some costs are higher - food is a little higher out of New York but it can balance out if you start shopping at stores like Shop Rite and Aldi's. DH had higher commuting costs. Tuition for us was about the same in both places but obviously every community is different.

watergirl

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 10:37 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No shul? I've been looking in New City as well and was told they have 5. Unless you're referring to the lower area where chassidim are moving

I know a frum women who moved to a condo in New City and there is nothing frum where she is. I think she was hoping frum people would move to where she is and that her condo would be worth a lot more; this was a gamble she thought would pay off and she would make a lot more on the condo than she paid for it, but in 4 years so far it has not happened.

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 10:57 am
I moved from Queens to Baltimore a few years ago.
My rent in Queens for a tiny apartment was about $1200 a month. I pay about the same now for my mortgage + insurance + taxes for a full house.

Yes my gas/electric is more here, but it would be in any transition from an apartment to a house.

My tuition is slightly higher but not much. In NY we had registration fees of $600+ per kid that wasn't applied towards tuition, mandatory dinner fees, etc. Here the registration is more like $100 per kid (after the first year) and most schools it's applied toward tuition. Attending the school dinner is optional. So the bottom line it's only a little higher after adding all the fees we had in NY.

Yes, we need a car (actually 2) but our insurance is cheaper and we're paying for gas instead of bus, taxi and car service costs.

There are some drawbacks (no free busing to school and you really need a car because everything is spread out), but the good totally outweigh the bad.

Food in the kosher stores is a bit more, but walmart, target, aldi's, etc have tons of Kosher food that is cheap.

In terms of salary--We did have to transfer and switch jobs. My salary dropped by a couple thousand dollars initially, but went up with a promotion shortly after and my husband's actually went up shortly after moving when he got a new job. But I guess that depends on your field of work and years of experience.

I do feel we are ahead financially and have a better quality of life.

And I love living in Baltimore. It's such a warm, accepting community no matter what level of yiddishkeit you are. We have a small chasidish community, a sefardi community, yeshivish, modern orthodox and everything in between. We all get along and interact. Many send to the same schools.

amother
Vermilion

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 11:10 am
We have moved away from NY and you definitely get more for your money. You don't save much money, but the quality of life is certainly worth it. In the neighborhood where I live though, there is a rat race going on. Lots of peer pressure between a certain shuls members. Fanciest cars, wigs, brand names etc. B'h we are not part of that shul, but I honestly don't know how these people afford their lifestyles. So before you move out, inquire regarding the neighborhood and shuls.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating