Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Myrtle Beach South Carolina- is it safe for one woman alone?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 7:52 pm
I want to go away by myself.

I'm bored from Florida and I want something newish but at the same time I want to be in a place where it is safe for me to be alone.

What do you know about Myrtle Beach SC?

I looked at several hotels in the area and all of them have reviews that say the police was there at some point during their stay or something to that effect.

And not to mention that they all had roaches in the room. Roaches. In the most expensive hotels.

Um...

I feel that I'm not informed enough about the area to do a good search.

Can anyone educate me and also tell me where you had a good stay?

I booked a flight for next week but I can still cancel or change.

Any info appreciated.
Thanks!

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 8:47 pm
What else is there to do in Myrtle Beach?

proudmomma

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 9:33 pm
I've been there about 5 times in the last 3 years. I never saw the police or roaches. I've stayed at Dunes Village , Breakers, and the Caribbean. I have never been there during peak season- Spring or summer- though...

It's an incredible place! Beautiful and affordable with tons of cool things to do.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 9:37 pm
I think of myrtle beach safari. Dreaming to meet kody antle the real life Tarzan lol

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 8:52 am
proudmomma wrote:
I've been there about 5 times in the last 3 years. I never saw the police or roaches. I've stayed at Dunes Village , Breakers, and the Caribbean. I have never been there during peak season- Spring or summer- though...

It's an incredible place! Beautiful and affordable with tons of cool things to do.

Oh really?! I wasn't sure and couldn't wait to book so I booked myself a different location with a private place to stay in.

Were you there by yourself? Do you think it is safe to be there alone?

Where did you get food?

What are the things you did? (Not that I'm looking for anything more than a beach but still)

Thanks!

amother
Copper

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 9:28 am
As long as there are men in the world, a woman is never safe, especially when she's alone.

amother
Beige

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 9:34 am
If you'll be staying in at night and won't be renting a boat by yourself you'll be fine. But stay in after dark. Myrtle Beach is beautiful. Sit on the beach if it's not too cold now, take in a "Broadway" show at their theater if it's open, and just chill. There still might be that kosher grocery/eat-in for simple food. Call Pita Planet and find out if they're open.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 9:38 am
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
As long as there are men in the world, a woman is never safe, especially when she's alone.

As long as there are humans in the world, NO one will be safe....
Of course women can be safe, and some places are safer than others. I prefer not to live my life in fear that danger lurks around every corner.

Crookshanks

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 10:57 am
I wouldn't travel alone. I'm not brave enough. It's great that you can OP!

tigerwife

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 11:25 am
It’s worth spending on an expensive hotel because you will end up in a nicer area. I had a lovely vacation there a couple of years ago. I am trying to remember the name of my hotel; it was gorgeous and clean and by default had a clientele who would spend more. I don’t mean this in a bigoted way; there is a very seedy population in MB who you will want to avoid.

I didn’t know until the last day of my trip that Myrtle Beach is one of the most dangerous cities in the US and has one of the highest numbers in human trafficking, as told to us by an Uber driver. So yes, if you use Uber, take care that you are getting into the right car! Do not talk to strangers nor accept things from strangers (we saw a shady guy handing out stuff, who knows what it was laced with, and naive tourists were flattered by him). We were also approached by a guy asking if we saw his daughter anywhere- he was walking around with a photo of her and hadn’t seen her since the day before. In every women’s room there was a sign for a human trafficking emergency number.

That being said, I felt safe there. I’m from NYC, so avoiding creepy people is something I’ve been brought up with lol. At night, we joined the crowds at the Ferris wheel area. During the day, we hung out at our hotel’s beautiful pool and beachfront. There are also many mini-golfing places there. We brought from meals from home and warmed them up double wrapped in our room (no kosher food to take out there afaik).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics