Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Would you consider a mobile home as your summer home?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 4:41 pm
Looking to buy a house upstate, but not too many houses on the market right now. Those on the market in decent condition are either over $200,000, or are around $100,000 but are usually shabby with a very small lot and no privacy.

There are mobile homes for sale on nice size lots (> acre) that are more affordable.
They look great inside, but I understand that they may not be as durable as a real house.
For a summer home -- would you do it? Why or why not?

We are not looking to be part of a colony; just to have some quiet space to spend time as a family and enjoy some nature.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 4:53 pm
Depends on how many people you’ll have with you. I’ve been on vacation in them, they have home conveniences but are not spacious. If you’ll be spending most of your time outdoors and have a vehicle besides that, go for it!
I would totally do it with my 2 kids.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 8:56 pm
Thanks for your perspective!

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 8:58 pm
When you say mobile home do you mean one that drives around or do you mean a trailer home ?

tigerwife

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 8:58 pm
It depends on the mobile home. I personally wouldn’t be happy manually draining the sewage long term.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 8:59 pm
Mobile homes are not spacious and I would not handle being in a crowded house. I also don't think it pays to buy a home upstate that you won't be able to get year round use out of. $200K is a very good price for nowadays. Prices are only going up.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 2:05 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
When you say mobile home do you mean one that drives around or do you mean a trailer home ?

It is a manufactured home (I guess more similar to a trailer). Not for driving around like an RV.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 2:07 pm
tigerwife wrote:
It depends on the mobile home. I personally wouldn’t be happy manually draining the sewage long term.

I hear you. But there is a pump for that. And I think you only have to do it once a year or every other year. It is not an ongoing maintenance thing, as far as I understand, but I could be wrong.

challahchallah

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 5:12 pm
I would be cautious about resale value. I’d want my summer home to be both something I could enjoy now, but also a sound financial investment.

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 5:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It is a manufactured home (I guess more similar to a trailer). Not for driving around like an RV.

You mentioned it’s only in 1 acre of property. It should be extremely cheap then. Like $50k or less for a lot that small and a trailer in the Catskills.
My in laws live there and one of my single BILs purchased a trailer home on 8 acres a few years ago and he paid $70K for the entire thing.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 1:56 am
This mobile home comes with a 3 acre lot.

And yes, prices have changed in the last couple of years, and especially since covid.

The demand is greater than the supply.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 5:30 am
Have you looked into tannersville and Hunter? Or maybe Fleischmans NY? I’m suggesting these areas upstate because you might be able to find a home there, enjoy the benefits of being upstate and also be close enough to minyanim and a kosher grocery.
How many bedrooms does the mobile home have and how much does it cost? I’ve been to some that are narrow and small and others that almost feel like a regular house. Can you describe the layout?
For this summer it might be better to rent if you don’t find something and continue looking for next year when hopefully prices might drop a little.

Crookshanks

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 9:53 am
Mobile homes are not so bad these days. People move into them as long term, permanent homes. As long as they are built well, and they have enough space for your family, go for it! The land is a definite plus.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics