Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Roadblocks - Chava and Shalom (Ami Magazine)
1  2  Next

agreer

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 8:34 pm
Let's start a new discussion here. The other thread is getting too long.

Also...it's Shalom, not Shulem. Shulem is from Shtisel.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 8:36 pm
I wish Ami would have just left this for dead already. Seriously no one cares about stupid chava and shalom!!!!! Especially if the writing in this one is going to be as bad as the original

Debbie

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 9:47 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
I wish Ami would have just left this for dead already. Seriously no one cares about stupid chava and shalom!!!!! Especially if the writing in this one is going to be as bad as the original

Please don't assume that no one cares; it seems from the recent letters in Ami Living that some ladies certainly seem to care....almost to the point that you would think Chava and Shalom are real!
As for me I just hope this sequel doesn't go on for months!

agreer

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 10:10 pm

I care! I felt like the original story was great, and very original...but slow-moving.

I was so excited when this one came back, but this first installment has been s-l-o-w.

Debbie

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 10:18 pm
agreer wrote:
I care! I felt like the original story was great, and very original...but slow-moving.

I was so excited when this one came back, but this first installment has been s-l-o-w.

I also enjoyed the original story, I agree though that it was slow moving.

Hopefully this new one won't continue at the slow pace it started with...we will have to wait and see!

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 6:13 am
It intrigues me, the addictive element to this story, that despite the slow pace of the storyline, and despite the disappointment each week that it's still so slow, most Ami readers are hooked and curiously await each week's installment.

I wonder if it's the real life resemblance, where life does seem to drag on, in particular when going through darker patches, that makes everyone feel so emotionally attached here.

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 6:38 am
Especially if the writing in this one is going to be as bad as the original

It most definitely will be.
It boggles my mind how people enjoy this.

I'm glad I guess there's something out there for people who enjoy bad writing.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 2:43 pm
I can't believe Shalom and Chava were mature enough to date and get married. They are literally the two most immature fictional characters I ever had the misfortune to read about. Chava was acting like a tantruming seven-year-old in this week's installment. She has absolutely no social skills or patience.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 2:45 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
I can't believe Shalom and Chava were mature enough to date and get married. They are literally the two most immature fictional characters I ever had the misfortune to read about. Chava was acting like a tantruming seven-year-old in this week's installment. She has absolutely no social skills or patience.

Oooh can you tell us what happened in this week's?

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 2:58 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:

Did you read the ami supplement over pesach about the two single women in their mid thirties? They wrote them as absolute babies. For some reason- these magazines portray the women as immature, non communicative and silly.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 4:57 pm
Yes and I agree. They were acting very immature - and one of them was supposed to be a school principal.

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 6:23 pm
Debbie wrote:
Please don't assume that no one cares; it seems from the recent letters in Ami Living that some ladies certainly seem to care....almost to the point that you would think Chava and Shalom are real!
As for me I just hope this sequel doesn't go on for months!

I'm not going to give my opinion of the story one way or another but I thought I should mention that: good friends will write letters to the editor to support their writer-friend no matter how amazing or dreadful the writing really is.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 6:29 pm
What is so intriguing about this couple that prompts so much discussion?

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 6:43 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
I'm not going to give my opinion of the story one way or another but I thought I should mention that: good friends will write letters to the editor to support their writer-friend no matter how amazing or dreadful the writing really is.

That’s what me and my kids think. It must be that because it is literally the most poorly written serial in magazine history.
Even my high school daughters make fun of the lack of depth, plot and anything else they learnt in 7th grade literature class.
The other theory is that it’s a lot of pre teens that like the story (even though everything in the aim is better then that).

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 6:56 pm
I don't buy the Ami. But I get to read it occasionally, whenever I'm by my parents. Honestly I found it way way to shlepped out. I could miss a few weeks, and when I continue reading, I felt I didn't miss anything. Was always the same. Chava always crying and falls asleep. .. next thing she knows it's hours later..... Always the same..

Debbie

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 9:58 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:

That's a good point, but I wonder if any of those friends would privately tell the author that there is room for literary improvement.

Debbie

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 10:11 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
I don't buy the Ami. But I get to read it occasionally, whenever I'm by my parents. Honestly I found it way way to shlepped out. I could miss a few weeks, and when I continue reading, I felt I didn't miss anything. Was always the same. Chava always crying and falls asleep. .. next thing she knows it's hours later..... Always the same..

I did enjoy the story, although I agree it was shlepped out, and nothing much really changed. I know it wasn't great writing but I've seen worse.
As for the sequel, I can't say I'm impressed so far.

realsilver

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 11:30 am
I heard that the writer of the serial is related to the publisher, so they’re a little biased.
Anyone heard this?

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 11:33 am
realsilver wrote:
I heard that the writer of the serial is related to the publisher, so they’re a little biased.
Anyone heard this?

No but based on some personal past experiences with ami I wouldn’t be surprised.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 4:57 pm
I was happy to see there's a sequel but... it's literally more of the same.
Every week there's a dramatic cliffhanger, multiple chaotic things happen at the same time, and there's always so much miscommunication.
In this week's installment, can you explain to me why Chava didnt have the decency to tell shifra that she actually hadn't gotten to see Sholom? Of course Shifra thinks she's selfish and self-centered if she's denying her mother-in-law a chance to see Sholom, without explaining that she hasn't seen him yet. It's an over-exaggerated plot device to intentionally leave out information and keep everyone in suspense.
But I guess that's what draws people to the serial.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room