Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
SEIT- Collecting unemployment over Pesach
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 11:58 am
There's no school this week, I would've worked but now I can't....

watergirl

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 12:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

If you feel you should apply, go ahead. If you get it, great and if not, then you have your answer. (Be aware that some people have had to pay back their unemployment from the start of covid because it was given to all who applied and only after were cases investigated, so those who did not truly qualify were in a pickle. The only people I know who that happened to are on this site and I do not know them IRL)

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 12:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

When you signed contract for the year, were you given the yearly schedule and you knew that there won't be school on pesach?

amother
White

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 12:13 pm
watergirl wrote:
If you feel you should apply, go ahead. If you get it, great and if not, then you have your answer. (Be aware that some people have had to pay back their unemployment from the start of covid because it was given to all who applied and only after were cases investigated, so those who did not truly qualify were in a pickle. The only people I know who that happened to are on this site and I do not know them IRL)
Pandemic unemployment is different from regular. With regular ui they usually make sure you qualify before paying out. But now during the pandemic who knows what’s going on.
I’d probably call the ui office and try to talk to someone first. That’s what I did, actually.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 12:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

To reiterate, unemployment is not to make up for unpaid vacation days. If you took a job in a Jewish school you knew there would be vacation for pesach

UE is if you are laid off your job and actively looking for a new job.

It is not allowed in NY to claim UE on vacation days. My agency is very ethical and honest and told us that clearly. They are not looking to prevent us from getting UE, and they always inform us when we are eligible for any sort of benefit.

Why don't you call the unemployment office, tell them the school you work in is closed the next two weeks for Passover vacation, and ask if you are eligible. Or just do whatever you want and hope that you are not audited.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 1:16 pm
amother [ White ] wrote:
My agency tried to tell us that too. But then they had summer hours and some tutors did have work over the summer. So they weren’t able to dispute our unemployment. Believe me if I weren’t entitled they would have fought me. They were a non Jewish agency and awful to work for and I’m so happy I left. But I did get summer unemployment because according to the state of nj I was entitled.
If you’re only unemployed for a few months you don’t need to take a job as a Morah, the state lets you hold out for a job similar to what you had during the year. At least that’s how it works in nj.
Again I don’t work for them anymore and I’m thankful for that. But that’s how it was.

So you applied for unemployment even though you work as a contractor, got the unemployment money through your agency, and then you quit? That seems very unethical.

naomi2

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 1:30 pm
The answer is no
I'm not sure why there are so many responses. You still have a job. The school calendar has closures for holidays all the time and the policy that you knew when you took the job is that vacation will be unpaid days.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 1:34 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
When you signed contract for the year, were you given the yearly schedule and you knew that there won't be school on pesach?

Don't recall getting a schedule before signing my contract

amother
White

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 1:53 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
So you applied for unemployment even though you work as a contractor, got the unemployment money through your agency, and then you quit? That seems very unethical.
No. I quit 3 years later. Good story though. Confused

I worked for that place for 7 years, for those who were wondering. Was 100% open with the unemployment office.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 1:57 pm
amother [ White ] wrote:
Actually I called up nj unemployment and was told this isn’t true. Because I wasn’t a teacher but a tutor, and my agency did have tutors working for them over the summer. They just didn’t have enough hours for everyone and I didn’t get.
I was told to apply and specify that I was a seasonal worker. I didn’t have to look for a job because I planned to work again as soon as my agency had more hours.
But they told me to answer that I was looking for a job because that’s how the system is set up and it won’t let you claim if you answer “wrong”.
Again this was in nj. But people had told me the same info that you’re saying and according to the representatives from the unemployment office, they were wrong.

WADR, they told you to commit fraud. You're not responsible for their actions, but they're wrong. In order to collect unemployment, you have to be willing to accept another position.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 2:00 pm
Isn't there a waiting period for unemployment. The two weeks might be too short.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 2:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Don't recall getting a schedule before signing my contract

Oh please. If you work in a jewish school you knew there would be unpaid pesach vacation. Actually, every school, Jewish or not, has holiday vacations throughout the year, and the nature of our job is that those vacation days are unpaid because we are paid hourly

amother
White

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 2:28 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
WADR, they told you to commit fraud. You're not responsible for their actions, but they're wrong. In order to collect unemployment, you have to be willing to accept another position.
I hope not. Confused Too late now though.
Also I would have taken another position but there wasn’t a comparable one available.

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 2:51 pm
Public schools will be closed, too, for Easter break. I don't see how it would be approved.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 3:48 pm
Two unemployment nj laws
1) someone who’s works in school setting cannot file during a school wide recess
2 ) if There is an offer to return to work for a school employer when the recess period ends one may not be eligible for unemployment.

That is from the unemployment website .

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 3:38 pm
Some might claim because "no work was available." Maybe ask a rabbi. Obviously not worth applying now (I know this is moot now) for 1 wk.
But for summer... I do seit/p3... I usually work summers. If they dont have hrs available for me, I CAN apply for unemployment because I dont work for a school (rather an agency) and there is never a guarantee I will have full time work in September... Sometimes I start with very few hours.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics