Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Attention working moms: Why do you work?
Previous  1  2  3

Why do you work?
1) Money  
 64%  [ 138 ]
2) Passion for what I do  
 8%  [ 18 ]
3) To feel accomplished  
 12%  [ 26 ]
4) To keep myself busy  
 6%  [ 15 ]
5) To socialize  
 2%  [ 6 ]
6) Status (I feel good about my position/ title)  
 1%  [ 4 ]
7) For an excuse not to do housework  
 2%  [ 5 ]
8) My husband wants me to work  
 0%  [ 1 ]
9) IDK!! I should really quit  
 0%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 215

icebreaker

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 4:38 am
Combination of some of the choices. Money, I like what I do (although I’m ready for a change), keep myself busy, socialize, etc.

amother
Tan

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 5:19 am
Money
Passion for what I do
To feel accomplished
To socialize

But I don’t have to work everyday and only work a few hours a week.

ora_43

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 6:25 am
Money, building/maintaining my skill set so that I have career options later in life, and doing what I'm good at rather than things I'm bad at (ie, housework).

Like, I wouldn't take on an entire full-time job just to avoid housework, but if I have the chance of doing an extra 5 hours a week of freelance work, with all that money going straight to pay for 5 hours a week of cleaning help, I would totally do that (and have done exactly that).

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 7:53 am
#1 money. Would give in my resignation in a second if I won the lottery LOL

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 9:10 am
1, 3 and 6. I don't think I would quit if I won the lottery as I do enjoy my job, but would love to reduce my hours so that I am not always juggling work and home. I work 40 hours/week.

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 10:52 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
What does he do?

doesn't make huge buks. my kids are still little and my expenses are still low.

10 years down the line it we may need to incomes ...so that's part of the reason I continue working.

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 11:44 am
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
#1 money. Would give in my resignation in a second if I won the lottery LOL

Me too. I am waiting ever so patiently for the long awaited day when I can stop working. Being a SAHM is my dream....

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 1:09 pm
I was brought up assuming I would work. I went to college to learn a trade, as it were, not just to get an MRS degree. Which was a good thing because I didn't meet my dh in college. I never assumed I would get married; that if I married, my dh would earn enough to support a family on his own; that my marriage, if I married, would last forever, or that my dh would outlive me, or that he would be gainfully employed forever with no periods of unemployment or underemployment, or that if he ch"v died his insurance would be sufficient to support me for the rest of my days.

I act passionate about my job but I'm really not. There are parts I enjoy and parts I cordially detest. It's respectable, not crazy prestigious; I'm not literally saving lives every day, but I like to think I'm helping people in some small way. I don't love it enough to do it free, but I don't do it just for the money, either. At least I don't think so. I can't really know, because we do need the money. If I won the megamillion jackpot, would I quit? Maybe not--but I would be very happy working one day a week instead of five.

One reason I don't have is to get out of the house. I'm a major homebody and staying home never bothered me, so it's a good thing I do have a job that forces me to leave home. It's also not to avoid housework, as I still have to do the housework whether I work or not. And while I enjoy to some degree the workplace socializing, that was never remotely a reason for me to work. Neither are my dh wishes. We never even discussed it. We need my income, what's there to discuss? But I don't think I could be married to a man who "doesn't want me to work." I like making my own money, tyvm. Having to depend on a dh to dole out the dough is a humiliation I couldn't stomach--and it puts a woman in a terrible position if ch"v all is not rosy in Marriageville. When you make your own money, you're an equal, not a dependent. Even my grandmother knew that.

SacN

Post Sat, Apr 10 2021, 1:11 pm
Quote:

I work to pay my bills. To save money for my children. To ensure I can pay for private doctors if need be. To own a car. To buy healthy food. To have money in the bank for retirement. To pay for my children's education. To visit my parents. To give tzedaka. To keep busy with something I enjoy. To hopefully make some difference in the world. To grow. To build something. To meet interesting people. To have adult conversations. To cover emergencies. Therapies. So my daughter who used to struggle socially can fit in with nice clothes and a suitable backpack and fun school supplies. So I can take the occasional local driving vacation for my anniversary and go out sometimes for a date night.

So that if something happened to my husband, I'd be okay. I'd have already built my career. So that if he couldn't work, we'd have a place to live. So that my daughter knows how to be a successful happy working mom. So that my son sees shared household roles.

I wrote this in the other chat, about cleaning help, too.
I guess all that and a little bit the prestige? I like that I have topics of conversation other than my home and kids.

DrMom

Post Sat, Apr 10 2021, 2:13 pm
imasinger wrote:
1 through 6. But mostly #2. I believe I am doing something important, in my own small way.

THIS

amother
Plum

Post Sat, Apr 10 2021, 6:35 pm
I chose “keep myself busy”. I decided to take a break from work after my second was born. We didn’t need the money, and I decided it would be nice to be home with my baby and do household chores.
It’s so not for me. Too boring and monotonous for my liking. I went back to work when he was a few months old, part time instead of full time, just to keep busy. I’ve been doing that ever since.

amother
Blush

Post Sat, Apr 10 2021, 6:52 pm
I chose to keep myself busy but its really also for the income but also I like to feel accomplished. Lol idk

amother
Vermilion

Post Sat, Apr 10 2021, 6:59 pm
Malkqueen wrote:
I chose 3, even though more reasons also apply, because even if all other boxes were ticked off, I'd still work to feel accomplished. I go berserk without structure and basically turn into a miserable couch potato.

Yes this! I feel like I am contributing to the household budget and I like what I do. It is not a prestigious job but a needed one. I work in a babysitting group. I love seeing how they grow up. Each month they get older and the stages they go through it is so nice to see. If I was at home I would be nervous about how bills would get paid and wind up the whole day on the computer .... I Also like getting out of the house and talking to coworkers and parents.

Aurora

Post Sat, Apr 10 2021, 7:56 pm
Combination of lots of things.
I really like my job, I like having money, we can afford yeshiva tuition and other cool things (moving out of a one bedroom apartment is a nice perk after you have children), and I like growing my career.
I also love my co-workers.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics