Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Considering Aliyah to Beit Shemesh
Previous  1  2  3

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 10:10 am
Someone said American towels. Why? Curious.

grace413

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 11:15 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:

They are thicker.

essie14

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 12:01 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:

Next direct has nice towels and you can order online from Israel.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 12:40 pm
essie14 wrote:
Next direct has nice towels and you can order online from Israel.

Never tried ordering theirs. DH says the Israeli towels can't compare. Can anyone else weigh on if next has comparable ones? If someone is bringing a lift anyone why buy new?

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 12:46 pm
I have a basic Bernina sewing machine. It requires a transformer. Just by a transformer and keep the machine plugged into it and you'll be fine.

I don't think you can get the selection or prices here that you can in America, so in my opinion if you like what you have you should just buy the transformer.

If you decide not to bring your machines, I can give you the number of a lovely seamstress in Alone Shvut who sells refurbished sewing machines (it's a half hour drive from RBS).

kalsee

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 2:16 am
next has nice towels

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 10:04 am
We are planning on making Aliyah this summer and I’m wondering what to bring on the lift.
I love my dyson vacuum and vitamix - guessing I’ll have to let go of those?
What about our Mac PC?
Does it make sense to bring kids bikes, my bike?
What about an 8’ trampoline (disassembled) or basketball hoop?
How is the price and selection of dining tables in EY? My table is second hand and in ok condition (not fantastic) - but it’s a pedestal table (one center leg) which I like.... does it make sense to bring the table on the lift?
Also - should I bring the kids’ dressers if they’re only 4’ high or so? We have 5 of these dressers that have 4-5 drawers and are pretty solid. My husband thinks we should buy the tall waredrobes when we get to israel (or buy them here and put on the lift?) instead of these shorter dressers because it will maximize on the space.

Any other general advice on other things to bring or not bring?

amother
Navy

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 10:32 am
First, good luck, yishuv tov and welcome!

Definitely bring the computer, bikes, trampoline and basketball hoop. The dining room table could work, but it might be too wide for your dining room here. I would leave behind the dressers unless you know you're going to have big bedrooms.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Apr 09 2021, 10:41 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:

How is the price and selection of dining tables in EY? My table is second hand and in ok condition (not fantastic) - but it’s a pedestal table (one center leg) which I like.... does it make sense to bring the table on the lift?

My great-grandmother's solid cherry antique pedestal table was DESTROYED in the lift. First, the movers put a bunch of heavy boxes on top of it. Then the boat with the lift hit rough seas, and the crashing waves amplified the force on the tabletop. The pedestal split in several sections, and all the legs broke off.

I sat down and cried for a half an hour when they unloaded it. I had been so excited to inherit it, and I couldn't imagine making Aliyah without it.

I took it to an antique restorer (The Furniture Doctor, he's quite famous in Israel) and he said it was a lost cause. Even if he tried, it would cost thousands of shekels, and no guarantee that it would hold together with daily use.

Whatever you put on the lift, keep in mind that not only will stuff get broken, but that it will take at least 3 months or more to get here. I suggest renting a furnished apartment, or renting furniture at least, until your lift arrives.

essie14

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 12:09 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
We are planning on making Aliyah this summer and I’m wondering what to bring on the lift.
I love my dyson vacuum and vitamix - guessing I’ll have to let go of those?
What about our Mac PC?
Does it make sense to bring kids bikes, my bike?
What about an 8’ trampoline (disassembled) or basketball hoop?
Also - should I bring the kids’ dressers if they’re only 4’ high or so? We have 5 of these dressers that have 4-5 drawers and are pretty solid. My husband thinks we should buy the tall waredrobes when we get to israel (or buy them here and put on the lift?) instead of these shorter dressers because it will maximize on the space.

Any other general advice on other things to bring or not bring?

Dyson- yes!! All you need is an adapter or a replacement for the plug.
Vitamix, no
Computers are all dual voltage, simple adapter needed. Or this. I would bring a few, they come in very handy.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D.....YEW23

All bikes- of course! Why ever not?
Trampoline, I would bring, you can always sell if you dont have room.
Basketball hoops, for sure.
I wouldn't bring furniture. Makes much more sense to buy what fits your apartment and makes best use of the space.

juggling

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 12:26 am
essie14 wrote:
Dyson- yes!! All you need is an adapter or a replacement for the plug.
Vitamix, no
Computers are all dual voltage, simple adapter needed. Or this. I would bring a few, they come in very handy.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D.....YEW23

All bikes- of course! Why ever not?
Trampoline, I would bring, you can always sell if you dont have room.
Basketball hoops, for sure.
I wouldn't bring furniture. Makes much more sense to buy what fits your apartment and makes best use of the space.

Are you sure about that, with the dyson? Why wouldn't you need a transformer?

essie14

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 12:47 am
juggling wrote:
Are you sure about that, with the dyson? Why wouldn't you need a transformer?

I have a few friends with US Dyson's. they just use a small adapter or the power strip I posted above.

juggling

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 12:51 am
essie14 wrote:
I have a few friends with US Dyson's. they just use a small adapter or the power strip I posted above.

Are you sure the ones they bought weren't made for 220? I googled and it looks like dyson vacuum cleaners are made for whatever country they are sold in, *not* dual voltage. Please check what's written on your specific vacuum. If you plug a 110 appliance into a 220 outlet without a transformer you will fry it. And then that will have been quite the waste of lift space.

juggling

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 1:16 am
Essie, it's very much not my thing to argue with strangers about little things, but in this case I am really worried about someone bringing a vacuum, plugging it in without a transformer, and ruining it forever. Dyson vacuum cleaners sold in the US (in regular stores) are not dual-voltage. Can you check with your friends and confirm that they brought a regular 110 v vacuum and are using them without a transformer? This seems to me very unlikely. Maybe they bought them in specialty stores that sell 220 appliances? Or maybe they have a transformer built in somewhere and you don't realize? Please update either way. If it turns out you're right that would be great to know!

essie14

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 1:31 am
juggling wrote:
Essie, it's very much not my thing to argue with strangers about little things, but in this case I am really worried about someone bringing a vacuum, plugging it in without a transformer, and ruining it forever. Dyson vacuum cleaners sold in the US (in regular stores) are not dual-voltage. Can you check with your friends and confirm that they brought a regular 110 v vacuum and are using them without a transformer? This seems to me very unlikely. Maybe they bought them in specialty stores that sell 220 appliances? Or maybe they have a transformer built in somewhere and you don't realize? Please update either way. If it turns out you're right that would be great to know!

You're just charging the battery, not the actual vacuum motor.

My dyson that I bought in Israel says 100-240. It's the exact same Dyson that you would buy in the US except the wire that you plug into the wall has EU voltage. you could just buy that replacement part anywhere and you don't even need an adapter.
I am 100% sure my friends are not using a transformer, just an adapter.
The OP can check her Dyson. it should also say 100-240.

juggling

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 1:38 am
essie14 wrote:
You're just charging the battery, not the actual vacuum motor.

My dyson that I bought in Israel says 100-240. It's the exact same Dyson that you would buy in the US except the wire that you plug into the wall has EU voltage. you could just buy that replacement part anywhere and you don't even need an adapter.
I am 100% sure my friends are not using a transformer, just an adapter.
The OP can check her Dyson. it should also say 100-240.

Oh. Maybe you're talking about a different type of Dyson. The one I have is not rechargable, it's a corded vacuum cleaner. And it most definitely says 110. Not dual voltage. I use it with a transformer, but mostly I don't use it!!! I personally would not recommend anyone bring a vacuum cleaner that needs a transformer. Obviously the OP should check her machine, and if it's dual voltage that's a whole different thing.

essie14

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 3:37 am
juggling wrote:
Oh. Maybe you're talking about a different type of Dyson. The one I have is not rechargable, it's a corded vacuum cleaner. And it most definitely says 110. Not dual voltage. I use it with a transformer, but mostly I don't use it!!! I personally would not recommend anyone bring a vacuum cleaner that needs a transformer. Obviously the OP should check her machine, and if it's dual voltage that's a whole different thing.

Ok, yes, I have a dyson animal 10. It can definitely be used in different countries.
Didnt realize they also have corded vacuums.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions