Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Minimizing garbage

Shimmysmom

Post Thu, Aug 18 2005, 4:10 pm
taking out the garbage is the one thing I DO NOT do. but dh has a really hard schedule and doesn't have the time to do it every day. for some reason the garbage seems to be overflowing every day!
any ideas how to minimize it?

Tovah

Post Thu, Aug 18 2005, 4:12 pm
recycle

Post Thu, Aug 18 2005, 4:40 pm
what size garbage bags do you use? do you crush it down, cuz a lot of it is dead space and you can make more room by pushing it down. one of my sibs used to use grocery bags as garbage bags!!! I would go through about 5 of those a day!
(we do use grocery bags for the bath/bedroom garbages but the kitchen one has the TALL garbage bags)

proudmom

Post Thu, Aug 18 2005, 7:10 pm
In Montreal there is only garbage day twice a week. It is really hard because I always have a lot of garbage so my DH bought an extra garbage and we put it outside when the garbage in the house is full we bring it outside.

If you are using plastic or paperware dont use it.

Tefila

Post Thu, Aug 18 2005, 8:08 pm
Here Garbage day is once a week ijn the summer and once every two weeks in the winter guess their theory is it's so cold it freezes even the deadliest bacteria What

queen

Post Thu, Aug 18 2005, 9:06 pm
freilich wrote:
Here Garbage day is once every two weeks in the winter

how do big families manage with pick up only once every two weeks??!?!?!?!!

willow

Post Fri, Aug 19 2005, 8:02 am
When I was growing up we always had a huge tall laundry basket as our garbage can in the kitchen. I guess they are bigger then typical garbage cans.

de_goldy

Post Sat, Aug 20 2005, 10:11 am
Maybe someone can enlighten me - I always wondered how Rubbish collections works in NY cuz I just see huge piles of Rubbish bags sitting on the street.

Here we have a big wheelie bin that keep in your backyard and take the bags out to when they're full. Then once a week you take that out to the street and the truck comes and collects it. (the same with recycle bins - every house has one and its collected once a week).

So... how does it work in NY? I never saw bins there and I'm curious.

hardwrknmom

Post Sat, Aug 20 2005, 9:57 pm
de_goldy wrote:
Maybe someone can enlighten me - I always wondered how Rubbish collections works in NY cuz I just see huge piles of Rubbish bags sitting on the street.

I love when people quote Brooklyn as the whole NY.

In brooklyn you may see garbage sitting on the street waiting to be picked up that morning, however, there are many place in NY City/State where the garabge isn't sitting on the side walk.

Mommy912

Post Sun, Aug 21 2005, 1:20 am
In my part of the world, they pick up your regular garbage 2 times a week, the recycling paper and plastic (separately) each once a week.
de_goldy wrote:
Here we have a big wheelie bin that keep in your backyard and take the bags out to when they're full.

We keep our cans on the side of the house, why do you have to shlep it to/from the backyard?

Last edited by Mommy912 on Sat, Jan 21 2006, 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

de_goldy

Post Sun, Aug 21 2005, 1:24 am
Yes, hdwknmom, it was a personal attack. That's right, lets get all defensive.

Mommy912 - thanks for explaining. No reason to keep it in the backyard, it's just for a lot of ppl the back door is in or close to the kitchen so its easier to take each bag there instead of to the side or front of the house.

shoy18

Post Mon, Aug 22 2005, 11:56 am
it works different ways in diff places, in the city its your responsibility to brin the garbage and recyclables to the street but in the suburbs they garbarge men come will take your bins from the box and empty them and put them back. it all depends where you live, also in the city thier is to much traffic and where to park the truck so you have to bring it to the street

Tefila

Post Mon, Aug 22 2005, 12:03 pm
Ok well w/h us we use garbage cans approx 8 of them no exxagerating incl 4 of those huge wheelies by our back door 8)
But when garbage day is the following day, only then is one allowed to take to the side of their house by the street and in garbage bags. Otherwise if garbage bags r just left on the street u r fined incl , grass that is not lawn mowed but left to b/come a jungle since city will come 2 do it, plus if your fence is beyond city limits Rolling Eyes , and snow not shoveld etc yada, yada.
One thing about this yehupitzville place and I know sounds strange conc the garbage is it's very clean nonething like the big cities B"H Exclamation Yes

lucky

Post Mon, Aug 22 2005, 4:04 pm
Our garbage gets picked up mon- wed- fri Thursday is cardboard boxes which we luckily dont have to flatten and tie up. basicly e/o here has a garbage shed in front of the house, some newer complexes have a lg container per evry few houses.
. Even if I dont cook or bake I still have a full bag a day. And if it is erev shabbos, our garbage house gets loaded pretty fast. luckily we have service almost every day.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen