Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Interesting name

amother
OP

Post Sat, Apr 10 2021, 10:00 pm
Why would parents name their child an interesting name? Its not being fair to a child to be given a name that ppl will make fun of. Banging head

I'm saying this as someone who works in a school when kids call another kid a nickname.

Kids can be so cruel

amother
Cerise

Post Sat, Apr 10 2021, 10:11 pm
My kids have unusual names. I really don't think the name has anything to do with whether a kid is bullied. Plenty of kids with "ordinary" names are bullied. I wouldn't name something that has obvious potential for teasing, but I don't think unusual names automatically mean my kids will be teased. Maybe this is community dependent though--in my MO community, lots of people go beyond the "usual."

amother
Chocolate

Post Sat, Apr 10 2021, 10:20 pm
A bully will pick on anyone regardless of their name. A nice kid will be nice to anyone regardless of their name.
Instead of parents worrying that their kid will be bullied for their name, how bout parents should teach their kids to be nice to everyone no matter the differences.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sat, Apr 10 2021, 11:40 pm
Names that aren't "interesting" can be made fun of for being old ladyish. Honestly, I think Yocheved has more "made fun of" potential than Zimra, at least in the Israeli DL world. But that's not a reason not to name Yocheved.

There are many other reasons a name could be made fun of. If an unlocked teacher's name is Sarah, then student Sarah could be made fun of.

Yael is the most common name ever (and I love it) but it definitely could be made fun of as Yael from the Tanach slept with Sister's before killing him and he died "between her legs".

TLDR; just do your best to teach the child to not take things heart when others make fun of her name she should try to laugh too.

agreer

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 1:08 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Why would parents name their child an interesting name? Its not being fair to a child to be given a name that ppl will make fun of. Banging head

I'm saying this as someone who works in a school when kids call another kid a nickname.

Kids can be so cruel

Cruel kids will be cruel no matter what.

Kids who make fun of names usually learned it from their parents. Right now, my little kids call their baby cousin by her unusual name and they think it's a totally normal name. That's because in our family, it is.

Why should I let them stop me from naming after my beloved grandmother or aunt who had unusual names?

What if I gave them a "normal" and they get made fun of for their height, clothes, speech, etc?

I wouldn't give them an "ugly" name that had an ugly meaning, but something different and "unusual" - why not?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 1:18 am
Would you name ur son itchi
I feel so bad for the boy

How bout bully
Yes I've heard that one

These names make me so uncomfortable

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 4:56 am
Some Ashkenazi Jews have an "Adolf" way back in their family tree. That one I absolutely wouldn't do. Itchi, I wouldn't choose because I liked it, but I'm sure it's a nickname, I don't know what the proper name is because I'm not so familiar with Yiddish. I'm in Israel and I think "Morahn" is a not so great name (even though it's common and Israelis wouldn't call it "interesting" even) but when I had a co-worker who I liked named Morahn, I quickly made new associations with the name. The initial "cringeworthyness" wore off as soon as you get to know the person, so I'm sure Itchi will too.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 6:41 am
Because we name after relatives.
We can teach our kids to not make fun of names.
Different names are funny in different places.
Tila and yenta can work in chassidish places but some people may still prefer Rivka and Chaya. What do they do then when their beloved grandmother was named Tila? The name can work.
Aliza and Ahuva can work in litvish communities but may be old fashioned in Israeli.
Parents need to use their own intelligence when name a child and it is nevuah so respect their choices.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 6:42 am
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
Some Ashkenazi Jews have an "Adolf" way back in their family tree. That one I absolutely wouldn't do. Itchi, I wouldn't choose because I liked it, but I'm sure it's a nickname, I don't know what the proper name is because I'm not so familiar with Yiddish. I'm in Israel and I think "Morahn" is a not so great name (even though it's common and Israelis wouldn't call it "interesting" even) but when I had a co-worker who I liked named Morahn, I quickly made new associations with the name. The initial "cringeworthyness" wore off as soon as you get to know the person, so I'm sure Itchi will too.

Itchi is for Yitzchok.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 7:23 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Would you name ur son itchi
I feel so bad for the boy

How bout bully
Yes I've heard that one

These names make me so uncomfortable

Itchi is a nickname for Yitzchok, a very normal name. The parents obviously like it if they chose to nickname their kid that.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 7:27 am
My name is very uncommon. It’s a beautiful name and only my brother butchered it to annoy me.
My daughter has an uncommon name and I don’t see any problems coming from it. Maybe because it’s a beautiful name and she is such a lovable child.

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 8:34 am
My kids don’t have run of the mill names and while I find them beautiful, others may not. They like their names because my dh and I made them be proud of it. If someone makes fun of it, my child knows it’s the other persons problem, not theirs. Might sting, but at the end of the day, they’re still happy with their name.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 8:41 am
I have an “ugly” yiddish name
Not fair to do that to your child

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 8:43 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
I have an “ugly” yiddish name
Not fair to do that to your child

What is it? Maybe beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names