Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
How to make the long shabbos work for you
Previous  1  2

Motherhood

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 11:13 am
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
Shabbos toys that aren’t available during the week. Snuggle time!! Lying on the couch telling each other stories and drawing on each others’ backs (you guess what the other person is drawing). Giving each other chills. Making stuffed animals talk. Singing songs. Telling stories about things that have happened to you. I love Shabbos with little kids. So cozy!

That’s the hard part! I’m the shabbos morah that entertains the kids all day and do t get to sit and relax like what you’d picture shabbos to be all about!

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 11:31 am
I have teenagers whose goal on shabbos is to nudge and challenge me as much as possible, for attention.
When they were young, we would play for hours together. Now they're too old because everything I like is weird or boring and they know better, obviously. And they still want me to give them shabbos party of course.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 11:40 am
Motherhood wrote:
That’s the hard part! I’m the shabbos morah that entertains the kids all day and do t get to sit and relax like what you’d picture shabbos to be all about!

That’s what this stage in your life is about. You had it before kids and gd willing you’ll have it when they’re older

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 1:29 pm
Mine r now big bh.
Looking back
One of my kids favourite shabb activities used to be teddy tea time. They collected all the rolls and teddies. I wld give them a cup of Cheerios and some raisins and whatever else. We pulled out the "special shabbos only" tiny tea set and they would prep and set up and feed the teddies. They then put teddies to bed and had to "wash up" all the tea set dishes. This whole activity took an HR at least.
We Alos used to play shuls. Gubbay...rabbi...the whole deal...we wld make kiddush for shul. ("The lady "wld prep it lol). Gubbay would.call ppl for aliyah's etc

I find charades like these which take ages v helpful. If you have less imaginative kids uay need to help them act it all out the first time.
Ps we didn't do naps as I rather put them to bed at 7 and enjoy the quiet for an hr and then go 5o sleep myself. But there was Def quiet hr in bedrooms with books bf shabbos treats (bribe for those who read/played quietly)

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 1:48 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
I think certain things make Shabbos harder for some then others;
Small apartment
No backyard
No family or friends walking distance
No eruv
Difficult children
Difficult or no spouse

Even one of these things can make a long Shabbos afternoon much harder.

EXACTLY!!!!!!! (All but one of the above)

dancingqueen

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 1:53 pm
Going outside and visiting friends plus shabbos party, games and books.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics