Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Sensory/Anxious Child - dance class?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 2:15 pm
My dd3 is a little sensory, load noises bother her and she covers her ears. She also gets services for OT, speech and counseling. Not really relevant to dance class, just mentioning it incase it might indicate something that is relevant.

We tried a dance class with her older sister and I tried to drop her off and wait in the next room. She cried and would not integrate with the class so the dance teacher suggested I stay in the dance studio until she gets comfortable. Dd stoped crying after a few minutes and started following along with the class, but Throughout the class dd3 asked that I not leave. After the she said that we wants me to stay next time. I asked her if she would rather go to the class with just her big sister or stay home with Ima, and she said to stay home.

How should I navigate this. Should I let her join the class and just stay in the dance studio during class or just pass this year and let her try again when she gets older. One reason I ask is because I’m not sure if it an age thing or and anxiety thing that I should help her with somehow.

The class is a decent size probably about 15 girls.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 2:22 pm
How old is she?
Dance class will be great for her. Esp if she already followed along thisfirst class.
As for staying , it depends on her age and how much you have to give up to stay vs what she can gain there.
Personally, if I could Id stay and give her the chance to blossom. At least a few more times .

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 2:25 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
How old is she?
Dance class will be great for her. Esp if she already followed along thisfirst class.
As for staying , it depends on her age and how much you have to give up to stay vs what she can gain there.
Personally, if I could Id stay and give her the chance to blossom. At least a few more times .
She is 3.5 , why do you say the class will be great for her?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 2:27 pm
You might want to look into one that is geared for kids with special needs, or just special needs friendly. If advenium offers services in your locale they may be a good address for you.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 2:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
She is 3.5 , why do you say the class will be great for her?

Oh she's little. And I missed that it's a big group. .
Dance and anything body based is great for her. If there's something else with smaller groups available I'd choose that. As for whether it's anxiety or age appropriate- I wouldn't be able to know in this way.
Good luck.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics