Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
How to prepare a preteen for her period

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 10:19 am
DD is probably going to get her period soon. She knows about it already but is there something practical she should be doing to be prepared if it comes when she is in school. Should she have a pad in her knapsack ? She is in fifth grade, moms of fifth graders please weigh in. Thanks

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 10:23 am
I made sure dd had a small black baggie in her briefcase or locker with emergency essentials: a pair of underwear, a pair of tights and 2 pads. She always has it with her for just in case even after she started with her periods.
Once she starts with her period, tell her to wear 2 pads, one on top of the other so she can pull the top one off when she needs to change so she doesn't make it obvious to her classmates or anyone else. At that age, they're embarrassed.
Best of luck!

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 10:40 am
What are the best pads for preteens?
I feel it's going to come soon. My daughter is at the age that I got it and her moods are wacky.
What else should I have on hand for her? How do I make this easy?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 2:00 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
I made sure dd had a small black baggie in her briefcase or locker with emergency essentials: a pair of underwear, a pair of tights and 2 pads. She always has it with her for just in case even after she started with her periods.
Once she starts with her period, tell her to wear 2 pads, one on top of the other so she can pull the top one off when she needs to change so she doesn't make it obvious to her classmates or anyone else. At that age, they're embarrassed.
Best of luck!

Thank you!

amother
Black

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 2:03 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
Best of luck!

Can you elaborate about the two pads?

For dd first pads (she didn’t get period yet) I bought a “teen” pack that has cute designs (I don’t plan on getting those every month but I saw them and they were fun)
I think the idea of extra panties and tights in her bag with some pads is a great idea. DD is in fourth grade now.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 2:15 pm
Give her a little wristlet with a pad, an individual wipe and an individual packet of Advil to keep in her school backpack in case of emergency. She will get used to having it around, get comfortable the idea.

Demonstrate how to line a pad in a pair of underwear. Have her practice with you around.

Keep the conversation going. Talk about what it's like when one notices blood for the first time. Go through scenarios and she won't be shocked. Problem solve together. She might have some questions about what to do if she gets it in school and needs to call you about coming home but doesn't want the secretary to know.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 2:20 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
What are the best pads for preteens?
I feel it's going to come soon. My daughter is at the age that I got it and her moods are wacky.
What else should I have on hand for her? How do I make this easy?

Best pads are always infinity flex foam

HakarasHatov

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 2:24 pm
How does one know that their dd will probably get her period soon?

sequoia

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 2:25 pm
Budding breasts, underarm hair, “Mom I hate you!”.

HakarasHatov

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 2:30 pm
sequoia wrote:
Budding breasts, underarm hair, “Mom I hate you!”.
Thanks, pretty basic, I was afraid I would have to micro-analyze their moods.

tree of life

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 2:39 pm
When your daughter starts her period either they can wear two pair of knickers or short leggings my girls feel more secure when it's tight for them

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 2:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
DD is probably going to get her period soon. She knows about it already but is there something practical she should be doing to be prepared if it comes when she is in school. Should she have a pad in her knapsack ? She is in fifth grade, moms of fifth graders please weigh in. Thanks

My mom got my daughter a period kit type thing from amazon- it’s a small pouch, with a couple of pads, 1 panty liner, disposal bags, and a wipe.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 2:57 pm
Ty! I found that period kit on amazon, I decided to build my own instead. A cute pouch, some thin pads, a folding brush, compact mirror, a silver bracelet. I'll add a pair of underwear, a few pantyliners, and a chocolate bar before giving it to her. She can use the pouch for other things eventually if she wants.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics