Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Is My Child Gifted? (Brooklyn)

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 8:20 am
The mainstream school system that my child is currently in has failed him. They have labeled and judged harshly and decimated him to a fraction of what he truly is. I’m trying to put the pieces back together again and need your help ladies.
My child is bright, inquisitive, & oh so perceptive. Yet, he struggles with social nuances, can be impulsive, and is highly sensitive. We have taken him for evaluations and he has no known diagnoses. Some of the evaluators have mentioned “gifted” in passing and I’d like to pursue this venue since it resonated with my child’s struggles.
Do any of you know who specializes in testing for “gifted” children? What kind of evaluation would that be? Can you please direct me further? I want to help my child.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 8:30 am
WISC and Cogat are two very commonly used assessments, but not the only ones. See here https://www.nagc.org/resources.....ments

If your community is very insular and/or your child's first language is not English, you should make sure the evaluator knows that, because it may affect which assessment is most appropriate.

For some general background information, see here https://www.nagc.org/resources.....rents

Unfortunately I am not in the Brooklyn area, so I don't have any local recommendations for you.

Zehava

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 8:36 am
Dr mandelman in Flatbush has studied giftedness in children specifically

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 8:53 am
Zehava wrote:
Dr mandelman in Flatbush has studied giftedness in children specifically

Do you have personal experience with him? If yes, can I pm you?

Zehava

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 8:54 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do you have personal experience with him? If yes, can I pm you?

Yes and yes

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 8:58 am
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
WISC and Cogat are two very commonly used assessments, but not the only ones. See here https://www.nagc.org/resources.....ments

If your community is very insular and/or your child's first language is not English, you should make sure the evaluator knows that, because it may affect which assessment is most appropriate.

For some general background information, see here https://www.nagc.org/resources.....rents

Unfortunately I am not in the Brooklyn area, so I don't have any local recommendations for you.

Thanks. This is a start.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 4:19 pm
Anyone else?

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 4:30 pm
When I spoke to Dr mandelman on the phone he said every 15 points on IQ can affect social skills.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 6:12 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
When I spoke to Dr mandelman on the phone he said every 15 points on IQ can affect social skills.
negative or positive correlation? As I u derstand it, Its a correlation, not a cause. I’m not sure when gifted came to include social deficits, as far as I always knew it just meant unusually smart. Though of course they can go together.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 6:13 pm
Take your child to a psychologist to do a complete evaluation. There are many different intelligence tests and others to evaluate social, communication, motor and intelligence skills. The CUNY Psychological Center has a sliding fee and they are pretty great.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics