Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Is Chicago "new york-y"?
Previous  1  2

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 10:29 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
What are the differences in the various neighborhoods? Thanx.

I don’t know much, but a nice size group of Lkwd/Brooklyn girls in their high 20s/ low 30s moved to Peterson park. They def don’t look like they are anywhere near the boondocks. Very much an in town vibe. Everyone is trendy, kids are super up to date. Nobody looks like they are starting threads on Imamother “help I’m coming in from OOT, what’s in for kids ss21” lol

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 10:34 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
What are the differences in the various neighborhoods? Thanx.

West Rogers Park is where most of the drum community lives. You have litvish, chassidish, Chabad, etc. Peterson Park is primarily litvish/Yeshivish. Skokie is more MO, as is Lakeview, but that's a younger crowd.
Let me know if I missed anything.

finprof

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 10:53 pm
Lakeview is waaay more left wing them most of Skokie

Fox

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 2:09 am
This isn't strictly about the characters of the various neighborhoods, but it's an important difference between Chicago and many other places.

There is enormous cooperation and often a united front among the rabbonim of all the different groups. Rabbi Shmuel Fuerst, sh'lita, the Agudah dayan, gets everyone on board when it comes to timely or important issues facing the community.

Letters about Covid restrictions, for example, were signed by the most prominent rav of every group and a video was released featuring frum doctors representing the largest range of hashkafas possible.

When child s-xual abuse become a hot topic, all kollels were closed for one evening and married men were not allowed in yeshivas to ensure that everyone attended one of the scheduled asifas. Rabbi Fuerst and the rabbonim decreed that attending the asifa was more important than regular chavrusas, etc.

So if you are accustomed to an environment where everybody does his own thing, this may seem a bit disconcerting. None of this, "my rav says I don't have to wear a mask," etc. You have to openly rebel if you want to do your own thing when it comes to community-wide issues, because your neighbors know very well what your rav poskined.

Most of us like this, however, and we see how much more responsive the community is to various problems that arise.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 6:27 am
Thanx, how about Lincolnwood? What’s that like?

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 6:15 pm
Bump

cat81

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 6:28 pm
Short answer - it’s in between in almost every possible way.

When comparing to NY, some highlights:

Pro - lower cost of living, many job opportunities, not very materialistic, schools offer breaks even if not in chinuch.

Con - not very friendly, less school options, not a “nice” looking area, everyone lives on top of each other, less restaurants, less selection of areas to live in

If want more information especially when comparing to NY feel free to PM me.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating