Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Making my whole home healthier

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 1:04 pm
A bit of background. I grew up in a pretty healthy home. My mom in general was a pretty inflexible type. She chose what was acceptable and everyone sort of had to just be ok with it. She shopped on a budget (I only found out as an adult that they totally had the means to splurge but never did) and menu planned at the beginning of every week and bought similar items weekly. There were hardly ever snacks aside from ww crackers (we did have snack bags for school) and there was never a lot of anything in the pantry. It was never the type to put up a box of macaroni if my friends were there lunchtime bec if there was pasta in the pantry it was for a specific dish. I also never grabbed a can of anything to go. The corn was for a salad, the greenbeans for a side dish etc.
then I met dh. He was a youngest. He’s an avid snacker and hardly sits down for meals. When he does the grocery shopping and we need pasta, he buys 15 boxes. I can have 8-10 cereal options on a reg day. We have tons of snacks all the time etc. dh loves candy. We have a candy cabinet in the kitchen with tons of chocolate (Reese’s, Hershey’s etc) and we always have fruit by the foot and sour sticks and tons of Lolly’s. When DH does the Shabbos shopping he’ll look out for the newest candies and buy all sorts of dippy, slimy, gooey, spraying things.
We are bh both blessed to be thin and we have 3 children older 2 are thin (one even too thin) and the baby is chubby. My 2nd child is a natural nosher. She loves sugar and ice cream etc. she also constantly has stomach pain (we’ve been to a GI- it’s basically chronic constipation) after ignoring her issues for a while, I decided that I really need to do a 180 on the homes general attitude toward noshing, meals etc. so yesterday I went to the grocery store and stocked up on fruits and veggies. I took all the junk in the house and put it in a sterelite container and hid it.
The good news is, I really have the tools to cook healthy because that’s what I was raised on. I’m just nervous about being able to stick with it bec it’s so against how my dh and kids were raised till now . Pls give me all your best tips and being healthy and sticking with this lifestyle. I also would love moderation as I think I was raised to extreme so ideas of how to incorporate so snacking here and there.
Also has anyone done this successfully? Completely transformed their homes from unhealthy to healthy? What motivated you and what are your best tips?!
Thanks for reading!

flowerpower

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 1:14 pm
Good for you! Eating healthy definitely helps for digestion and behavior issues.

For starters-
1- ban soda or sugary drinks from your house
2- buy a candy jar and keep it on a high shelf. Let dh take candy when he craves. Kids should not know it exists. They can have 2 on shabbos
3- add vegetables to your meals- especially dinner
4- switch to whole grain when possible- rice, bread....
5- limit cereals to healthy cereals. Sugar content should be under 10 grams per serving.

sneakermom

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 1:28 pm
Cut out most candy but keep some.

Buy more yummy produce to snack on. Tangerines, oranges, melon, apples, pears, snap peas, baby carrots, etc

Nuts are yummy too

Make yummy salads or grilled broccoli and cauliflower by meals

Veg soups add a lot of nutrition to meals

I hate rigidity. I wouldn’t make you kids feel deprived. Just downsize the nosh and up the healthy snacks.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise