Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Books similar to BY Times
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 1:25 pm
I can’t bring myself to buy the by times/bakers dozen series. They’re just so old!
Are there newer series that kids love?

librarygirl

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 1:27 pm
23 under 1 roof.
Achdus club
Jewish girls around the world

librarygirl

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 1:28 pm
But they've reissued by times / bakers dozen with nice new vovers.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 1:29 pm
My daughter, in the past year, read and loved bakers dozen, by times, sukey gross'series...

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 1:30 pm
librarygirl wrote:
23 under 1 roof.
Achdus club

Some of those are not on the same reading level of bakers dozen and by times.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 1:34 pm
Don't call them old. Call them classics of Jewish literature.

There's nothing wrong with reading classics. If the girls enjoy them, why does it matter when they were written?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 1:39 pm
I recently got my daughter the BY Times and she loved it!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 2:17 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Some of those are not on the same reading level of bakers dozen and by times.

Are they on a lower or higher reading level? My daughter is eight years old and gifted. So if it’s a more advanced reading level that would actually work better for her. It needs to be appropriate though.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 2:18 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
I recently got my daughter the BY Times and she loved it!
My daughter loves it too but she often checks them out of her school library. She says they don’t have all of them though. I thought I’d check if there were new series I didn’t know about.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 2:20 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
My daughter, in the past year, read and loved bakers dozen, by times, sukey gross'series...

The sukey gross books are also super old! I read them when I was a kid. I’m just surprised there aren’t more new series. I thought I must not know where to look.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 2:21 pm
Elfrida wrote:
Don't call them old. Call them classics of Jewish literature.

There's nothing wrong with reading classics. If the girls enjoy them, why does it matter when they were written?

They’re technically classics. They’re not super well written though. (No offense) I thought I’d check if anything better has been published since.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 2:22 pm
librarygirl wrote:
23 under 1 roof.
Achdus club

Thanks. I’ll look at these.

shanarishona

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 4:28 pm
My daughter loved by times kid sisters and now loves by times.
I want to introduce her to bakers dozen

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 4:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Are they on a lower or higher reading level? My daughter is eight years old and gifted. So if it’s a more advanced reading level that would actually work better for her. It needs to be appropriate though.

I believe they are lower. Larger font, simpler stories, etc.
23 under one roof is lower.

The other series I'm not really familiar with, but the Jewish history one , also, has large font, simplistic plot. I think they are supposed to be like American girl, but frum. I think they are in a lower level. Not sure.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 4:42 pm
Menucha publishers has many books for kids, and categorizes them by reading level. Maybe check them out.

seeker

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 4:51 pm
There was a series some years ago - somewhere in between BY Times and the present - called Classified information.

Other than that, most of the series my kids are into aren't so girly. I believe anyone can and should enjoy any books without being gender specific, but I also think there is what to gain for girls reading about their own type of social-emotional dynamics. There are a lot of individual books for that but I'm not aware of series that do it better than BY Times and others of that era.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 4:57 pm
seeker wrote:
There was a series some years ago - somewhere in between BY Times and the present - called Classified information.

Other than that, most of the series my kids are into aren't so girly. I believe anyone can and should enjoy any books without being gender specific, but I also think there is what to gain for girls reading about their own type of social-emotional dynamics. There are a lot of individual books for that but I'm not aware of series that do it better than BY Times and others of that era.

Ok your post makes me feel a lot better. BY times it is then.
I do buy plenty of other books but when I buy a series I feel like it should be characters that she loves. She binge reads and rereads her books often.
But if you have other suggestions I will check them out Smile I scrolled through old threads but they’re hard to get through.

esuss

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 5:08 pm
Shira’s summer and other books by that author.
Avner gold books may be too high level for her though.
Any books written by Miriam Elias , MC Millman

mommyhood

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 5:25 pm
None of the current series have as many novels with the same character. For that you're best off with BY times and Bakers Dozen. Personally I prefer Bakers Dozen but it's your choice.
If you want other options my pre-teen DD votes for Jewish girls around the world it's not one series it's a few smaller series, and 23 under 1 roof.
I also love MC Millman, I enjoy lot of her books even if they're meant for kids/teens.

Freidy99

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 5:38 pm
Do you know Hachai publishing?
Not a series but their collection of books for ages 7-10 has a lot of good ones!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room