Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Zman Shabbos Keeper

gingit

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 4:36 pm
My refrigerator broke suddenly. It will not cool. Luckily, it happened after Pesach so I can use my second fridge as a back up (It was designated chametz for the chag). The repair man said it is not worth fixing (only 9 years old!). So I am looking to buy a new one.

Apparently, the GE models now need a zman shabbos keeper to be "kosher" for shabbat use. Does anyone have this? Where does the device go (inside, behind, or on top)? Space is limited so I need to know how this will effect the dimensions I have to work with to fit in the space.

Any advice is appreciated.

PearlyGee

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 4:44 pm
Is it mandatory? I know some GE fridges you could make it on shabbos mode maual or add a programmed monitor that will automatic put it into to shabbos mode every shabbos/yt maybe confirm that

animeme

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 4:55 pm
Shabbos mode works without it. But you have to turn it on and off before and after Shabbos. The Shabbos Keeper does that for you.

momo6

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 5:04 pm
The Shabbos keeper is great! It’s very small and goes on top of or the side of the fridge. It plugs into the fridge on the top near the door. It really takes up no space at all. You set it up when you get it and then every Shabbos and Yuntif is switchs the fridge automatically into Shabbos mode. I do like it a lot. It does cost $200 so I guess you need to decide if it’s worth it for you. Let me know if you have any other questions.

gingit

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 5:15 pm
Thank you for all your replies. I cannot tell if there is a shabbos mode without this extra device. I did not see GE on the star-k approved list. Is there another agency that approves appliances?

bigsis144

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 5:21 pm
What is Shabbos mode for a fridge, other than making sure the lights don’t turn on?

I don’t think I would even think to check if there are additional halachic issues
embarrassed

Though I just got a new GE oven and can’t figure out the Shabbos mode... the pdf link that came with the oven references buttons that aren’t even on my control panel.

PearlyGee

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 5:24 pm
gingit wrote:
Thank you for all your replies. I cannot tell if there is a shabbos mode without this extra device. I did not see GE on the star-k approved list. Is there another agency that approves appliances?

Call a heimish retailer should be able to answer
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars