Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
S/o what should we be striving for?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 10:39 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Why is it important where someone learned something?
And im sure there are so many answers:
School
Shiur
Sfarim
Google search

It’s not important. I’m asking for myself because I just want to understand more.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 10:42 am
PinkFridge wrote:
In which ways? We know the major middos the avos excelled in, what about the imahos?

Of course we know the middos and areas in which our imahos excelled!

Sarah: tznius
Rivkah: chessed
Rochel: vatranus
Leah: thankfulness

I'm sure there are more, but this is what comes to mind when I think of each of the imahos

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 10:45 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It’s not important. I’m asking for myself because I just want to understand more.
Ok. So as I said, ftom so many different places.
And it could be from a week ago or from 15 years ago.

professor

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 10:48 am
I was just saying to my son this shabbos: never compare yourself to anyone else. Ever. No matter how great you are, there will always be someone better. No matter how bad you are, there will always be someone worse.

Compare yourself to your own potential. That's IT.

chanchy123

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 11:07 am
I have a friend who hates cleaning for Pesach. The home she grew up in was very machmir about Pesach cleaning. She said v that it made her hate Pesach. She dreaded it every year. A few years ago, after she’d be married for several years with secret children, she decided that the only way she can really enjoy Pesach was to do the bare minimum in Pesach cleaning. So she does the minimum halachicly required but makes a big deal about learning yetizat mitzraim with her kids. She does tons of activities and projects with them leading into Pesach and now it’s her favorite YT.
Her choice to do the minimum in one aspect enhanced everything else about observing Pesach, some would maybe say she’s cutting herself too much slack and that she should work on her hate for Pesach cleaning, but I think it’s great that she found what she does love about Pesach and enhanced that. This way everything about her observance of Pesach has been elevated.
I think this principle could be applied to all avodat Hashem, sometimes doing only the minimum in one aspect actually makes the whole mitzvah greater than the sum of its components.
It’s ok to give yourself a break on some things and just do the minimum if it’s holding you back. Obviously, just doing the minimum in every single aspect of Judaism is not ideal, but it’s only human to create a balance. Conversely, it’s impossible to be stringent on every single aspect as well.
It’s our job to see where we can let loose and what we need and can strengthen without harming the big picture of being a Torah Jew.

professor

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 2:27 pm
ally wrote:
You should understand that many streams of Judaism do not see tznius as a primary mitzvah at all. And do not interpret tznius to be all about a woman's clothing (and actually see this as a distortion of Judaism) but rather about being modest in action which applies to both men and women.

Wow this thread became all about tznius.

Just FYI tznius is a mitzvah for MEN not women. Vehatznea leches I'm Hashem elokecha is written in lashon zachar not lashon nekevah. Just sayin

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 3:10 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
Of course we know the middos and areas in which our imahos excelled!

Sarah: tznius
Rivkah: chessed
Rochel: vatranus
Leah: thankfulness

I'm sure there are more, but this is what comes to mind when I think of each of the imahos

Absolutely. We do know a lot. I was just wondering what comes to mind. These probably are the key ones.
We also learn an important yesod about nevuah from Rivkah. (And Shimshon's mother.) Nevuos aren't supposed to be share unless one is told to.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 3:17 pm
chanchy123 wrote:
I have a friend who hates cleaning for Pesach. The home she grew up in was very machmir about Pesach cleaning. She said v that it made her hate Pesach. She dreaded it every year. A few years ago, after she’d be married for several years with secret children, she decided that the only way she can really enjoy Pesach was to do the bare minimum in Pesach cleaning. So she does the minimum halachicly required but makes a big deal about learning yetizat mitzraim with her kids. She does tons of activities and projects with them leading into Pesach and now it’s her favorite YT.
Her choice to do the minimum in one aspect enhanced everything else about observing Pesach, some would maybe say she’s cutting herself too much slack and that she should work on her hate for Pesach cleaning, but I think it’s great that she found what she does love about Pesach and enhanced that. This way everything about her observance of Pesach has been elevated.
I think this principle could be applied to all avodat Hashem, sometimes doing only the minimum in one aspect actually makes the whole mitzvah greater than the sum of its components.
It’s ok to give yourself a break on some things and just do the minimum if it’s holding you back. Obviously, just doing the minimum in every single aspect of Judaism is not ideal, but it’s only human to create a balance. Conversely, it’s impossible to be stringent on every single aspect as well.
It’s our job to see where we can let loose and what we need and can strengthen without harming the big picture of being a Torah Jew.

I’m the same way as your friend. Doing the bare minimum is the way I best appreciate yiddishkeit.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 3:26 pm
professor wrote:

Just FYI tznius is a mitzvah for MEN not women. Vehatznea leches I'm Hashem elokecha is written in lashon zachar not lashon nekevah. Just sayin

I think what you meant is that tzniut is a mitzvah for men AND women, and is applied to each gender differently.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 4:23 pm
Not sure how this got so off topic and became a tznius debate.....

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 1:03 am
PinkFridge wrote:
She may have compelling reasons to be here now. Or maybe they're carefully planning their move and one day will just do it.

Maybe. But that was beside the point.
The point was simply to say that her hashkafos emphasized living in EY as a crucial avoda, while my hashkafa does not emphasize that at all.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 3:51 am
professor wrote:

Are you actually surprised? Smile

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 4:40 am
Here's a different thought, and I wonder what posters who describe themselves as MO think of this:

Perhaps the difference between chareidi and MO is that chareidim try to follow as many halachic opinions as they can, and MO are happy with one opinion.

I have an MO dentist who told me he was annoyed with his UO patients who always question him about temporary things in their mouth and mikva, (for example stitches, temporary fillings, etc.). He said that if it can stay in for 7 days, it's fine, so why do they get so bent out of shape? I didn't try to explain to him, but the way I see it, as a chareidi woman, I only want to rely on the 7 days if absolutely necessary, because many poskim prefer at least 30 days.

So it's not about not striving, but feeling that if there's a halachic backing, it's fine, whereas UO tries to ensure his/her action is approved by many or most poskim. Does this make sense?

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 6:51 am
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
Here's a different thought, and I wonder what posters who describe themselves as MO think of this:

Perhaps the difference between chareidi and MO is that chareidim try to follow as many halachic opinions as they can, and MO are happy with one opinion.

I have an MO dentist who told me he was annoyed with his UO patients who always question him about temporary things in their mouth and mikva, (for example stitches, temporary fillings, etc.). He said that if it can stay in for 7 days, it's fine, so why do they get so bent out of shape? I didn't try to explain to him, but the way I see it, as a chareidi woman, I only want to rely on the 7 days if absolutely necessary, because many poskim prefer at least 30 days.

So it's not about not striving, but feeling that if there's a halachic backing, it's fine, whereas UO tries to ensure his/her action is approved by many or most poskim. Does this make sense?
When you say follow as many rabbanim as possible, it is made clear on this site so often that there should not be rabbi hoping, or whatever its called. That one should not look for different rabbanim to follow for things.
So when you say you follow as many halachic opinions, Im assuming you mean, on one thing, how is that possible?

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 7:14 am
amother [ Natural ] wrote:

Can you please explain the bolded? I’m not MO, and I don’t know anyone who follows as many halachic opinions as they can. I know many people who follow the strictest halachic opinions as they can, but that’s never more than one opinion.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 7:20 am
I think she meant trying to be יוצא לכל הדעות, which is a legitimate approach.

zaq

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 5:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Not sure how this got so off topic and became a tznius debate.....

Because tznius is the battle cry of the 21st century whether it's relevant to a discussion or not.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 5:12 pm
zaq wrote:
Because tznius is the battle cry of the 21st century whether it's relevant to a discussion or not.

And because, as someone posted earlier, tzniut is the most important mitzvah for women and it’s the only thing that’s hard, and it’s the cause of all things bad 🙄

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 5:26 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
When you say follow as many rabbanim as possible, it is made clear on this site so often that there should not be rabbi hoping, or whatever its called. That one should not look for different rabbanim to follow for things.
So when you say you follow as many halachic opinions, Im assuming you mean, on one thing, how is that possible?

There is a concept of following "rov poskim". But really, I think a better way to explain the difference would be that the chareidi (or orthodox- whatever word you want to use) follow their poskim, and the MO follow their poskim.
So most of our big psakim will come from Rav Moshe, Rav SZ Auerbach, Rav Elyashiv etc. It's in these areas that the MO will differ. Many of the psakim they follow will be at odds to the psakim of the chareidi poskim.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 6:18 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
There is a concept of following "rov poskim". But really, I think a better way to explain the difference would be that the chareidi (or orthodox- whatever word you want to use) follow their poskim, and the MO follow their poskim.
So most of our big psakim will come from Rav Moshe, Rav SZ Auerbach, Rav Elyashiv etc. It's in these areas that the MO will differ. Many of the psakim they follow will be at odds to the psakim of the chareidi poskim.

Are you equating chareidi with Orthodox or did you mean to write ultra-Orthodox?
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions