Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
S/o fat shaming. Poll re size to see what average REALLY is
  1  2  3  11  12  13  Next

What size do you wear?
0-2 or below  
 6%  [ 41 ]
4-6  
 19%  [ 132 ]
8-10  
 19%  [ 127 ]
10-12  
 18%  [ 120 ]
14-16  
 15%  [ 106 ]
16-18 or above  
 20%  [ 137 ]
Total Votes : 663

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 6:48 pm
I'm curious about the size average here on Imamother
Spinoff of the fatshaming thread. One ima said that the Jewish stores don't sell plus size because it's so few people... I have a feeling it's a lot more than that.

I only included the sizes that Jewish stores have (I mean some don't even have 16 or 18, and if they do they have 1-2 draconian pieces.. but let's say...) so that we see where the percentages lie and if what they're offering reflects the demand.

Please select the size you wear currently.. not size that you were or will be...

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 6:53 pm
Oops I see I included 16 twice. Not sure if I should edit that and make 18 on its own? or 14 on its own?

Oh and10 is also twice. Whoops!

gonna report thread and see if mod can change it to be like this: (though what happens with responses that are there already?)
0-2 or below
4-6
8-10
12-14
16-18 or above

amother
Red

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 6:58 pm
It's not just jewish stores. I'm a size 20 and most stores hardly have anything. They carry a small plus section and the clothing is just not as nice or trendy as the rest. So not only do I look bigger than other people I have to attract unwanted attention by not fitting in style wise either.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 7:00 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
It's not just jewish stores. I'm a size 20 and most stores hardly have anything. They carry a small plus section and the clothing is just not as nice or trendy as the rest. So not only do I look bigger than other people I have to attract unwanted attention by not fitting in style wise either.

Yes, there seems to be some weird belief that as a fat person I wish to wear loud prints on cheap material.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 7:00 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:

True!!! But that ima was saying that the Jewish average is smaller than the national american average (which is size 16-18.) So I was curious to see what that average would be.

NonJewish and Jewish stores have a long way to go. But Jewish stores are lagging far behind.

And I feel you sister. It's horrible. Jewish stores are totally crossed off my list. NonJewish stores, there are some that sometimes have a few things for me. It's really rough.

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 7:41 pm
But age matters. A 20 yo with one baby vs a 60 yo with 14 grown children. Lots of people start out young at one size and end up somewhere else totally.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 7:43 pm
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
But age matters. A 20 yo with one baby vs a 60 yo with 14 grown children. Lots of people start out young at one size and end up somewhere else totally.

ok, and? We need inclusive sizes for young and old.

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 7:47 pm
I chose 14-16.
I used to be 10-12, until my fifth baby (latest), and still have 20-25 lbs to lose. Baby is almost 2.
I'm overweight for myself, and sometimes feel it more than others, but while I don't look thin, I hide it pretty well. I'm 5'5 and in my early30s

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 7:54 pm
Without height numbers don't mean anything. I'm a size 2 but I'm barely 5 ft and I do not look super skinny. A taller size 4,6,8, could often look skinnier than me.

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 7:56 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
Without height numbers don't mean anything. I'm a size 2 but I'm barely 5 ft and I do not look super skinny. A taller size 4,6,8, could often look skinnier than me.

Dress sizes are dress sizes. The sizes people wear are the sizes that should be made.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 8:00 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
Dress sizes are dress sizes. The sizes people wear are the sizes that should be made.

Delete. I did not read the OP well at all. Yes you are right.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 8:10 pm
Maybe the poll says differently and I'm not in any way trying to shame anyone but rather just saying what I see. When I go to non Jewish stores, to the park and other places I see MANY people bigger sizes. I also see lots of people of all sizes...but I do always notice many parents that look very overweight. I just came back from the local kosher ice cream store and I didnt see anyone VERY overweight. I'm thinking of all my frum jewish relatives and all of the people on my block. It really does seem to be true that majority of frum jews are not bigger sizes.

Anyone think differently?

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 8:16 pm
I think severe obesity is less common in the frum community but being somewhat overweight is much more common, perhaps partly because more frum women have had children.

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 8:19 pm
I do not know what other people's experiences are but for myself I ALWAYS have to size up when shopping in frum stores. I'm not sure what it is about the clothes (maybe they aren't made for women with a visible chest or hips) but my size in Macy's clothing is one down from frum stores.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 8:25 pm
I think someone made this point in a different earlier thread but it's worth repeating. The jewish sizes are much smaller than similar sizes in non jewish stores. I used to be a size 6, then a size 8, but after baby number 5 or 6 I think I went up to a size 12 or 14. I tried on the extra large and they were too small, but when I went to kohls or Marshall's I easily fit into medium.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 8:29 pm
I also feel like the Jewish stores are creating a product for a certain body type. Even if you are thin but have a butt or big boobs u need to go up in sizes and it won't fit right. Non Jewish stores don't cater to the same body type . My in laws shop in Jewish stores and they are so thin and even if not very thin are not super curvy so that's why its good for them.

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 8:30 pm
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
I think someone made this point in a different earlier thread but it's worth repeating. The jewish sizes are much smaller than similar sizes in non jewish stores. I used to be a size 6, then a size 8, but after baby number 5 or 6 I think I went up to a size 12 or 14. I tried on the extra large and they were too small, but when I went to kohls or Marshall's I easily fit into medium.

Yes that is exactly what I brought up above. I am an XL in Macy's, Marshall's, nordstrom but 1x/2x in jewish stores. Like what?

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 8:32 pm
I'm 5' tall and a size 8. I'm 31 with 3 kids kh. It's not a big size, but for my height I'm chubby.

finprof

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 8:54 pm
If the stores are getting their stuff from China I can understand the "size confusion". I'm 5'6" 125lbs and I need a L or XL on may of the Amazon dresses I buy. I live OOT so Jewish stores are not an option for me.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 8:55 pm
Depends what I'm buying. Skirts, leggings and the like, 14-16. Tops, usually 10-12, especially this season. I was a 12-14 on the bottom pre-covid.
Page 1 of 13   1  2  3  11  12  13  Next Recent Topics