Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Books similar to BY Times
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 8:40 pm
I like bakers dozen better than by times too.

Especially if you read then out if order, like you get whichever is available whenever at the library, bakers dozen is better.

I didn't remember this, but by times staff changes slightly every few books (girls graduate), and that confused my daughter

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 9:03 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
My daughter, in the past year, read and loved bakers dozen, by times, sukey gross'series...

Sukey Gross has a new one out (in the Passport to Russia series).

Jewish Girls Around the World might be a little lower than BY Times.
Yeah, I'm also coming up with oldies.
Sarah Schleimer has a trilogy. (Her stand alone book Far From the Place We Call Home is an excellent book. Maybe for fifth gr. and up.)
Eva Vogiel's series about girls in a boarding school post WWII.
23 Under One Roof might still be ok. They're longer books even if younger kids might get into them. I think there is an overlap. And it's a currently updated series.
Doodle War.
Rebecca Klempner's books.
Maybe slightly older: The Youngest Bride.
Did anyone mention Libby Lazewnik's Shira books?
Rochel Burstyn novels (not a series).
The Tova Shkedi trilogy.
The Rachel Schorr 2 part The Invisibles.

I could come p with a lot of good stand alone books.

Last edited by PinkFridge on Mon, Apr 12 2021, 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

librarygirl

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 9:09 pm
Achdus club is a little younger, but 23 under 1 roof and Jewish girls around the world should be enjoyable to an 8 year old, even an advanced one.
Not a series, but books by chani altein are very popular.
Books by Miriam jakubowicz are also popular, and she has a 3 book series, carpool clan, that might be good.
In terms of oldies, I second classified information, and there's Tessler triplets, Regards from camp, devora doresh, and bina gold.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 9:14 pm
librarygirl wrote:
Achdus club is a little younger, but 23 under 1 roof and Jewish girls around the world should be enjoyable to an 8 year old, even an advanced one.
Not a series, but books by chani altein are very popular.
Books by Miriam jakubowicz are also popular, and she has a 3 book series, carpool clan, that might be good.
In terms of oldies, I second classified information, and there's Tessler triplets, Regards from camp, devora doresh, and bina gold.

So many great books coming up.
Chani Altein has the Mimi books.
And of course, Regards from Camp!

OP, I know she's gifted and can read older levels, but so often kids will try books that are really too much for now, and it's better if you stall for a half a year or year. Because they'll start them, not appreciate them, and then not pick them up when it's age appropriate. I missed the 8 y.o. Definitely hold off on The Youngest Bride, Far From the Place We Call Home. Look at the Menucha books site.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 9:45 pm
I’m searching for regards from camp! Can’t find it anywhere! I read to my girls before bed, usually a chapter a night. We finished the shira books by Libby lazewnik and now we are doing the trilogy’s from Miriam Elias. Love all those mentions, bakers dozen, BY times, Sukey gross books. She just came out with a new one in the Rivka gross academy series and she has another historical series as well.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 9:46 pm
The Miriam Elias trilogy (try for a dream etc), Shira's summer trilogy (not new but same category). Classified information. Eva Vogiel books. If she likes mysteries-Bina Gold, Leah Lamdan.
Sukey Gross books.
Chani Altein books
Yes-sounds like there should be more new ones! I can't think of any recent series.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 10:48 pm
I read these books as a child, it is surprising there haven't been any new series in all these years.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 11:25 pm
Miriam walfish has tons of books. My girls love them!!

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 11:33 pm
Years ago I read the most hilarious yet touching blog post about the BY Times by former child actress Mara Wilson. She had the utmost nostalgia for them, and lamented that they were out of print and hard to track down. I remember thinking if she would somehow end up in a Jewish library, she'd be able to indulge herself Cool

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 12:02 am
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
Years ago I read the most hilarious yet touching blog post about the BY Times by former child actress Mara Wilson. She had the utmost nostalgia for them, and lamented that they were out of print and hard to track down. I remember thinking if she would somehow end up in a Jewish library, she'd be able to indulge herself Cool
OK I had to look that up. Someone needs to tell her they've been reprinted. What a great read.
And yes, I'm buying them. You all were right, these are classics.
https://the-toast.net/2015/03/.....club/

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 12:05 am
PinkFridge wrote:
So many great books coming up.
Chani Altein has the Mimi books.
And of course, Regards from Camp!

OP, I know she's gifted and can read older levels, but so often kids will try books that are really too much for now, and it's better if you stall for a half a year or year. Because they'll start them, not appreciate them, and then not pick them up when it's age appropriate. I missed the 8 y.o. Definitely hold off on The Youngest Bride, Far From the Place We Call Home. Look at the Menucha books site.
Oh yes, I don't want to read books that are too mature. I'm looking to buy books that she'll want to read a hundred times. She can get one and done books from her school library. I'm going to have to look at everything mentioned on this thread. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 12:06 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
OK I had to look that up. Someone needs to tell her they've been reprinted. What a great read.

Wow a blast from the past! Thanks for digging that up!
It's just as sweet a post as I remember:)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 12:06 am
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
The Miriam Elias trilogy (try for a dream etc), Shira's summer trilogy (not new but same category). Classified information. Eva Vogiel books. If she likes mysteries-Bina Gold, Leah Lamdan.
Sukey Gross books.
Chani Altein books
Yes-sounds like there should be more new ones! I can't think of any recent series.
It seems like they don't really publish series nowadays. But those are the books she loves. I loved them as a kid too. The characters become your friends.

Raisin

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 4:47 am
Yes, the BY times is basically a spin off from the Babysitters club and other similar series from the 80s/90s.

My daughter loved this series when she was that age.

https://www.amazon.com/Libas-P.....30834

And thanks for that blog post. This made me lol: a computer virus launched by a disgruntled [gentile] college student nicknamed “Superhacker” (it was mentioned that he hadn’t gotten into the fraternity he’d wanted to join, which showed that Leah Klein knew even less about hackers than she did about Gentiles) shut down Dusty, the newspaper’s trusted word processor.

I remember that incident!! It made me quite scared of being hacked.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 8:52 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Thank you so much! I wasn't getting anywhere googling, but I guess it's because I didn't go back in time.
This is a fascinating read! I love the line that Zionism was a given because they all visited so often.
Oh, and of course she's appalled by Nechama's hair being described as an Afro: it's a Jewfro.

Thoughtful piece.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 8:54 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Oh yes, I don't want to read books that are too mature. I'm looking to buy books that she'll want to read a hundred times. She can get one and done books from her school library. I'm going to have to look at everything mentioned on this thread. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Why would she reread series more than stand alones? There are some marvelous books; but like I said, I'd wait another year - end of third grade, beginning of fourth.

ETA: Just saw the line about characters becoming friends re series. I appreciate that.

How about biographies? Menucha's Lady Amelie is wonderful.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 9:11 am
Lady Amelie is written on a very low level. I was surprised. The sentence structure was very simple, and sentences were very short.

However, A Sister In White, by Miriam Zakon, about Schvester Selma, and The Queen of BY, about Rebbetzin Judith Grunfeld, are on fourth grade level, and are beautiful books. They may be a little too bloody for an 8yr old... Discuss wars. I like them because they give lots of historical background.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 9:16 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Why would she reread series more than stand alones? There are some marvelous books; but like I said, I'd wait another year - end of third grade, beginning of fourth.

ETA: Just saw the line about characters becoming friends re series. I appreciate that.

How about biographies? Menucha's Lady Amelie is wonderful.

She’s at the end of third grade. I have bought her many non Jewish books and the ones she loves are the series. Dh is unhappy with what she’s reading because the books all discuss boyfriends.
I will look at all those. Hopefully I can find the reading level for these books somewhere.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 9:41 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
She’s at the end of third grade. I have bought her many non Jewish books and the ones she loves are the series. Dh is unhappy with what she’s reading because the books all discuss boyfriends.
I will look at all those. Hopefully I can find the reading level for these books somewhere.

The BSC books have been reprinted recently. If you stick with the first 30-40 there is minimal boyfriend stuff, it's very tame.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 9:52 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Boxcar children are not as high a level as bakers dozen, but no boyfriends for at least the first twenty books.
(If she really is gifted, she probably read boxcar last year.)
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room