Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Plz help me calm down (teenager) UPDATE
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 6:17 pm
My teenager never ever complains. Now he called dh to pick him up from yeshiva cuz he's not feeling well. He threw up twice and is fevering. I live very close to yeshiva and he was too weak to walk home. I keep on thinking a teenager who never complains and a teenager with fever must be something very wrong. He threw up once and a few min later again. Of course he'll be going to the Dr first thing tom. But I won't be able to sleep.
Eta: the last time he was sick was last yr November and he had the flu.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 6:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My teenager never ever complains. Now he called dh to pick him up from yeshiva cuz he's not feeling well. He threw up twice and is fevering. I live very close to yeshiva and he was too weak to walk home. I keep on thinking a teenager who never complains and a teenager with fever must be something very wrong. He threw up once and a few min later again. Of course he'll be going to the Dr first thing tom. But I won't be able to sleep.
Eta: the last time he was sick was last yr November and he had the flu.

it's fine. I promise. Kids are allowed to be sick. Yeshivos are hotbeds of disease- my son in yeshiva is always sick with something or another. You'll take him to the doctor, it's probably the flu or some kind of stomach virus. Within a day or two he'll be back to himself.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 6:57 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
it's fine. I promise. Kids are allowed to be sick. Yeshivos are hotbeds of disease- my son in yeshiva is always sick with something or another. You'll take him to the doctor, it's probably the flu or some kind of stomach virus. Within a day or two he'll be back to himself.

You're right abt yeshivas are hotbeds. But he wasn't in yeshiva now cuz of pesach. He just started today and started hr or two late too. He was barely in yeshiva for a few hrs.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 6:58 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:

I doubt it's the flu. Who's still getting the flu these days. (Brooklyn)

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 6:58 pm
Sounds like a stomach virus. He'll probably be better in 12 hours.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 7:00 pm
I’m not an alarmist although I am a worrier. I would call the doctors after hours number or go to urgent care. I have a younger child who doesnt complain

I’m being outvoted and dont want to worry you. Sorry OP. I didn't mean to worry you.

causemommysaid

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 7:00 pm
people get sick. this really doesnt sound like anything more than a stomach bug. He will be fine

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 7:03 pm
Did he eat dinner at Yeshiva?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 7:05 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
I’m not an alarmist although I am a worrier. I would call the doctors after hours number or go to urgent care. I have a younger child who doesnt complain

I’m being outvoted and dont want to worry you. Sorry OP. I didn't mean to worry you.

I took him to an urgent care. They made fun of me. They checked him out and took a culture.
I'm a big worrier too. That's why I posted. Guaranteed I'll be up most of the night on here, youtube, etc. When my kids are sick especially dh or the older ones I'm sick to my stomach. Guaranteed every noise I'll hear I'll run check if he's throwing up again or if he's breathing and conscious.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 7:06 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
Did he eat dinner at Yeshiva?

No. He came home and went straight to bed. He's mad at me because he wanted his bed and made him go to an urgent care first.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 7:09 pm
You have to break down your fear. Ask yourself what's the absolute worst case scenario, then ask yourself how likely it is to happen, then ask yourself what's the level before that of worst case scenario and how likely it is to happen. Go through all the levels until you reach the level of he is sick, he will feel sick and then he will get better and everything will be fine.

Most teens with a stomach virus or food poisoning get better pretty quickly.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 7:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No. He came home and went straight to bed. He's mad at me because he wanted his bed and made him go to an urgent care first.

Shlepping sick kids out of bed can often make the symptoms worse. Letting him sleep it off is the best thing. Something to consider for the future.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 7:10 pm
He's really mad. He's like the Dr said I don't even have fever. Then I had a little chat with him and come to find out he took Tylenol in yeshiva 5 hrs before that. The kid would never take Tylenol if he wouldn't be really sick. I was mad at him why he didn't call me. So he says I would make him come home. He's right on that. You bet I'd have him come home. Whatever now I'll have to worry the night out till I can see my regular Dr tomorrow (if he doesn't disappear to yeshiva before I realize).

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 7:11 pm
What are you worrying about? What do you think happens if someone throws up?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 7:12 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
Shlepping sick kids out of bed can often make the symptoms worse. Letting him sleep it off is the best thing. Something to consider for the future.

I didn't shlep him out. When dh went to pick him up from yeshiva cuz he was too sick to walk the 5 min home he made a stop.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 7:13 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
What are you worrying about? What do you think happens if someone throws up?

Nothing in a reality. The fact that he threw up 2x close in time + fever. To me and adult with fever and throwing up isn't viral.

causemommysaid

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 7:18 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He's really mad. He's like the Dr said I don't even have fever. Then I had a little chat with him and come to find out he took Tylenol in yeshiva 5 hrs before that. The kid would never take Tylenol if he wouldn't be really sick. I was mad at him why he didn't call me. So he says I would make him come home. He's right on that. You bet I'd have him come home. Whatever now I'll have to worry the night out till I can see my regular Dr tomorrow (if he doesn't disappear to yeshiva before I realize).

No offense meant but you are acting a little crazy. You want him to feel he can come to you when he's sick. Driving him crazy with urgent care, youtube, imamother, doctor in the morning will make him not call you next time hes not feeling well. Drink some tea and go to sleep. He will be fine.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 7:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Oh. This changes things. I’m the one who wrote Id call or take to urgent care. I was picturing a usually non complaining child now lethargic, sick and throwing up.
If he thinks he is fine and has the energy to be mad at you then it changes things. Also the fact that you are a worrier. beH he can sleep it off and let his body heal. Sleep really is the most important thing. Refuah shelima.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 7:33 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
Oh. This changes things. I’m the one who wrote Id call or take to urgent care. I was picturing a usually non complaining child now lethargic, sick and throwing up.
If he thinks he is fine and has the energy to be mad at you then it changes things. Also the fact that you are a worrier. beH he can sleep it off and let his body heal. Sleep really is the most important thing. Refuah shelima.

It's one thing if he comes home and tells me he's not feeling well and that he threw up and took Tylenol. It's another thing when he calls to be picked up cuz he can't walk home the 5 min walk. He is a non complaining kid. If if he wouldn't tell me anything. His face said it all. He was to weak and had no patience for anything. All he wanted was his bed. I'm not talking abt a typical teenager. He's 15 going on 20. Full of spunk, energy, and life. And now he's just the opposite.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 7:35 pm
causemommysaid wrote:
No offense meant but you are acting a little crazy. You want him to feel he can come to you when he's sick. Driving him crazy with urgent care, youtube, imamother, doctor in the morning will make him not call you next time hes not feeling well. Drink some tea and go to sleep. He will be fine.

I hear you. You're making sense. My worrier side won't let me not take him to my regular Dr unless he's feels much better Tom and wakes up without fever. I guess time will tell.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics