Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Dh needs to gain weight

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 9:37 am
My husband is 5'5 and extremely skinny. he is very very underweight. He is very health conscientious and enjoys eating healthy. WW, Protein, Veggies etc. He hardly noshes. He drinks only water etc. I am worried that he is too skinny. He tried protein drinks and shakes to help him gain weight but he was always too full when drinking them. He tends to get full easily and his stomach bothers him when he overeats. Any advice on how to gain weight in a healthy way? thank you so much!

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 9:40 am
My husband is the same except that he’s not health conscious and eats all kinds of junk. He is 6ft ans weighs in the low 140s . When I asked his doctors she said he should eat healthy incorporating veggies and proteins ans whole grains and if he’s eating well I shouldn’t be concerned. So I guess what I’m saying is first check with your doc if he actually needs fo gain weight as he’s eating so healthy.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 9:43 am
interesting. My hub weighs 97 pounds and is about 5'5!!

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 9:48 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
interesting. My hub weighs 97 pounds and is about 5'5!!

I am not the “jumping to conclusions” or “diagnosing” type but he does seem to care a lot for a super skinny guy. Can it be he subconsciously (or not) has an eating disorder?
Signed, dh is 6”2 and 140lbs

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 9:59 am
Is his doctor concerned? It’s between him and his doctor

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 10:09 am
I have an underweight kid and the advice is always to add calories wherever you can. Cook with more oil and butter, put cheese on everything... In my experience it only works those of us who don't need to gain weight! My underweight kid just stayed the same, some people are naturally petite.
I would just make sure to get thorough blood work done to make sure there's no medical reason for his size like Thyroid issues, Celiac, Chrons, Lyme etc.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 4:34 pm
Anything with food will just make him unhealthy. Skinny people do not gain weight on healthy food unless they overeat. The only way to bulk up is exercise, weight lifting & muscle building. A gym membership or trainer will do it.

I have a lot of experience with skinny guys. They will slowly get a bit more meat as they age.

mizle10

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 4:36 pm
Maybe snacking on nuts would help. Healthy, not very filling and full of fat.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 6:50 pm
My kids endocrinologist said that even though pediatricians sometimes recommend that small kids get extra calories- she personally doesn’t recommend that. (As long as they are eating well enough and getting enough calories and growing well enough) but not just for the sake of them gaining weight. She thinks it could cause problems later potentially.
Just her thoughts shared with me -doesn’t mean if applies to everyone.

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 9:09 pm
Sounds like it can be ARFID. Contact Brian Pollack LCSW. He is an expert at treating this behaviorally.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise