Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
S/o fat shaming. Poll re size to see what average REALLY is
  Previous  1  2  3  4 11  12  13  Next

What size do you wear?
0-2 or below  
 6%  [ 41 ]
4-6  
 19%  [ 132 ]
8-10  
 19%  [ 127 ]
10-12  
 18%  [ 120 ]
14-16  
 15%  [ 106 ]
16-18 or above  
 20%  [ 137 ]
Total Votes : 663

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 9:04 pm
I think it is all about wanting to project a high end/fancy/exclusive image. They don’t want “unattractive” (not my opinion) people representing their store. I think they would rather limit their costumer base to those who fit the image they want to project. They are happy for everyone else to shop elsewhere.

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 9:32 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
I think it is all about wanting to project a high end/fancy/exclusive image. They don’t want “unattractive” (not my opinion) people representing their store. I think they would rather limit their costumer base to those who fit the image they want to project. They are happy for everyone else to shop elsewhere.

Barf. I hope you’re wrong but it makes sense

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 10:06 pm
Many years ago my mother took my sister to a uniform store. The lady looked at my sister and said you are a size 4 my Mom said I don't think so, the lady said Oh yes we have some bigger size 4 and smaller size 4 but everyone is a size 4. People were buying skirts there very happly.

A few years pass and my mother went with me to a different uniform store there everything was cut small if you were an 8 you were a 10 or 12. The owner said this is uniform sizes but many of the girls were so horrified by their new size that they refused to by the skirts or would only let there mother by one skirt.

My mother said you see from this that one store wants to make a sale the other store does not care.

English3

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 2:46 am
I am just wondering if UK is different in sizing. I am a UK 12-14

SuperWify

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 3:04 am
English3 wrote:
I am just wondering if UK is different in sizing. I am a UK 12-14

Yes a 12-14 uk is about and 8-10 us.

English3

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 3:05 am
Wow I just lost a size yay. I think I am moving to usa

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 4:23 am
It's sometimes hard to tell what size someone is by looking at her. When I go into stores they want to give me size 12-14 to try on but in anything that will go over my hips I need an 18 usually since my hips are my largest part. (I'm smaller on top so unless something is very flary and I can buy a 14 I usually take things in on top)
I don't look "obese" I'm just built with large hips. And I have a lot of trouble finding clothes. Oftentimes the largest size in the store is too snug. And I know there are many many women my size or larger. Where do they shop? Not in the frum stores that's for sure.

I do know some size inclusive frum brands that sell online with free returns. Esteez for casual snd Impact Fashion for dressy are two I've bought from in the past that come to mind.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 4:30 am
One of the frum stores by us has the large sizes, but not necessarily in the front on the racks. They have really good customer service, and it ends up being like a shoe store- you pull something off the rack and ask the employee if they have it in your size. If they don't, they try to pull something similar for you that they do have.

Incidentally, you would do the same thing if you're a size 0, or for many sizes- they only display a few of each item.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 5:12 am
It looks like, from the poll results, that size 8 to size 16 is the bulk of the shoppers and that a store that carries that size range is going to attract the majority of shoppers.
It looks to me that stores like Ruthie's has bigger sizes. When the store orders an item, the manufacturer often sells it it packages where there are more of small, medium, and large items and fewer pieces that are XS or XL.
Most of the stores are small and must define their market. They can't be all things to all people.
It was funny that on Purim, two women arrived at shul wearing the same outfit but in two vastly different sizes so it appears that some Monsey stores cater to all types.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 7:22 am
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
I agree!! It was so depressing to go shopping before pesach! I ended up finding 2 tops in size large in same company that fit! I am really an xL/1X. I am 5'7" so I carry the weight. I would love to lose 30 pounds. Easier said than done. Mid 30's, between 5-9 kids. Then I needed a skirt. Found an XL skirt that fit, just! It feels a little tight when I wear it but looks good. Need to lose 10 pounds in order for it to fit comfortably.
I realized many people over 35 are heavier. Although there are some naturally thin people.

Hugs to you!! It's horrible.
We need to twist ourselves into pretzels to fit into that one stupid skirt or shirt that the skirt has in our size... if even that.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 7:22 am
southernbubby wrote:
It looks like, from the poll results, that size 8 to size 16 is the bulk of the shoppers and that a store that carries that size range is going to attract the majority of shoppers.
It looks to me that stores like Ruthie's has bigger sizes. When the store orders an item, the manufacturer often sells it it packages where there are more of small, medium, and large items and fewer pieces that are XS or XL.
Most of the stores are small and must define their market. They can't be all things to all people.
It was funny that on Purim, two women arrived at shul wearing the same outfit but in two vastly different sizes so it appears that some Monsey stores cater to all types.

Right now it seems that 53% of imamothers are between the sizes of 8 and 16. While 53% is certainly a majority of shoppers, 47% is quite a lot of customers as well.

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 7:24 am
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
Maybe the poll says differently and I'm not in any way trying to shame anyone but rather just saying what I see. When I go to non Jewish stores, to the park and other places I see MANY people bigger sizes. I also see lots of people of all sizes...but I do always notice many parents that look very overweight. I just came back from the local kosher ice cream store and I didnt see anyone VERY overweight. I'm thinking of all my frum jewish relatives and all of the people on my block. It really does seem to be true that majority of frum jews are not bigger sizes.

Anyone think differently?

Absolutely. I see it quite the opposite. Majority of my shul members are overweight and many other people in the community

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 7:25 am
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
no not a 4, but a 10? 12? I don’t know, most women in the teen - 40 age range don’t look plus size to me.

As others have said there's no plus size "look"
And sizes 14 and 16 are not even plus size.
Everyone carries weight differently and you'd never know sizes just by looking at them.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 7:34 am
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
I an 5'5 and around 160 lbs (would like to be around 140) in my early 30s.

I bought skirts in Lakewood last summer, and was shocked to be a size 16!!!
The 14s were a little too tight to be comfortably tznius for me, and the 16s were a little loose.

In Lakewood, I'm a L in tops. At tj maxx/kohls, I'm a L or M, and they run looser than frum styles.

But, I don't look obese, nor do I look thin. I look pretty normal. Just a little overweight learning.

because you are pretty normal!!
People that are small sizes have this image of what a size 16 or 18 woman must look like. But it's totally not like that. A size 16 woman can look slimmer than a size 10 woman depending on her proportions.

Looking at this poll, while not scientific, it gives us a good indicator of just how many people are indeed those sizes.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 7:38 am
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:

It is exactly this.
There is great demand. There's just ego and image involved.
I mean if you can just exclude a huge swath of women deemed "less attractive" from wearing your clothes... than why not?
It's absolutely disgusting and barf worthy.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 7:53 am
southernbubby wrote:

I don't know where you are seeing that.
The last option is size 16-18 and ABOVE. According to this poll they are the MAJORITY. The biggest percentage. Which means that you'd need to make the MOST clothing in sizes 12,14,16,18,20,22 if you are interested in catering to the actual population's needs and not only your image.

And just FYI to all those saying that age matters and suggesting that it's mostly the older women that are these sizes (and even then, do they not deserve clothing??) please check out any one of the age poll threads and you'll see that Imamother skews young.

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....35893

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 7:57 am
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
Right now it seems that 53% of imamothers are between the sizes of 8 and 16. While 53% is certainly a majority of shoppers, 47% is quite a lot of customers as well.

No one's stopping to make size zero and 2's and 4's and 6's. They are doing that and doing that exceeding well.

They are marginalizing the other shoppers under the excuse that there isn't such a great demand as the smaller sizes. Well, guess what that excuse doesn't work anymore. There are actually MORE bigger shoppers than smaller sized ones and it's high time the options in the stores reflect that.

Why does a majority need to spend time crawling and begging on the internet where to find a plus size item? Why do they need to feel afraid and embarrassed when walking into a regular store? Why is the store catering to less than half the population???

I am not worried they'll stop doing the smaller sizes. Trust me, that won't happen. And it shouldn't. Smaller sized women also deserve to shop and get dressed and look beautiful.

But so do bigger women. And the time has come to show that NO it is not because there is no demand. It's an issue of image, ego, and exclusivity.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 8:33 am
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:

True but that also includes sizes 0 to 6.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 8:39 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No one's stopping to make size zero and 2's and 4's and 6's. They are doing that and doing that exceeding well.

They are marginalizing the other shoppers under the excuse that there isn't such a great demand as the smaller sizes. Well, guess what that excuse doesn't work anymore. There are actually MORE bigger shoppers than smaller sized ones and it's high time the options in the stores reflect that.

Why does a majority need to spend time crawling and begging on the internet where to find a plus size item? Why do they need to feel afraid and embarrassed when walking into a regular store? Why is the store catering to less than half the population???

I am not worried they'll stop doing the smaller sizes. Trust me, that won't happen. And it shouldn't. Smaller sized women also deserve to shop and get dressed and look beautiful.

But so do bigger women. And the time has come to show that NO it is not because there is no demand. It's an issue of image, ego, and exclusivity.

Because of this thread, I looked at the sizes when I was at Walmart this morning and they sell up to size 3X. There are some companies on board with that.
People need to let stores know why they don't shop there and maybe they will start to respond. I don't think that people avoid stores that have bigger sizes as long as they are trendy and it's hard to get trendy with the really big sizes (not talking about 18-20).

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 8:47 am
southernbubby wrote:
True but that also includes sizes 0 to 6.

And yet there is no problem finding sizes 0 to 6, yet our stores generally do not carry 16+. And it's a similar percentage of women. I wonder why that is?

(I agree it's all about their image).
Page 3 of 13   Previous  1  2  3  4 11  12  13  Next Recent Topics