Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Is my grocery bill normal for a couple
1  2  Next

scruffy

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 8:51 pm
My weekly shop bill comes out to about $150-$175 each week and it's only DH and I. I'm not buying anything extravagant, mostly chicken in terms of protein. A decent amount of dairy and a lot of (more inexpensive) fruits and vegetables since we like to keep things healthy. No convenience products or paper goods etc. Does the price sound about right? Feels like a lot of money to me for just a couple...

Any way I could bring the bill down easily? I don't have space (freezer/other) to store in bulk so that's not an option.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 9:01 pm
Sounds a bit high if you’re tight, but not unreasonable.

A few small things to consider :
Could you buy whichever meat/chicken is on sale that week instead of planning based on recipes? We also have eggs or other vegetarian protein for dinner at least once a week (falafel, veggie burgers on sale etc)
Stretch the protein by adding sides to a meal?
Is there a smaller produce market with better prices on the fresh produce OR could you get decent frozen produce for cheaper to use in recipes.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 9:10 pm
Sounds about right. If you want to, you can look at the circular for sale items before you make your weekly menu and shopping list.

scruffy

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 9:23 pm
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
Sounds a bit high if you’re tight, but not unreasonable.

A few small things to consider :
Could you buy whichever meat/chicken is on sale that week instead of planning based on recipes? We also have eggs or other vegetarian protein for dinner at least once a week (falafel, veggie burgers on sale etc)
Stretch the protein by adding sides to a meal?
Is there a smaller produce market with better prices on the fresh produce OR could you get decent frozen produce for cheaper to use in recipes.

Vegetarian mains are a great idea! I like your ideas, plus I serve chili once in a while, I could do vegetarian. Also a good reminder to shop the sales, which I try to do as well.

There's a limit to how much I can stretch the protein- DH is a BIG protein eater.

I'm pretty sure I'm shopping in the cheapest local option for vegetables, but good idea to check out the frozen produce options.

scruffy

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 9:25 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
Sounds about right. If you want to, you can look at the circular for sale items before you make your weekly menu and shopping list.

Thank you for the reassurance!

tichellady

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 9:31 pm
Sounds good to me. If you can afford it, great. If not, there are ways to cut back

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 9:58 pm
Sounds actually quite low to me.
I have one kid and our weekly bill is about $350 and we don’t buy anything crazy.

ddmom

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 10:04 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Sounds actually quite low to me.
I have one kid and our weekly bill is about $350 and we don’t buy anything crazy.

I think it depends on where you live as well. Kosher product are way more out of town than in tri-state area!!
So especially if you don't freeze but buy fresh chicken on weekly basis it can make a big difference! On dairy products as well!(unless you eat ou-d and buy in supermarket!)

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 10:33 pm
It sounds pretty reasonable if you are home and cooking for Shabbos. If Shabbos is separate, I think it might be high. It also depends on if you are in/OOT, eat only CY/PY, or have the ability to go to multiple stores and utilize a cheap fruit store rather than the supermarket.
One can cut back. Do you need to or just wondering if it is reasonable?

scruffy

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 10:36 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
It sounds pretty reasonable if you are home and cooking for Shabbos. If Shabbos is separate, I think it might be high. It also depends on if you are in/OOT, eat only CY/PY, or have the ability to go to multiple stores and utilize a cheap fruit store rather than the supermarket.
One can cut back. Do you need to or just wondering if it is reasonable?

Yes, I'm cooking for Shabbos most weeks. I live in town and only eat CY.

Things are a bit tight and I'd love to cut back some but I'm not desperate...

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 5:11 am
Buying only brand products? Private label products? Do you buy a certain brand not matter what it costs? Buying a lot of ready made sauces, condiments or canned products instead of making them yourself? Do you compare prices? Many times the cheaper product is placed on a lower shelf and the expensive on sight height.
Have your tried out different supermarkets? Some are expensive on a certain segment and cheaper on others.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 6:00 am
Also, non Jewish products (ketchup, pasta, etc) are generally cheaper at non Jewish stores (I generally do Walmart or target once a month)

Rappel

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 6:06 am
I like your question! And you've had several good answers here.

Side tip: It you want to stretch your proteinca bit, making soups and stir fry with lots of veggies can make it go farther. If your DH is a body builder, then it may be worth it for him to invest in protein powder and add it to shakes/coffee/etc so he can get his protein boost.

Raisin

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 6:18 am
Its about $10 a day for each of you. Is this including breakfast and lunch? Then its $3 per meal. I think its reasonable.

scruffy

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 8:34 am
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
Also, non Jewish products (ketchup, pasta, etc) are generally cheaper at non Jewish stores (I generally do Walmart or target once a month)

That's a good idea- I should do that!

Thank you all for your replies.

Window

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 10:36 am
We started doing vegetarian a lot. Saves soooo much money! I also have an instant pot, so I buy raw beans. They’re like $1 a bag, vs canned, which is $1 per can. Shakshuka, tacos, burritos, quesadillas, I’ve made a vegetarian shepherds pie, etc... basically, you can sub beans for meat. I started by flipping through cookbooks for inspiration. Also, many times, I start with an idea in my head and I google to find a good recipe and method. Good luck!

Amarante

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 10:50 am
It's not an unreasonable amount for two people but it's always possible to save a bit and still eat well.

There is something between Chilean Sea Bass and Rib Eye every night and beans every night.

In my experience, it is easier to cook a nice meal with chicken or salmon without having to fuss too much. Cooking with alternative protein sources like beans or tofu requires a bit more imagination and work to provide a tasty meal. However, there are very delicious recipes using less expensive ingredients if you are willing to take the time to find them and try them.

More standard ways of saving money on a food budget are shopping the sales and making up a shopping list. Even if you don't have a large freezer you can buy a reasonable quantity of chicken (for example) when it is on sale. I love fresh produce - if you shop for produce in season and on sale, it is much cheaper than buying imported stuff out of season. Again, you can find recipes to make less expensive produce more delicious.

Shopping once a week and using a list because you have planned your menus really helps save money.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 10:50 am
qwertyqwerty wrote:
We started doing vegetarian a lot. Saves soooo much money! I also have an instant pot, so I buy raw beans. They’re like $1 a bag, vs canned, which is $1 per can. Shakshuka, tacos, burritos, quesadillas, I’ve made a vegetarian shepherds pie, etc... basically, you can sub beans for meat. I started by flipping through cookbooks for inspiration. Also, many times, I start with an idea in my head and I google to find a good recipe and method. Good luck!

I do parve vegetarian style meals too. Once or twice a week. Baked falafel, black bean burgers, lentil chili, big hearty soup with beans/lentils and a homemade easy bread. Saves a ton of money. 2-3 dollars for the protein vs. 10-15 for chicken/meat.

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 10:57 am
I agree with the Walmart suggestion for basics and also go there about once every 4-6 weeks. I have plenty of storage space, but if you don't it's still worth going every 2-3 weeks if not too far from you. The following items are MUCH cheaper at Walmart than in my local grocery and it really adds up:

Pasta
Rice
Flour
Sugar
Spices
Peanut Butter
Oil
Mayo
Coffee
Snacks - granola bars, nuts, etc.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 11:16 am
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
I agree with the Walmart suggestion for basics and also go there about once every 4-6 weeks. I have plenty of storage space, but if you don't it's still worth going every 2-3 weeks if not too far from you. The following items are MUCH cheaper at Walmart than in my local grocery and it really adds up:

Pasta
Rice
Flour
Sugar
Spices
Peanut Butter
Oil
Mayo
Coffee
Snacks - granola bars, nuts, etc.

Oh yes. This definitely makes a difference.

I live OOT so I ONLY buy these kinds of items in Walmart (or another even cheaper store). The only things I buy at the kosher grocery is meat, chicken, CY milk, ice cream, yogurt. I get CY cheese in Costco since it is cheaper.

I cannot imagine what my grocery bill would look like if I didn't shop this way! 😱
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics