Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
How do you get baby onto a normal schedule?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 3:49 pm
My 5 week old baby doesn't go to sleep before 12/1 am and I'm getting very stressed out because I'm going back to work soon. With my older child, I went to sleep every night at 10pm, so even though I was up every 2-3 hours, it was enough sleep cumulatively.

This baby won't go down for the night and it's so difficult because I'm not managing on so little sleep! Is there a way to get her to fall asleep earlier?

Also is there a way to schedule her so that she eats at around 8am so she can go to babysitter afterwards?

stillnewlywed

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 3:50 pm
Does she nap in the evenings?

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 3:53 pm
If you have instagram, check out baby sleep maven or she has a website babysleepmaven.com - I found info very useful. She also does actual one on one sleep training (only for older babies) I used her and was so happy.
Good luck!!

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 4:20 pm
If you wear it with a baby carrier it is extremely good for the baby snd he will move with you during the day.

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 8:00 am
Bumping this thread.
My baby won’t fall asleep till midnight and it’s driving me insane. Would waking her in the morning make her go to sleep earlier than midnight?

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 8:05 am
We found cluster feeding around dinner time and then forcing her to sleep after that by rocking/ holding her got her on a regular schedule so that she began sleeping in her bed at that time about a month later. We started this schedule from birth . (I finished feeding 7:30, handed her off to husband who rocked her while he learned and went to bed till she needed to eat at 11. )

jewishmom6

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 8:50 am
idk all my kids went to sleep around 12/1 when they were newborns and I was busy feeding like every hr in the evenings.

bh now my little girl is 10 wks and just started going to bed at 10:30/11 and thats really ecxiting:)

Last edited by jewishmom6 on Tue, Apr 13 2021, 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 8:59 am
Cluster feeding didn’t work, as she just spit out the whole thing. She looked like she was hungry, so I fed her every hour from 8:00 on. In reality she was tired, but couldn’t fall asleep.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 9:48 am
My baby never ever fell asleep on his own. Then I started reading sleep help books and started putting him in before he was really tired. At the first signs I put him in his crib and Bh he started sleeping on his own. He’s also been going to sleep every night at 7:30 since around 7 weeks old. Just keep working on a schedule and his/her body will adjust.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 10:03 am
I don’t know how old ur baby is but try to keep the baby up for 2 hours (maybe even 3!!) if you can before bed. In that time you’re going to have to be focused on the baby which is hard if u have a lot to do. I would give a Long bath, lotions, dressing .. stretch the process out. After that I’d do a feeding, burp well and then swaddle and put the baby down. At that point the baby should be pretty tired and hopefully be able to fall asleep on his/her own

SuperWify

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 10:46 am
Even if you nurse, give a formula bottle right before bedtime. It helps baby fall asleep and sleep longer.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 10:51 am
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
I don’t know how old ur baby is but try to keep the baby up for 2 hours (maybe even 3!!) if you can before bed. In that time you’re going to have to be focused on the baby which is hard if u have a lot to do. I would give a Long bath, lotions, dressing .. stretch the process out. After that I’d do a feeding, burp well and then swaddle and put the baby down. At that point the baby should be pretty tired and hopefully be able to fall asleep on his/her own

If I let my baby get overtired he would be impossible. Screaming for hours. I would not keep a little baby up more than they can manage.

simchamommy

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 10:52 am
at what age is it normal to go to sleep by 7/8 pm?

jewishmom6

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 10:59 am
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
If I let my baby get overtired he would be impossible. Screaming for hours. I would not keep a little baby up more than they can manage.

100% agree. A newborn awake time is usually up to an hr.

Frumme

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 11:26 am
jewishmom6 wrote:
idk all my kids went to sleep around 12/1 when they were newborns and I was busy feeding like every hr in the evenings.

bh now my little girl is 10 wks and just started going to bed at 10:30/11 and thats really ecxiting:)

I have the same experience.

What has helped is to set the "mood" for bedtime. Make sure lights are dim, room not too hot, nothing stimulating.

I find it's really easy to get babies to sleep in the morning. As the day goes on, it gets harder and harder. So by bed time really make sure that baby is not overtired, since it will keep them up! And the worst is, if they are super over tired then they usually wake up not long after they finally fall asleep.

Check diaper, don't feed too close to bedtime, burp burp burp, make sure that you are feeding them plenty of the fatty, filling "hindmilk" (massage or "shake" your breast before a feed to loosen the fat molecules from your milk ducts).

If all else fails, take off all of their clothes. Look for wetness (maybe they got spit up on them and don't like the wet), look for hairs or fuzz around their fingers and toes. Then dress, reswaddle, and go back to rocking/swaying/etc.

Slowly slowly bring bedtime down from 1 am to 12:45 to 12:30 etc. Etc.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics