Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
How to make staying home into a retreat
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 9:19 am
For Shavuot
All ideas and planning welcomed

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 9:54 am
Any one

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 10:08 am
Easy to prep foods/take out/paper goods so no clean up. Make your life easy.
Get treats to eat and literature /new toys to enjoy.

Let the house maintenance slide, you can deal with it after but will be relaxed in the present.

yksraya

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 10:09 am
Are you trying to have a retreat for yourself, or hosting marrieds?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 10:12 am
yksraya wrote:
Are you trying to have a retreat for yourself, or hosting marrieds?

Both

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 10:13 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Easy to prep foods/take out/paper goods so no clean up. Make your life easy.
Get treats to eat and literature /new toys to enjoy.

Let the house maintenance slide, you can deal with it after but will be relaxed in the present.

None of this sound retreat.
Sorry
I don’t want to plan it

benny

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 10:15 am
Hire a waiter for meals! We’ve done it and it was amazing. Your own heaven homemade food, but none of the serving, plating, cleanup…

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 10:16 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
None of this sound retreat.
Sorry
I don’t want to plan it

Wait, what? I’m so confused! What type of replies are you looking for?
I own a salon and I have some fancy customers who tell me that they cater their yom tov and have waiter service (which isn’t so expensive- btw) so that they can relax by the meals and the set up/ clean up and serving it taken care of..

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 10:17 am
benny wrote:
Hire a waiter for meals! We’ve done it and it was amazing. Your own heaven homemade food, but none of the serving, plating, cleanup…

I see we cross posted!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 10:17 am
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
Wait, what? I’m so confused! What type of replies are you looking for?
I own a salon and I have some fancy customers who tell me that they cater their yom tov and have waiter service (which isn’t so expensive- btw) so that they can relax by the meals and the set up/ clean up and serving it taken care of..

Yes this sounds more like it
But I don’t know where to look for this in my town

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 10:18 am
Order all the food. See if a local caterer will do full meals that they put together. You can also ask if they have a waiter service you can hire.

How much can you stretch financially to make this happen?

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 10:19 am
You can hire a party/event planner to take care of the entire yom tov. Cooking, serving, cleaning, setting and clearing the table, paper goods if you're using....

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 10:19 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Type “waiter services” into google maps and start calling

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 10:25 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
For Shavuot
All ideas and planning welcomed

My friend has done this many times.

She hires a caterer who brings along waiters. She has live in cleaning help.

Sometimes she even hires an event planner, who orders and sets the tables and chairs, tablecloths etc. Orders the food and caterer along with the waiters. So one single phone call does it all for her.

The caterer doesn't touch her kitchen at all. He works and serves from the garage with commercial warmers.

amother
Brunette

amother [ OP ] wrote:

If there are kosher caterers in your town, they can probably give you names.

amother
Maroon

BTW, if you are the amother who was having a hard time on Pesach and looking for a hotel feel, I think this is very smart. And if you're not her, I hope she's reading.

If you have a caterer do this, have them either give you a menu or label the pans: "Supper night 1", "Lunch day 2", "milchig kiddush". That way you (or wait staff) can just arrange them by day and pop them in the oven or on the blech as needed, and then relax.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 10:29 am
Also, if there are young children involved, I would post to a local group or call around to try to get a girl/girls to come in one or more of the afternoons to do something fun with the kids. Take them to the park, run a game, etc. Possibly even at around ten in the morning so you can relax or go to shul, if that's more helpful (and if you can find girls who will get up), or specifically during a shiur you want to go to. Basically, like the kids club in hotels.

yksraya

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 10:30 am
Hire waiter service, and cleaning help to do the dishes and cleaning after meals etc.

Cook in advance or order ready food.

Get some good milchig miniatures, cheesecakes and salads for milchig kiddush.

Perhaps prepare (or order) a cute welcome package and rolled up towels to set for the married guests, to give it a hotel-like feel.

Hire a babysitter for the little kids, at least for some of the time, if you want to spoil the marrieds.

Treat yourself to a book you enjoy.

Maybe have a party planner, or anyone creative who enjoys to party plan, set up the dining room (or where you'll be eating) very nicely for the meals/kiddush.

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 10:41 am
We made shabbos nachamu into a hotel weekend. My kids were upset “everyone” going away but us. They put signs on bedroom doors room 214 and make “keys” that said 214. They made place cards and schedules. We got extra magazines and fruit platters, and candy platters, peanut chew platters and set up a tea room. We got fancy paper goods and flowers. We ordered all the food including salmon, soup with lukshen, chicken, meat, kugel, side dishes, salads, challah everything. My husband picked up boxes of food and we stuck in oven. I didn’t cook or wash a dish. Got new books and toys for kids. It felt like a vacation shabbos in our own house. It was amazing don’t know if that’s what u have in mind.

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 10:43 am
yksraya wrote:
Hire waiter service, and cleaning help to do the dishes and cleaning after meals etc.

Cook in advance or order ready food.

Get some good milchig miniatures, cheesecakes and salads for milchig kiddush.

Perhaps prepare (or order) a cute welcome package and rolled up towels to set for the married guests, to give it a hotel-like feel.

Hire a babysitter for the little kids, at least for some of the time, if you want to spoil the marrieds.

Treat yourself to a book you enjoy.

Maybe have a party planner, or anyone creative who enjoys to party plan, set up the dining room (or where you'll be eating) very nicely for the meals/kiddush.

Why do you think the single kids wouldn't enjoy pampering too?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics