Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections
Q for the Science Geeks...
Previous  1  2

cbsp

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 2:27 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
If a bear makes a loud noise in the noise in the woods is it really a sound if no one is there to hear it

Inquiring minds want to know

We actually had a discussion about this in 10th grade earth science.

Except it was with a tree falling - and there is a difference.

The idea (IIRC) is that while sound waves are generated by the action, if there is nothing to "hear" the sound (like an ear) does that finish the action needed to actualize the sound.

In your example there's a bear who can presumably hear its own sounds...

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 2:32 pm
cbsp wrote:
We actually had a discussion about this in 10th grade earth science.

Except it was with a tree falling - and there is a difference.

The idea (IIRC) is that while sound waves are generated by the action, if there is nothing to "hear" the sound (like an ear) does that finish the action needed to actualize the sound.

In your example there's a bear who can presumably hear its own sounds...

exactly. We also discussed it in high school. Sound travels through waves. So if it didn't reach something that can translate the waves into sound (a human or animal ears) then the waves have gone out but they fizzled out before every getting translated into an actual sound.

Though my question would be: there's this researched concept that plants and other living things can "hear." Plants will react to music by releasing different chemicals, changes in their electromagnetic makeup etc. So if the trees in the forest "heard" then... perhaps that's the answer is that yes it did make a sound. Unless the way plants "hear" would not be considered "hearing" per se.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 2:35 pm
Malkqueen wrote:
Actually, your DH may be right about adding the ice cubes first.

Heat runs around trying to warm everything up. Cold just stays where it is. Meaning that the ice melts because the hot water is trying to warm it up, so to speak. However, it's countering a strong force (ice cubes!), so it loses all of its heat before it can effectively melt the cubes. So you have dark coffee with cubes, all very cold, which you then add cold milk to, making a nice iced coffee.

If you add milk first, then the hot water has a less powerful contender, so to speak, and as a result it can warm up the milk somewhat, bringing the whole drink to a cool, but not freezing temperature. Then the ice would come along, causing the cool milk to attempt to warm *that* up. However, because the coldness of the cubes isn't traveling outward to the milk, but instead melting at a very very slow pace, the actual liquid of the ice coffee won't be as cold as the other method.

interesting! Thanks for that!

But what usually happens is that the ice cubes all just melt right away. Leaving a warm'ish liquid. And then you need to add MORE ice cubes to make it real cold. When I add milk first. The ice cubes don't melt so fast. But I guess what you're saying is that they'll cool the warm'ish liquid at a slower pace?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 2:36 pm
nchr wrote:
Your husband's way makes it cooler faster but they eventually will reach the same temperature do its not like his way makes it cooler overall.

ok faster is certainly something - ain't got no extra time when waiting for that ice coffe Smile

Can you explain why it would take faster?

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 2:36 pm
Another idea, put the warm coffee in the freezer for a minute to cool it down before adding it to the ice cubes and milk. Enjoy your ice cold coffee!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 2:39 pm
cbsp wrote:
Please introduce him to cold brew!

I've heard of that but don't really get it. Do you buy a mixture? Or do you have to do some process to brew it? We don't have a coffee machine or brewer of any type.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 2:40 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
Another idea, put the warm coffee in the freezer for a minute to cool it down before adding it to the ice cubes and milk. Enjoy your ice cold coffee!

We do that sometimes! When we have the patience to wait for the ice coffee! Always much better because it's less watery.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 2:45 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
You can also wait until the coffee is completely dissolved 🤷🏻‍♀️

Why would I do that if I can add the milk first and sooner, and it works better with no yucky floating pieces? I need my coffee asap in the morning.

cbsp

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 2:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I've heard of that but don't really get it. Do you buy a mixture? Or do you have to do some process to brew it? We don't have a coffee machine or brewer of any type.

It's a process but one could purchase equipment that makes the process easier.

It's basically making a coffee concentrate by letting the ground coffee (not instant) soak in cold water for 12-24 hours. There are standardized ratios of water to coffee but ultimately it's up to personal taste.

The equipment helps contain the mixture and facilitate the filtering, but it's not required.

Once the mixture is filtered it's up to personal taste on how to utilize it. With the radio that we use, DH likes 1 part concentrate to 4 parts water, 2 parts milk, splash of half and half.

I'll do the same brew with equal parts brew, milk, half and half.

Can be used for hot or cold, but since it starts off cold it lends itself easier to a cold application. You may need a smidgen of hot water to dissolve real sugar, but it's not an issue if using liquid or artificial...

(and, FWIW, we started with cold brew way before our became a "thing" - the benefit is that the cold extraction leaves behind much of the coffee's acid that would normally be extracted by the hot water)

Frumme

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 3:51 pm
Doesn't answer your question but you can make it less watery if you freeze coffee in ice cube trays and use the frozen coffee for your iced coffee making purposes

Malkqueen

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 4:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
interesting! Thanks for that!

But what usually happens is that the ice cubes all just melt right away. Leaving a warm'ish liquid. And then you need to add MORE ice cubes to make it real cold. When I add milk first. The ice cubes don't melt so fast. But I guess what you're saying is that they'll cool the warm'ish liquid at a slower pace?

Yes, that's basically it. Both versions will end up cold, but your husband's way is faster.

Just wondering about the ratios you're using, though. If you say the ice cubes melt right away, are you using crushed ice or do you put a lot of hot water in to dissolve the coffee? When I make ice coffee, for a 12 oz cup I use a max of 2 to 3 oz hot water, and then about 5 ice cubes is enough to cool it off properly.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 10:44 am
you can do what I do, brew the coffee the night before and have cold coffee the next morning!! I sometimes add ice cubes but its freezing cold so just some milk is fine Very Happy

tigerwife

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 11:00 am
My close observations of baristas have taught to add ice first, then flavored syrup if you use it, then a shot of espresso or instant coffee dissolved in a bit of water, and top with milk. This creates a beautiful coffee, too. Yum.

cbsp

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 11:49 am
Coincidentally (or not), I got this in an email from ATK yesterday:

America's Test kitchen cold brew
http://www.americastestkitchen.....offee

We definitely don't do all that (buy pre-ground, no French press (we use a Toddy), regular water, etc), and we definitely make way more at a time but I feel that she explains the concepts well.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 11:52 am
sequoia wrote:
Why are you like this?

Seriously. What’s wrong with this thread? In your “professional” opinion.

I didn’t see anything wrong with her post. It was perfectly appropriate for this thread and made me smile.

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 12:03 pm
tigerwife wrote:
My close observations of baristas have taught to add ice first, then flavored syrup if you use it, then a shot of espresso or instant coffee dissolved in a bit of water, and top with milk. This creates a beautiful coffee, too. Yum.

They may do that to avoid splashing when adding the ice to an almost full cup. Or to meet their "ice quota".

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 12:55 pm
cbsp wrote:
Coincidentally (or not), I got this in an email from ATK yesterday:

America's Test kitchen cold brew
http://www.americastestkitchen.....offee

We definitely don't do all that (buy pre-ground, no French press (we use a Toddy), regular water, etc), and we definitely make way more at a time but I feel that she explains the concepts well.

thank you, gonna check that out later!

(any geeks got any insight on the soda gas q?)

enneamom

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 1:06 pm
You can buy the ice cube trays that make giant ice cubes, and then it only takes 2 cubes and they don't melt completely. That's my method Smile
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics