Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Plz tell me im not alone
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 12:31 pm
my baby just turned 5 months and she's a great baby but still wakes up a bunch in the night to nurse, and I feel like whoever I speak with is telling me they should be sleeping through the night by now.
8pm- nurse then sleep
11pm- nurse right back to slep
2/3 am- nurse back to sleep
6/7- nurse back to sleep
8:30 up for day

-she nurses at night for like 7 minutes and then fals asleepp right after b"h

is thihs crazy, should I sleep train my baby to not need these feedings
plz help- need advice!
thnx

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 12:34 pm
My 1 year old still does that

TravelHearter

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 12:35 pm
My kids were formula fed at that point so this may be different for you but my pediatrician said to stop the night feedings because they didn’t need it. Once we did that and they got used to it we slept trained.

challahchallah

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 12:38 pm
Does this schedule work for you? Don’t listen to what other people think should be happening at this point. If you and your baby are happy, this schedule sounds great. If you are miserable getting up at night, then your baby is old enough to sleep train. Do what works for your family and ignore other people’s irrelevant opinion.

elaela

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 12:38 pm
my kids are not such great sleepers Smile but otherwise amazing kids. at 5 months I started giving daisa for supper, and I ONLY had to nurse/bottlefeed two more times during the night instead of 4.
people also recommended me to top nightfeedings but I just didnt get HOW- eventually they stopped waking up.

U R NOT ALONE

elaela

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 12:39 pm
my kids are not such great sleepers Smile but otherwise amazing kids. at 5 months I started giving daisa for supper, and I ONLY had to nurse/bottlefeed two more times during the night instead of 4.
people also recommended me to top nightfeedings but I just didnt get HOW- eventually they stopped waking up.

U R NOT ALONE

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 12:40 pm
At 5 months it is totally normal for an infant to wake multiple times a night. This is the fourth trimester, and they still need a lot of contact for proper nervous system development. Every baby is different, so it's not helpful to compare much. Just give your baby what he she needs based on his/her cues. Babies don't lie. Ever.

hodeez

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 12:41 pm
Are you sure baby is getting enough milk?

stillnewlywed

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 1:05 pm
Are you okay with this? Functioning or exhausted at work?
If it's working for you and you don't want to stress about dropping feeds then it is what it is.
A 5 month old can definitely go 5+ hours without a feed though, so 11 pm feed is definitely just a bad habit. If you want to stop it you have to stop nursing to sleep at night and cut out that feed. If you are trying to get rid of it, don't feed before 1 am no matter what. Soothe her in other ways.

finprof

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 1:10 pm
If you are OK doing this its fine, no matter what others say! I was adamant about nursing but I needed my sleep so I eventually gave a bottle at bedtime which helped them sleep longer. Do what is best for both of you.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 1:13 pm
I was fine with it and did it my kids are older now that some of you and have turned out pretty ok.

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 1:18 pm
OMG please don’t listen to people.
Many 5 months olds don’t sleep through the night.

imaima

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 1:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
my baby just turned 5 months and she's a great baby but still wakes up a bunch in the night to nurse, and I feel like whoever I speak with is telling me they should be sleeping through the night by now.
8pm- nurse then sleep
6/7- nurse back to sleep

plz help- need advice!
thnx

Sounds fine to me.

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 1:27 pm
My 6 month old still does that, and she camps out in my bed all night

Sesame

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 1:52 pm
Yes ALL babies should be sleeping through the night. Don’t you know they should also be reading and paying bills and changing their diapers too 😳
Don’t listen to other ppl!
If you’re worried you can double check with the doctor, but nothing sounds worrying here. Tiring yes. But babies are tiring. If you would like to change things then I’m sure ppl can offer good pointers if you ask.

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 1:54 pm
Sounds pretty much like my babies. I think it's pretty normal. I think the ones that sleep through the night are the ones that are unusual.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 2:41 pm
THANK you all for your advice and reassurance!!
im managing its just alittle tiring but b"h much better then newborn stage
any advice for cutting out maybe just one of the feedings?

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 2:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
8pm- nurse then sleep
6/7- nurse back to sleep

plz help- need advice!
thnx

My baby is same age, he slept through night already and then started waking every 3 hours, then randomly one night slept 5 hours straight.
Was thinking what I did that day different .
The last feeding before bed was after 4 hour space ( I usually nurse after 3 hours) so I tried it again. Basically that he needed more at that last feed and then slept better, went 6-8 hours .

Since he went 4 hours he ate more and was full enough not to have to wake for feeding during the night other than once or 2 times before waking up.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 3:14 pm
Wow that’s hard! I would try nursing well at 8 like for a full 40 minutes. Then pushing off bedtime until 11 and giving a bottle of 6-8 oz instead of nursing which should keep her full for at least 4-6 hours.
If she’s only eating 15 minutes at a time of course she’s walking up very often to eat- it’s not enough for her.

silverlining3

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 3:19 pm
You are definitely not alone.

As long as I nurse my babies tend to wake regularly for feedings. It was a little tiring, but as long as they didn't stay up crying just fell right back asleep, I was really fine with it. I didn't care what other did or said.

I never sleep train my kids. They all started sleeping through at different ages.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics