Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Cellulitis and normal white count possible?UPDATE
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 11:50 am
DD has cellulitis on her foot. Dr took a CBC I dunno why. But her white count was 10.0. Doesn't cellulitis always come with a high count? Just trying to understand.

ImmaBubby

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 12:59 pm
I had cellulitis once and the doc didn’t do any blood work at all...

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 2:28 pm
Yes it’s possible. Peripheral counts don’t always rise In response to infection, especially not local ones.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 2:51 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
Yes it’s possible. Peripheral counts don’t always rise In response to infection, especially not local ones.

Does it make the infection less severe or it doesn't make a difference? If I wouldn't start treating it right away would the numbers go up?

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 2:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Does it make the infection less severe or it doesn't make a difference? If I wouldn't start treating it right away would the numbers go up?
Assuming you have a functioning immune system, it probably means it isn’t too severe. A high white count means mounting a strong attack, but could also mean struggling and needs help. But it needs treatment regardless.

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 2:56 pm
Maybe her white count is usually on the lower end?
Also, what are her symptoms?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 3:03 pm
Sorry for all these questions. Trying to understand. My Dr freaked me out to death. So I wonder if it's so bad in reality.
I know cellulitis is serious business. She's getting a strong medication, elevating foot and not walking around. Just trying to understand. Never had such an experience.
DD had fever and pain on the foot. Specific area is red, painful, and a little swollen. I think typical cellulitis symptoms. DD isn't feeling "sick" just a bit feverish. From my experience with my other kids 10 is a very normal count. I don't know what her normal is.
My Dr made it sound that's it's so dangerous and I have to keep on watching it and being on top of it.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 3:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Sorry for all these questions. Trying to understand. My Dr freaked me out to death. So I wonder if it's so bad in reality.
I know cellulitis is serious business. She's getting a strong medication, elevating foot and not walking around. Just trying to understand. Never had such an experience.
DD had fever and pain on the foot. Specific area is red, painful, and a little swollen. I think typical cellulitis symptoms. DD isn't feeling "sick" just a bit feverish. From my experience with my other kids 10 is a very normal count. I don't know what her normal is.
My Dr made it sound that's it's so dangerous and I have to keep on watching it and being on top of it.
The infection needs treatment regardless of whether the white count is elevated or not. Fever is a sign her body is fighting.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 3:44 pm
The infection needs treatment regardless of whether the white count is elevated or not. Fever is a sign her body is fighting.

I know that. She's on medication

mfb

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 3:49 pm
Please make sure to treat it fully. If it goes further into the blood stream it can need hospitalization.
Also for the future the people I know that had it once got it a few more times. They have to be on top of any bruises they get in that area.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 4:00 pm
mfb wrote:
Please make sure to treat it fully. If it goes further into the blood stream it can need hospitalization.
Also for the future the people I know that had it once got it a few more times. They have to be on top of any bruises they get in that area.

How would I know if it goes into the bloodstream?
I just heard that. A sibling of mine kept on getting back again and again for a while. I'm so scared. I keep on checking on it making sure it's not getting worse.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 4:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I just heard that. A sibling of mine kept on getting back again and again for a while. I'm so scared. I keep on checking on it making sure it's not getting worse.

To see if the meds are working you can make a line with a marker to outline the red part and see if it grows out of those lines

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 4:55 pm
It can take time for wbc to change depending on how recent infection started. Cellulitis can be mild and it can also get severe and require hospitalization. Just keep an eye, you will know if it gets severe.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 5:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I had cellulitis on my foot when I was in high school. It's about 20 years since then, I've never gotten again bh. Not everyone gets again. Don't be so concerned.
I did have a red line starting to go up my foot, which almost put me in the hospital. Watch out for that.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 5:51 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
I had cellulitis on my foot when I was in high school. It's about 20 years since then, I've never gotten again bh. Not everyone gets again. Don't be so concerned.
I did have a red line starting to go up my foot, which almost put me in the hospital. Watch out for that.

Ooh now you're scaring me. DD is taking meds. What else can she do to prevent it? DD is taking clindamycin 3x a day.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 6:15 pm
DD told me it only hurts her when she touches it. It doesn't hurt her when she walks to the bathroom or sits with her feet up.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 6:21 pm
I know you're not supposed to contact Dr Google. But Dr. Google says that cold compress can help heal cellulitis faster. Is it true or not?

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 6:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I know you're not supposed to contact Dr Google. But Dr. Google says that cold compress can help heal cellulitis faster. Is it true or not?
You could do a bentonite clay poultice.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 6:37 pm
You could do a bentonite clay poultice.

Huh? Whats that??

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 6:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Huh? Whats that??
Mix some bentonite clay with water to make a paste and spread over infected area. Bentonite has healing properties and will draw out toxins and bacteria
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics