Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Books similar to BY Times
Previous  1  2  3

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 9:59 am
If you can find them, the Cheery Bim Band series is very good. It's a series of 10 books and not new, so I guess that makes them classics! Smile The main characters are all boys. This is a frum series; there is no boy-girl stuff. Some of them were written by M.C. Millman.
Link: https://www.amazon.com/Cheery-.....21893

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 9:59 am
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Boxcar children are not as high a level as bakers dozen, but no boyfriends for at least the first twenty books.
(If she really is gifted, she probably read boxcar last year.)
Yes, boxcar was last year. She is 2e (she has adhd-I as well) but she hyper focuses on her reading. She can read any level tbh, but it needs to be age appropriate.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 10:00 am
Rubber Ducky wrote:
If you can find them, the Cheery Bim Band series is very good. It's a series of 10 books and not new, so I guess that makes them classics! Smile The main characters are all boys. This is a frum series; there is no boy-girl stuff. Some of them were written by M.C. Millman.
Link: https://www.amazon.com/Cheery-.....21893
I grew up with the cheery bim band Smile I loved those books as a kid. I’ll have to look for them.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 11:06 am
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Lady Amelie is written on a very low level. I was surprised. The sentence structure was very simple, and sentences were very short.

However, A Sister In White, by Miriam Zakon, about Schvester Selma, and The Queen of BY, about Rebbetzin Judith Grunfeld, are on fourth grade level, and are beautiful books. They may be a little too bloody for an 8yr old... Discuss wars. I like them because they give lots of historical background.

I agree the others are too intense so I didn't suggest them. OTOH, this is the only accessible biography of Lady Jakobovits and I know some bright fourth graders who loved it.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 11:10 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
She’s at the end of third grade. I have bought her many non Jewish books and the ones she loves are the series. Dh is unhappy with what she’s reading because the books all discuss boyfriends.
I will look at all those. Hopefully I can find the reading level for these books somewhere.

You know, it's just occurred to me that 8 could mean the end of 3rd grade, not 2nd. So you do have more options.
Re Menucha: They do offer reading level suggestions for some books. I think for the Menucha classroom books. I've noticed that some of the age levels are lower than I'd expect.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 6:04 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
You know, it's just occurred to me that 8 could mean the end of 3rd grade, not 2nd. So you do have more options.
Re Menucha: They do offer reading level suggestions for some books. I think for the Menucha classroom books. I've noticed that some of the age levels are lower than I'd expect.
Menucha says the lady amelie books are the same age as bakers dozen. They’re both officially 5th grade level.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 6:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Menucha says the lady amelie books are the same age as bakers dozen. They’re both officially 5th grade level.

And kids discover them and fully appreciate them a year earlier. At least.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 6:51 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
And kids discover them and fully appreciate them a year earlier. At least.
I’m very surprised that they’re pegging them at 5th grade level. My guess is that they’re using software to determine the grade level and it doesn’t really match up with when most kids start reading them.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 7:15 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
She’s at the end of third grade. I have bought her many non Jewish books and the ones she loves are the series. Dh is unhappy with what she’s reading because the books all discuss boyfriends.
I will look at all those. Hopefully I can find the reading level for these books somewhere.

That’s what I love about menuchaclassrooms.com all the secular books are vetted with censor levels so you can find ones that are appropriate
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room