Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Purim Tzniut

tichelqueen

Post Thu, Feb 28 2008, 10:45 am
I am sending a clown costume for my 7 year old sister from Israel for Purim. It is a baggy suit and I was wondering if this is tzanua for a girl of her age to wear. She is in quite a modern school. I could add some material and make it a skirt but I think it will ruin the effect. Let me know what you think

louche

Post Thu, Feb 28 2008, 10:57 am
IMO it would be quite fine, but I'm not Lubav and have no objection to 7-y/o girls wearing pajama pants, which Lubavs do.

tichelqueen

Post Thu, Feb 28 2008, 11:02 am
By the way, forgot to mention her school is mixed

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Feb 28 2008, 2:08 pm
louche wrote:
IMO it would be quite fine, but I'm not Lubav and have no objection to 7-y/o girls wearing pajama pants, which Lubavs do.

????????????????????????

Tehilla

Post Thu, Feb 28 2008, 2:30 pm
louche wrote:

Lubavitch is not the only one who holds that girls over the age of 3 should wear fully tznius clothing.

bashinda

Post Thu, Feb 28 2008, 2:47 pm
yes but pajama pants aren't necessarily the same as regular pants

right now I have my 4 year old in pajamas with pants because it's more tsnius than if she wore a nightgown. I think by the time she's 7 however, she'll be in nightgowns.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Feb 28 2008, 2:50 pm
But BasHinda, she's not wearing her PJ pants to deliver S.M., is she ?

bashinda

Post Thu, Feb 28 2008, 2:59 pm
No certainly not. I was commenting to Tehilla who was commenting to louche. if you read their posts what I said will make sense.
Yes Lubavitch won't put pants on girls over 3 but they might put pajama pants on girls a little older than 3. It's more fuzzy with pajama pants and I don't mean the material Smile

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Feb 28 2008, 3:04 pm
bashinda wrote:
No certainly not. I was commenting to Tehilla who was commenting to louche. if you read their posts what I said will make sense.
Yes Lubavitch won't put pants on girls over 3 but they might put pajama pants on girls a little older than 3. It's more fuzzy with pajama pants and I don't mean the material Smile

Of course I read all the posts. Pants at home is not considered in public.

Tehilla

Post Thu, Feb 28 2008, 3:09 pm
my daughter actually wears pajama pants under a long nightgown. she's 3.5.

but the discussion was about shalach manos was it not?

Ruchel

Post Thu, Feb 28 2008, 3:44 pm
if she's MO, large pants should be ok?

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Feb 28 2008, 4:32 pm
Or sefardi.

louche

Post Fri, Feb 29 2008, 11:41 am
Tehilla wrote:
my daughter actually wears pajama pants under a long nightgown. she's 3.5.

but the discussion was about shalach manos was it not?

actually, no, It was about a Purim costume, period. my point was, if you're Lubav and you won't even put your little girl in pj pants to sleep in bed where no one will see her, kal vachomer you won't put her in a trousered clown costume to go around on Purim.

and there was, IIRC, a whole thread about this in which at least some people stated categorically that they would not put pj pants on their little girls even under a nightgown.

Tehilla

Post Fri, Feb 29 2008, 11:46 am
okay, okay...

my point was simply that Lubavitchers are not the only ones who won't put a child over age 3 in pants. your statement said "you're not Lubavitch and have no objections, but Lubavitchers do."

sorry for my incorrect statement regarding Purim costume (I guess I just jumped to the assumption about delivering shalach manos). it doesn't matter really whether we are talking about only a costume, or about delivering, or about any day of the week.

I wasn't certain why you were pointedly mentioning Lubavitchers, when we're not the only ones who do that.

Atali

Post Fri, Feb 29 2008, 12:11 pm
I recall reading that R' Moshe Feinstein forbids pants from the age of five.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Feb 29 2008, 12:53 pm
Right, he deems that age the age of chnuch. In Lub we start at 3.

GAMZu

Post Fri, Feb 29 2008, 1:01 pm
Quote:
if you're Lubav and you won't even put your little girl in pj pants to sleep in bed

I see it's been addressed already, but I can't help sticking in my 2 cents to add that no way is this done only amongst Lubavich.

Atali

Post Fri, Feb 29 2008, 1:06 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
Right, he deems that age the age of chnuch. In Lub we start at 3.

But the OP is referring to a seven year old MO girl. Also, as I understand the issue of starting tznius from three is not because of chinuch, but because of ervah.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Feb 29 2008, 1:19 pm
How could it be ervah at 3 and chinuch at 5 ?

Atali

Post Fri, Feb 29 2008, 1:25 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
How could it be ervah at 3 and chinuch at 5 ?

First of all, not everyone says that it is ervah from three. Some poskim hold that tznius (aka the ervah issue) doesn't apply until six or even seven (this seems to be how R'Moshe holds), but R' Moshe said that PANTS apply from five (for the purpose of chinuch in the issur of beged ish).

Meaning that from what I can tell (I could be wrong), R' Moshe would be fine with a five year old wearing a skirt and short sleeves.

But even according to the meikel opinions that I have seen, seven is too old.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics