Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Starting a clothing line - HELP PLEASE

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 5:44 pm
So I’m looking to start my own clothing line, it’s something I’ve wanted to do forever and figure now is the best time to jump into it.

I’ll start off selling online and through Instagram really, mostly what I need help with right now is to find a manufacturer and really just get any advice for having this be successful

If anyone has done this and can give advice/recommend companies to work with that would be great!

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 6:08 pm
No advice I’m sorry, but I just wanted to wish you good luck! It sounds so fun and I hope it works out smoothly and easily for you. Wishing you loads of Hatzlacha

momofkids

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 7:15 pm
you can reach out to DRAMA on Instagram she is a young girl that opened up her own clothing company maybe you can ask her your questions

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 8:38 pm
If you saw the size thread, there's a huge need for 16+ clothing that are stylish and current. If you can fill that need you'll have yourself lots of customers. You don't need to limit to 16+ you can do regular brand that just goes up until a 20 or even higher. The people will come, they are desperate for cute clothing in their size.

Hatzlacha!!

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 8:39 pm
Also Rivky Itzkowitz from Impact Fashion NYC is another young person who started a clothing line.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 9:05 pm
I used to work in the business, although I cannot reccomend a manufacturer currently I will watch this thread for anything else you might ask. Good luck!

SuperWify

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 10:12 pm
Sorry op but no one is going to give out their contacts or manufactures for free. You are going to need to scout your own and it take a lot of time, patience, web savvy, and of course money.

Since there are hundreds of clothing lines out their think long and hard of a niche you can create and stand out in.

Hatzlocha and good luck!

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 2:50 am
Please make things with breathable material for the summer. We are in Israel and my girls and I have booked everywhere and it is so hard to find anything in cotton or a cotton blend. We would be prepared to spend much more for that. All the stores here have these gorgeous gorgeous dresses for a ton of money but we can't wear them in the summer for any amount of money.

Rappel

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 2:53 am
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
Please make things with breathable material for the summer. We are in Israel and my girls and I have booked everywhere and it is so hard to find anything in cotton or a cotton blend. We would be prepared to spend much more for that. All the stores here have these gorgeous gorgeous dresses for a ton of money but we can't wear them in the summer for any amount of money.

Try shamayim ve'aretz. I haven't seen their selection this season, but they're usually very good at making beautiful clothes from cotton blends.

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 3:17 am
https://www.koshercasual.com/

Amother Tan - I am so happy with the dress I bought from them, it's light and comfy, and their customer service is fabulous.

Bas Yisrael

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 5:03 am
I’m sorry, not familiar with manufacturers. All I know is, there’s a real shortage in quality teen clothing stores or companies. It’s either you buy in the better children’s stores and fit into the up to size 20-22 available options (which are mostly not cut and designed for growing teens) or you sail into either lower end or upscale women’s wear clothing stores; who sell the same thing for your 8th grader as you would be looking at for yourself or your mother. Ridiculous. I wish there were stores (preferably like the Brooklyn Judy’s nook, Baby ‘n boutique, Whoopi, Tiny Town, etc. ) selling clothing only for teens. Just like there are multitudes of stores selling only for babies or only for children. Ages 13 to 19.. or 12 go Kallah age... you get the drift. I would totally come and send everyone I know... I’m too lazy to open up such a business myself but wishing you lots of luck and success.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 5:24 am
Go to Alibaba (not Express). Look for clothing similar to what you want to design. Contact the manufacturer, and ask them to send you fabric samples. Be VERY specific. Get production quotes up front!

Pick your fabric, and send them a PDF with your pattern and complete details on how you want the seams finished (French seams, double stitched, single stitched?)

Have them send you the sample garment, and see if the transaction was smooth and easy. If so, have them make the garment for you in several colors of the fabric of your choice. They will also be able to sew in your brand label on ribbon.

*On a personal note, can you make shirts with longer sleeves? I'm 5'7", and I have freakishly long monkey arms. Every shirt I own looks like it shrunk in the wash, even though I was on cold, stretch it out, and line dry it. If something says "long sleeves", I can be sure that it will fit me like 3/4 sleeves, and look really weird. SO FRUSTRATING!

"Tall Girl" type shops charge 3 times as much as a similar shirt, just for a few extra inches of fabric. I don't need the whole shirt to be extra long, just the sleeves.

Best of luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics